Conquer Club

Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 am

wtf is a Mary Sue
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:21 pm

mrswdk wrote:wtf is a Mary Sue

lrn2urbandictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... Mary%20Sue
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Well judging by that definition Danaerys is a Mary Sue. She's got dragons and don't afraid of nothing.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:49 pm

mrswdk wrote:Well judging by that definition Danaerys is a Mary Sue. She's got dragons and don't afraid of nothing.

That's a double negative. So she's afraid of something.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:35 pm

waauw wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Well judging by that definition Danaerys is a Mary Sue. She's got dragons and don't afraid of nothing.

Popping out another demon baby?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby william18 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm

waauw wrote:

Don't afraid of nothing is a meme.
Sergeant 1st Class william18

Postby william18 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Army of GOD wrote:I don't see Dany as a Mary Sue. She hasn't really accomplished shit herself...she's pretty weak, I guess she is a good strategist, but she would be nothing without her name and her dragons. Her dragons are what got her her army, her dragons protected her from the masters.

She has a lot of plot armor though. She never really endures hardship or hes any negative events effect her significantly,

Almost as much as Jon Snow plot armor:

- Saved by Tyrion when the recruits wanted to kill him in the armory.
- Still lives when a giant chunk of the wall collapses when he was climbing.
- Crasters girl saves him when Karl Tanner bested him.
- The thenn throws him around instead of dealing a killing blow, letting jon win.
- olly saves him from ygritte.
- Stannis saves him, when Jon pretty much decides to assassinate Mance Rayder,
- Melisandre revives him.
- Battle of the Bastards. Arrows always miss. Cavalry saves him in time. To be fair, the close call nature of the battle made the episode much more entertaining.
Sergeant 1st Class william18

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:35 am

My thoughts on the finale, FWIW:

Why did Cersei leave Tommen by himself? She probably could have saved his life if she'd kept him with her - or even had the Mountain keep an eye on him.
Walder Frey got what was coming to him, just like Ramsay - and props to Jamie for telling Walder off like that.
Did they really have to wait until the end of the series to reveal that R+L=J? Especially since the setup for the reveal was back in (I think) episodes 3&4.
Why would Olenna Tyrell want fire and blood when fire just killed her son and her two youngest grandchildren? I know what fire and blood means, but still.
How did Varys get back to Meereen so fast?
Tyrion will be (and has been) a great Hand, but I don't know that I'd trust the Second Sons to rule Meereen - Dany's instructions to Daario better be pretty damn thorough.
I loved the look Sansa gave Baelish at the end of the "King in the North" scene - I am interpreting it as "YA DUN GOOFED!" and no one can tell me I'm wrong.
If Jon gets a Hand as King in the North, it should be Sansa.

Predictions:
No clue what Cersei does now. She's got the power she's always wanted - where does she go from here?
Now that Arya's back in Westeros, I REALLY want her and the Hound to meet up, just to see the looks on their faces when they see each other.
In a similar vein, I'm also looking forward to the encounter between Euron Greyjoy and Dany/Yara/Theon - unless he gets to Meereen without finding them and meets Daario, which could also be very interesting.

Also, is it me, or does money not seem to be a thing in Westeros?
The crown is SIX MILLION GOLD in debt at the START of the series.
That fact is brought up, I think, 3 times in 6 seasons:
- When Ned goes to his first small council meeting
- When Tyrion replaces Baelish as Master of Coin
- When Mace Tyrell goes to Braavos to negotiate with the Iron Bank - and you could argue that the main purpose of that whole situation was to enable Arya's murder of Meryn Trant.
Also, anyone remember that one bit a few seasons ago about Casterly Rock's gold mines being dry? Raise your hand if you know what came of that.
I feel like the writers (including GRRM - the books are no better) are just using money as a plot device when they have to and ignoring it otherwise.
Maybe it's just because I work in finance, but that bothers me a little.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby patches70 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:38 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:My thoughts on the finale, FWIW:

Predictions:
No clue what Cersei does now. She's got the power she's always wanted - where does she go from here?

It's pretty clear now what happens to Cersei. So far Maggie the Frog's first few predictions have come true. Now what's left is that someone younger is going to take everything away from her. Cersei now only has the Iron Throne. Dany is obviously the one now that we know that Margy is dead. Cersei always thought it was Margy going to be the younger one that comes, but now it's obvious that it's Dany. Then the "Little Brother" is going to finally "choke the life from her". That could be either Tyrion who is on his way to King's Landing or it could be Jamie. Jamie because now that Cersei has lost all her children and considering her reaction to Tommen's death, Jamie might come to realize that the Cersei that he loved is gone and all that is left if The Mad Queen and Jamie in an ironic twist will have to end yet another Mad ruler.

