Conquer Club

Marriage Equality

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Marriage Equality

Postby CBlake on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 am

dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
Captain CBlake

Re: Marriage Equality

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 am

That's beautiful. Nicely posted.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Darn. I shared this on Facebook weeks ago. I'll have to post more :P

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Equal boredom of marriage for everyone!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby CBlake on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:Darn. I shared this on Facebook weeks ago. I'll have to post more :P

BMO

I've loved this and many others of his songs for quite a while, but due to the recent stirrup over this I thought I would post it =)
Captain CBlake

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 am

While I appreciate what he's trying to do, it's a little off-putting when he spends the first 30 seconds to a minute making it abundantly clear to listeners that he is not gay. "
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby CBlake on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am

thegreekdog wrote:While I appreciate what he's trying to do, it's a little off-putting when he spends the first 30 seconds to a minute making it abundantly clear to listeners that he is not gay. "

Hmm I think he's being genuine. The things he liked to do are stereotypes associated with gay people, I like it, but I guess I can see how you might not.
Captain CBlake

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

CBlake wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:While I appreciate what he's trying to do, it's a little off-putting when he spends the first 30 seconds to a minute making it abundantly clear to listeners that he is not gay. "

Hmm I think he's being genuine. The things he liked to do are stereotypes associated with gay people, I like it, but I guess I can see how you might not.

I'm fine with it. I just think he's being a little hypocritical since he goes on about rap culture and yet makes the same "mistake" (for lack of a better term) in the beginning of the video. Ultimately, for gay marriage (and homosexuality generally) to be accepted in rap culture, it's going to take more than this anyway so it's not that big a deal.

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Why is it a "mistake" for him to say that he is not gay?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Why is it a "mistake" for him to say that he is not gay?

Hmm... I knew I shouldn't have used that word.

He made a big deal at the beginning of the video that he wasn't gay. It bothered me. He could have said nothing at all about his own sexuality.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 pm

thegreekdog wrote:

He made a big deal at the beginning of the video that he wasn't gay. It bothered me. He could have said nothing at all about his own sexuality.

From my own experience, I've tended to see a fair number of allies who were "new" to the ally scene go out of there way to make this sort declaration. It is probably made for any number of reasons, but I think a top few are is that sometimes newer allies think their argument will carry more weight with "fellow straight" individuals, if they declare up front "I am one of you, but look what I support" sort of thing. Additionally, in other cases, sometimes the declaration is there to fend off the stigma that is still sometimes associated with being homosexual personally, which is of course disappointing.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

From my own experience, I've tended to see a fair number of allies who were "new" to the ally scene go out of there way to make this sort declaration. It is probably made for any number of reasons, but I think a top few are is that sometimes newer allies think their argument will carry more weight with "fellow straight" individuals, if they declare up front "I am one of you, but look what I support" sort of thing. Additionally, in other cases, sometimes the declaration is there to fend off the stigma that is still sometimes associated with being homosexual personally, which is of course disappointing.

--Andy

Yes, that is ultimately what I got from his seeming insistence that he's straight. The rap community is not very tolerant of gays and I was disappointed that a pro-gay rapper would make these kinds of statements.

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

--Andy

Yes, that is ultimately what I got from his seeming insistence that he's straight. The rap community is not very tolerant of gays and I was disappointed that a pro-gay rapper would make these kinds of statements.

I believe you missed the point. He wasn't taking to time explain "I'm not gay." He was discussing his personal experience with thinking he might have been gay, and then being told by someone else that he can't be gay because he doesn't conform to the stereotype. He bemoaned the fact that this stereotype exists and that we essentially use it to influence our children and their perception of sexual norms.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

--Andy

I believe you missed the point. He wasn't taking to time explain "I'm not gay." He was discussing his personal experience with thinking he might have been gay, and then being told by someone else that he can't be gay because he doesn't conform to the stereotype. He bemoaned the fact that this stereotype exists and that we essentially use it to influence our children and their perception of sexual norms.

I had a different interpretation than you did.

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I agree with TGD. On one hand he wants to get an invite to Ellen and Portio's anniversary bash, on the other he doesn't want to alienate the generally gay skeptic hip hop crowd who are paying the lease on his Tesla. So he had to throw in a musical disclaimer, kinda throwing his gay friends under the bus in the process.

