Conquer Club

MLB 2013

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: MLB 2013

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Serbia wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Serbia wrote:Ryan Braun just got suspended for the rest of the season for violating MLB's drug policy. Whoa.

Bollocks.

Considering the Brewers are horrible and Braun already has a contract for next year, him and the team don't lose much with this ban, which is a shame. Bans should actually hurt.

He's been suspended without pay; it'll cost him $3.85 million in salary. Of course, he's under contract through 2020 after signing a 5 year extension worth $105 million in 2011.

Bollocks.

And they probably get a worse record and a higher draft pick.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Serbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Tim Hudson shouldn't have had his foot on the bag like that.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Serbia wrote:Tim Hudson shouldn't have had his foot on the bag like that.

Bollocks.

The image of it gives me nightmares.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:31 pm

what happened?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Serbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm

nietzsche wrote:what happened?

When they get internets in Mexico, you'll be able to use it to find out for yourself. They've got things like Google and YouTube on there.

Bollocks.
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 pm

grounder to first, Hudson went to cover bag, reached with his foot a bunch of times but couldn't find it, finally found it, puts foot on the middle of the bag and it gets stepped on. Ankle gets to 90 degrees.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:12 pm

show: Look if you dare
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

the liner Cobb received was worse than that
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Army of GOD wrote:

grounder to first, Hudson went to cover bag, reached with his foot a bunch of times but couldn't find it, finally found it, puts foot on the middle of the bag and it gets stepped on. Ankle gets to 90 degrees.

I'd say it's more like 80-85 degrees
General nietzsche

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

I'd say it's more like 80-85 degrees

The Big Brain's got his protractor out!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:48 am

Peavy getting traded (was pulled from his start).
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Serbia wrote:

When they get internets in Mexico, you'll be able to use it to find out for yourself. They've got things like Google and YouTube on there.

You misspelled "The Google".

Source: My parents
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:53 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Peavy getting traded (was pulled from his start).

Speaking of trades, I have been very surprised at the Phillies not being willing to part with
Chase Utley at this point, now that they appear to have decided they're out of the running
for the season.

I mean, he's a great player and all, but he's got some mileage on him at this point, and he'd
be wonderful trade bait, I would think. So I'm really surprised that Amaro is looking at
re-signing him instead of trading him.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Speaking of trades, I have been very surprised at the Phillies not being willing to part with
Chase Utley at this point, now that they appear to have decided they're out of the running
for the season.

I mean, he's a great player and all, but he's got some mileage on him at this point, and he'd
be wonderful trade bait, I would think. So I'm really surprised that Amaro is looking at

There's a large element of Philadelphia fans who are loathe to part ways with Utley. Those fans include Amaro's bosses. There is a history of big time loyalty in the Phillies organization (with some exceptions - e.g. Mike Arbuckle), so it would not surprise me if David Montgomery called Amaro into his office and told him to resign Utley to be a Phillie for life.

I also heard they won't trade Rollins either (and that Rollins would exercise his no trade clause). Right now, it seems a sure bet that at least Michael Young is getting traded and there are rumors that Cliff Lee could go to the Red Sox. I suspect Papelbon and Ruiz stick around until waivers if not for the remainder of the season.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:11 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

for the season.

There's a large element of Philadelphia fans who are loathe to part ways with Utley.

I absolutely can understand that, from the fans' perspective. I love him, and I'm no Phillies fan. It's a lot like how I felt when the Cardinals allowed Pujols to depart. And there's nothing wrong with the loyalty aspect...it's nice to see, to be honest.

Still though...it just seems like the "sell high" perfect point to me.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

for the season.

There's a large element of Philadelphia fans who are loathe to part ways with Utley.

I absolutely can understand that, from the fans' perspective. I love him, and I'm no Phillies fan. It's a lot like how I felt when the Cardinals allowed Pujols to depart. And there's nothing wrong with the loyalty aspect...it's nice to see, to be honest.

Still though...it just seems like the "sell high" perfect point to me.

I agree. I assume you read the rest of my post (though you didn't quote it). It's pretty well documented that the Phillies upper management/ownership have favorites and reward those people.

In any event, if I had to vote with my heart, I vote to trade Michael Young and Papelbon. I love Rollins, Ruiz, and Utley (and Cliff Lee - we have that underdog, chip-on-our-shoulder thing in Philadelphia where we like when people spurn New York in favor of us; which is what we believe Lee did).

If I had to vote with my head, trade them all right now. Ruiz, Utley, and Young are all on last years of contracts, so won't get much for them (but better than nothing). Rollins has another year left after this one, but value is highest now. Papelbon and Lee are big contracts and aren't helping you.

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

I agree with both of you and Phillies management. Utley is a player to keep, no matter if at the end you are overpaying him. He's the kind of player dad's will talk about to their sons, creating more value for the franchise.

And, actually, he doesn't seem to be declining, at least not in this season.
General nietzsche

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:26 pm

nietzsche wrote:I agree with both of you and Phillies management. Utley is a player to keep, no matter if at the end you are overpaying him. He's the kind of player dad's will talk about to their sons, creating more value for the franchise.

And, actually, he doesn't seem to be declining, at least not in this season.

He's not declining, but he will decline at some point. Last I heard, the Phillies were going to resign him. He's my second favorite player of this iteration of the Phillies (i.e. 2005 to now). Ruiz is my favorite.

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Bad losing streaks suck, especially when the team looks downright UGLY against teams that actually want to show up and are motivated to beat them.
Major Night Strike

Postby Serbia on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Rumors are Peavy to Boston from ChiSox, Avisail Garcia to ChiSox from Detroit, and Jose Iglesias to Detroit from Boston (via ChiSox).

Bollocks.
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Serbia wrote:Rumors are Peavy to Boston from ChiSox, Avisail Garcia to ChiSox from Detroit, and Jose Iglesias to Detroit from Boston (via ChiSox).

Bollocks.

Bucholz's injury is going to force us to show our hand. Losing a good looking prospect in Iglesias but we need to sure up our rotation.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:04 pm

nietzsche wrote:And, actually, he doesn't seem to be declining, at least not in this season.

I agree, he's not...which surprised me a bit after the injury he had this year. I honestly thought he would (but drafted him for my fantasy team anyway...you know...just in case).

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Night Strike wrote:Bad losing streaks suck, especially when the team looks downright UGLY against teams that actually want to show up and are motivated to beat them.

Yeah, the Cards have been having a rough go of it lately. But at least the Pirates are no slouches this year by any means (which makes me sort of happy...I've always had a "feel sorry for them Cubs" view of the Pirates).

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 am

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Bad losing streaks suck, especially when the team looks downright UGLY against teams that actually want to show up and are motivated to beat them.

Yeah, the Cards have been having a rough go of it lately. But at least the Pirates are no slouches this year by any means (which makes me sort of happy...I've always had a "feel sorry for them Cubs" view of the Pirates).

Decided last night that playing the Pirates is the only area where the Cardinals are worse off without Pujols since he completely crushed the Pirates, especially at PNC. Yes, I realize part of that is complemented with the Pirates finally putting good teams on the field, but I still think there's some legitimacy to the viewpoint.

And the losing streak sucks worse having Molina heading to the DL.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Night Strike wrote:And the losing streak sucks worse having Molina heading to the DL.

Yeah, that definitely hurts. His leadership seems to be a huge factor with the pitching staff.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,