Sempia wrote:Now that Arya's back in Westeros, I REALLY want her and the Hound to meet up, just to see the looks on their faces when they see each other.

That would be cool, The Hound has nothing to worry about, Arya took him off her list. More on Arya below.

Sempia wrote:Also, is it me, or does money not seem to be a thing in Westeros?
- When Mace Tyrell goes to Braavos to negotiate with the Iron Bank - and you could argue that the main purpose of that whole situation was to enable Arya's murder of Meryn Trant.
Also, anyone remember that one bit a few seasons ago about Casterly Rock's gold mines being dry? Raise your hand if you know what came of that.
I feel like the writers (including GRRM - the books are no better) are just using money as a plot device when they have to and ignoring it otherwise.

sempai

If you were the masters of the Iron Bank what would you do? Maybe hire some faceless men to enact some retribution and we remember what's his names reaction to Arya saying she's leaving and going back to Westeroes. He let her go and that ain't like the faceless men is it? Seems to me that's exactly what he wanted Arya to do. Maybe Arya is going to kill some people that the Iron Bank want dead.

But I dunno, maybe that whole plot line has just gone away

sempai wrote:How did Varys get back to Meereen so fast?

The time continuity has been rough throughout the whole series. If I were to have to come up with a reason, I'd say that all the Dany scenes during the episode took place over weeks or even months time. Just like the Dorne scene had to have happened a week(s) or so after the destruction of the Sept.
It's never been very clear.
Private patches70

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm not asking what's going to happen to Cersei, I'm asking what she's going to do. Now that she sits the Iron Throne, how is she going to rule?

It's not just the Iron Bank, it's the Lannisters, and a bunch of others besides.
And that's besides the point - the point is, these things are brought up, talked about for 5 minutes, and then forgotten about for two seasons.

sempai

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:My thoughts on the finale, FWIW:

Why did Cersei leave Tommen by himself? She probably could have saved his life if she'd kept him with her - or even had the Mountain keep an eye on him.

I don't think she knew how Tommen felt about Margery

Did they really have to wait until the end of the series to reveal that R+L=J? Especially since the setup for the reveal was back in (I think) episodes 3&4.

I especially don't understand why it happened in a Bran flashback. Why does Bran care who Jon's parents are? Bran has much more pressing matters, like, you know, the white walker army
Why would Olenna Tyrell want fire and blood when fire just killed her son and her two youngest grandchildren? I know what fire and blood means, but still.

what?
How did Varys get back to Meereen so fast?

we have no concept of the passage of time. I don't think it's unreasonable considering Dorne on the south eastern tip of Westeros.

Also, is it me, or does money not seem to be a thing in Westeros?

sempai

I would complain, but China keeps loaning the US money irl so I don't think it really matters that much
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby strike wolf on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:31 pm

I don't think it was because of Margaery that Tommen offed himself. I think he realized just how fucking evil his mother really was and did not want to be a part of her mad game in a world where the gods did not protect the faithful or innocent.

I'm more interested in how Jaime will react to this turn of events. He thinks he loves Cersei but she has never truly loved him other than as a reflection of herself as her twin. Now she's done the very thing that he killed Aerys for threatening to do just on a slightly smaller scale.

Cersei is f*cked. The Tyrells were relatively untouched in military strength after the war of five kings and now they have joined up with Danys juggernaut, dragon backed force with major naval superiority and to the north she has the untouched Vale army joining up with the hard fighting northerners (who defeated the Lannister in every open field battle that wasn't a ruse to draw away Lannister armies from the real fight). Though Jon will quite possibly turn his attention North rather than south. It is the bittersweet irony of this episode that to get what she wanted Cersei had to pay a price she never intended and now that she has it she doesn't realize that she's completely screwed over.

My biggest gripe would be the time line as well. In the books it is quite clear that there is significant time lag, even between Winter fell and The Wall. Now it seems like information travels instantaneously in the show.

Cersei never truly loved Jaime. The whole reason she convinced him to join the Kingsguard was a ploy so she could inherit casterly rock. Does she care for him? Sure but only as much as she can view him as an extension of herself.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 pm

I suppose it would be more accurate to say he didn't simply do it because of Margaery. I am sure she was a significant part of it but I feel the rest holds true as well.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 am

Joffery the evil shit? Everyone had been wanting his death since season 1 (fun fact, the actor who plays him, played a kid in Batman Begins).

Myrcella, innocent that became a victim of vengeance.