Though I question whether Macklemore's light, airy pop rap really attracts the typical hip hop crowd or more white guys having a midlife crisis.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby 2dimes on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Though I question whether Macklemore's light, airy pop rap really attracts the typical hip hop crowd or more white guys having a midlife crisis.

No. The movie part was good.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 pm

saxitoxin wrote:I agree with TGD. On one hand he wants to get an invite to Ellen and Portio's anniversary bash, on the other he doesn't want to alienate the generally gay skeptic hip hop crowd who are paying the lease on his Tesla. So he had to throw in a musical disclaimer, kinda throwing his gay friends under the bus in the process.

Though I question whether Macklemore's light, airy pop rap really attracts the typical hip hop crowd or more white guys having a midlife crisis.

I don't think he was trying to attract the typical hip-hop crowd. That said, I don't think it does :P

BMO

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:I agree with TGD. On one hand he wants to get an invite to Ellen and Portio's anniversary bash, on the other he doesn't want to alienate the generally gay skeptic hip hop crowd who are paying the lease on his Tesla. So he had to throw in a musical disclaimer, kinda throwing his gay friends under the bus in the process.

I don't think he was trying to attract the typical hip-hop crowd. That said, I don't think it does :P

BMO

I think he was trying to attract the typical rap crowd, or at least that should have been the purpose of the song. And that's a noble thing to do. But, again, I'm bothered by the beginning is all. To be fair, I don't know who this guy is (although I've heard the name before and I believe he's popular), so I don't know if his music generally appeals to the typical rap crowd or not. But I would say the same thing if it was Jay-Z or RZA.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

BMO

I think he was trying to attract the typical rap crowd, or at least that should have been the purpose of the song. And that's a noble thing to do. But, again, I'm bothered by the beginning is all. To be fair, I don't know who this guy is (although I've heard the name before and I believe he's popular), so I don't know if his music generally appeals to the typical rap crowd or not. But I would say the same thing if it was Jay-Z or RZA.

My reasoning that it doesn't really appeal to the rap crowd (which has been leaning more and more towards gay acceptance, especially with the coming out of Frank Ocean) is due to not entirely it's lyrical content, but the style of the music. Like Saxi said, it's really airy.

BMO

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

So shave it.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm

It's like those radio stations today that play "The Best of the 80s, 90s and Today" ... in 40 years, when they're playing "The Best of the 00s, Teens and Today" - Macklemore will be every third song being played. Maybe Bruno Mars, too.

He's basically writing the soundtrack a mom in 2040 will rock out to while driving her mini-van to pick-up AoG Jr. from the pediatrician before he has to get to soccer practice.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby CBlake on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 am

jonesthecurl wrote:So shave it.

I lol'd
Captain CBlake

Postby CBlake on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 am

Some very good input here. I'm not exactly analyzing it the same way Greek is. Due to his childhood innocence and assuming he believes being good at art and being tidy are traits of gay people due to stereotypes surrounding him. Also he says his uncle was gay as well.. Who knows, a child could believe this would make him more likely to be gay(Just throwing ideas around here).

As far as demographics go, its true Macklemore is more likely to attract the pop crowd, however some of his music does reach the typical rap crowd. He is one of the most original and unique rappers in modern day because he is not afraid to express his views as well as be different and silly, as he does in "And We Danced" and "Thrift Shop".
Captain CBlake

Postby 2dimes on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 am

saxitoxin wrote:It's like those radio stations today that play "The Best of the 80s, 90s and Today" ... in 40 years, when they're playing "The Best of the 00s, Teens and Today" - Macklemore will be every third song being played. Maybe Bruno Mars, too.

He's basically writing the soundtrack a mom in 2040 will rock out to while driving her mini-van to pick-up AoG Jr. from the pediatrician before he has to get to soccer practice.

This is very probable.

I was pushing a shopping cart with my children and rather enjoying the experience. I realized the ambient song was Blitzkrieg Bop by the Remones. Obviously what they originally had in mind when they wrote the tune.

Time to buy some cow's milk,
Checking the expiry,
So put it in the cart now,
The Blitzkrieg shop!
Corporal 2dimes

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Corporal saxitoxin

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,