Tommen, innocent, but a pushover, yet only wanted the best for people. Had a shitty mother whom ended up embodying nearly everything that is wrong with humanity. Kind of like a female Joker, in a way.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:41 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Joffery the evil shit? Everyone had been wanting his death since season 1 (fun fact, the actor who plays him, played a kid in Batman Begins).

Peter Baelish played a CIA agent in The Dark Knight Rises.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:35 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:I loved the look Sansa gave Baelish at the end of the "King in the North" scene - I am interpreting it as "YA DUN GOOFED!" and no one can tell me I'm wrong.

Maybe at first. Her look was a triumphant one, but then when she saw the look on Baelish's face, her look turned to one of worry. I think she's worried what he may try to do to John, since John is clearly a threat to him now. He told Sansa he has one vision, which he tirelessly works toward, him on the iron throne with her by his side as the queen of the north. CAn't very well do that if John is King of the North, now can he?

I'm hoping others are right and Sansa will realize the threat that littlefinger is and will take him out herself. Otherwise, he will be trouble later on.

Army of GOD wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:Did they really have to wait until the end of the series to reveal that R+L=J? Especially since the setup for the reveal was back in (I think) episodes 3&4.

I especially don't understand why it happened in a Bran flashback. Why does Bran care who Jon's parents are? Bran has much more pressing matters, like, you know, the white walker army

I think it happened in a Bran flashback because it was something important that Bran needed to know. Isn't the fact that John is actually a Targaryen huge news? Doesn't it mean that he can be a dragon rider too? And since he is technically Dany's nephew, couldn't they continue on the tradition of incest and marry each other and become the new king and queen of westeros? So if Bran is going about trying to save the world, then it's good that he knows now so that he can inform John, and Dany when she gets to westeros.

I can't wait til JOhn, Sansa, Arya and Bran are all back together. They've assembled one hell of a team with some awesome abilites. I'd like to see what they can do.

Overall, I think this was one of the best seasons so far. I think the show writers have done an awesome job of carrying on the story without having books to fall back on. It feels like we finally have a good pace going. You know, the first two seasons (i guess books too) were awesome, but then the story kind of stalled for a while it seemed. Dany was going no where, focusing on shit that didn't matter, etc. Now all the pieces are coming together to make for an epic conclusion to this awesome story. f*ck, we got a whole nother year to wait!
Major tkr4lf

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm

mrswdk wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:Joffery the evil shit? Everyone had been wanting his death since season 1 (fun fact, the actor who plays him, played a kid in Batman Begins).

Peter Baelish played a CIA agent in The Dark Knight Rises.

for me he'll be forever the mayor of baltimore in the wire. Although maybe he wasn't exactly the mayor... a good politician doing what it takes to reach his goal, so not too far from baelish.

OK here is my thought... Since Cersei was so worried about the prophecy that she's seen happening... don't you guys think she said to herself "f*ck tommen. He's dead meat anyways"... I mean he became a septon zealot and was clearly in love with maergery (of course cersei knew that). Doing what she did she really had to be a fool to think he'd still have reasons to live given how fragile he is.

I'm really disapointed about Maergery.... I really liked that character. Do we agree that grandma tyrell is the last one left?? that sucks balls.

Jon proves that he is a morron just like all the starks are. In fact Tommen was such a morron that he deserved to be called a Stark. Take Ned, Robb or Jon... all fucking morrons with no empathy, never understanding what people around them are after; never understanding who are potential enemies, and they all end up betrayed because of their stupidity and lack of anticipation. They have no fucking game.
At least Sansa is starting to develop some kind of game... even if she is not smart enough. f*ck it... how many of their men killed because she didn't say anything about the vale backup??
Bran is just another pussy. Arya probably is the only Stark with game; I think she's learned a lot and is probably the smartest.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm

tkr4lf wrote:
sempaispellcheck wrote:I loved the look Sansa gave Baelish at the end of the "King in the North" scene - I am interpreting it as "YA DUN GOOFED!" and no one can tell me I'm wrong.

Maybe at first. Her look was a triumphant one, but then when she saw the look on Baelish's face, her look turned to one of worry. I think she's worried what he may try to do to John, since John is clearly a threat to him now. He told Sansa he has one vision, which he tirelessly works toward, him on the iron throne with her by his side as the queen of the north. CAn't very well do that if John is King of the North, now can he?

I'm hoping others are right and Sansa will realize the threat that littlefinger is and will take him out herself. Otherwise, he will be trouble later on.

f*ck you TK elf.
She was like "oh nooo maybe that's not what I want... Jon is indeed a fucking bastard from the south, and I saved winterfell with that fine gentleman who will help me raise Ramsey's son in king's landing while we torture some lannisters"
Major betiko

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 pm

betiko wrote:OK here is my thought... Since Cersei was so worried about the prophecy that she's seen happening... don't you guys think she said to herself "f*ck tommen. He's dead meat anyways"... I mean he became a septon zealot and was clearly in love with maergery (of course cersei knew that). Doing what she did she really had to be a fool to think he'd still have reasons to live given how fragile he is.
I get it - it's just that she's been so worried for and about all her children through the whole series, I feel like she should have at least made some sort of effort to save him.

betiko wrote:Do we agree that grandma tyrell is the last one left??
She still has at least one living grandson, possibly two. Willas, the oldest, is a cripple - never came to King's Landing and is currently lord of Highgarden. The next oldest, Garlan the Gallant, may or may not have been at the sept of Baelor - I'm not sure.

sempai

Postby strike wolf on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm

In the show, Willis and her other grandson were merged into Loras.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Garlan maybe, but Willas was definitely separate - I remember Olenna proposing to marry Sansa to him at one point, shortly before Joffrey's death.

sempai

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:35 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:Garlan maybe, but Willas was definitely separate - I remember Olenna proposing to marry Sansa to him at one point, shortly before Joffrey's death.

sempai

ok it does ring a bell. It would be sad for the Tyrells to be all gone, they're a decent family.
Major betiko

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Cersei and Jaime have to get busy or else the Lannisters will disappear
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm

betiko wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

f*ck you TK elf.
She was like "oh nooo maybe that's not what I want... Jon is indeed a fucking bastard from the south, and I saved winterfell with that fine gentleman who will help me raise Ramsey's son in king's landing while we torture some lannisters"

lolwut?

Why would she turn her back on her family for Baelish? I mean, look, I personally like Littlefinger. I think he's one of the smartest and well-versed politicians/schemers in the series, but I root for the Starks over him any day. The Starks are some of the few decent people in all of Westeros, it seems. What you call stupid and not being able to see enemies, I call being duty-bound and honorable, perhaps a bit naive even. Just because they're not good at intrigue doesn't mean they're stupid assholes. They simply have other abilities and qualities. Nobody can argue that Robb wasn't an awesome general. Were it not for the Lannister's intrigue, he probably would have beaten them.

But for real, I can't buy your theory. I don't think Sansa will turn her back on what's left of her family (especially considering all her and her family have been through). I think she'll use her impressive abilities dear Littlefinger passed on to her to assist John and Bran and Arya in uniting the North, taking revenge on those that have wronged their family, and finally helping John and Dany (once they get married, anyway) to take over all of Westeros. Which shouldn't be that hard anyway now, considering she's gonna have Dorne, Highgarden and at least some the Iron Islanders on her side as soon as she lands, and once her and John meet up and all is revealed, they'll probably be allies too. I guess the soldiers of the Vale would stick with the armies of the north, but who knows what Littlefinger would do then. So really it'll be most of Westeros vs. the Lannisters, the Riverlands , the Crown Lands and whatever bit of the Iron Islands Euron controls now. Doesn't seem too much of a challenge, to be honest.
Major tkr4lf

Postby patches70 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:32 pm

tkr4lf wrote: I guess the soldiers of the Vale would stick with the armies of the north, but who knows what Littlefinger would do then.

Little finger will side with whomever he thinks is going to win, as a matter of survival and then plot behind their backs.

tkr4lf wrote:So really it'll be most of Westeros vs. the Lannisters, the Riverlands , the Crown Lands and whatever bit of the Iron Islands Euron controls now. Doesn't seem too much of a challenge, to be honest.

And The Others. You seem to be forgetting about them. Dany can sweep right over Cersei and what's left of the Crown, but The Others are another story all together. The Night King is a magical creature as are the dragons. In the end I think Westeroes will be in ruins, all the dragons will be dead, The Others defeated and whomever emerges as Azora High (or whatever it's called) will be dead, sacrificed to destroy The Others.

The Azora fellow could be Jon, Dany or even Jamie. Azora is supposed to stab his sword into someone he loves to create Lightbringer. Jamie stabbing Cersei to death would work. Also, Jon stabbing Sansa to death would work as well. Or Dany stabbing Jon to death (but honestly, Dany doesn't seem to really love anyone, so who knows?), or maybe Jon stabbing Dany to death. Either way, Dany might not live long after taking Westeroes. Cersei is certain to die eventually and it ain't looking good for Jon to live through it all either. I don't see Jamie living much longer than Cersei either. Maybe a murder suicide, who the hell knows.

It will be interesting I guess.

And Littlefinger from the show is just a shadow of his awesome self from the books. The show has screwed Littlefinger up. All he does is make mistake after mistake and act impulsively on the show. He never does that kind of thing in the books. Ever.
Private patches70

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,