Conquer Club

We need more regulation!!!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

We need more regulation!!!

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am

But does it matter?

http://healthblog.ncpa.org/regulation/? ... more-29815

Nope (aside the deleterious effects of public financing the regulation).

Aside from the enormous costs in terms of time and money, what difference does all this [labor laws and regulation] make? Surprisingly little.

Take the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The Oā€™Neillā€™s find that the black/white wage gap was narrowing at about the same rate in the two decades leading up to the passage of the act as it did in the years that followed. Only in the South is there evidence that the legislation mattered. Outside the South, federal legislation basically followed social change rather than lead it. The wages of blacks rose relative to those of whites over time for two primary reasons: (1) more schooling and better schooling and (2) the migration of blacks out of the South.

As for the wages of men and women, the Oā€™Neillā€™s find no evidence that antidiscrimination policies have made a difference, including the actions of the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC) and the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP).

Most health and safety legislation also obeys Goodmanā€™s Law. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulates workplace safety. Yet in the years leading up to OSHA, workplace fatalities were falling at the same rate as they fell in the period after its passage. Non-fatal injuries show no impact of OSHA as well.

How does it feel?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: We need more regulation!!!

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am

I need to grab me some popcorn for this one.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 am

Oh, boy. Did you know that the Civil Rights Act, all that anti-discrimination nonsense, and OSHA are completely useless?

"GEE, I DIDN"T KNOW THAT, BUT IT OFFENDS MY IDEAL VISION OF GOVERNMENT. I SHALL IGNORE THIS AND CONTINUE SUPPORTING SUCH USELESS REGULATION."
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby TeeGee on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:50 am

More regulation?

You really want me to edit ALL your posts and lock all your threads :P

By the way, MADAGAN IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 am

TeeGee wrote:More regulation?

You really want me to edit ALL your posts and lock all your threads :P

By the way, MADAGAN IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby john9blue on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:55 am

lol oh bbs you're so crazy
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 am

The Oā€™Neillā€™s findings are consistent with economic theory

That was the point where I called it.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:04 am

Symmetry wrote:

That's okay. There's plenty of other people who aren't as willfully ignorant as you! I look forward to Hope and Change, and thanks for trying, Sym!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

That's okay. There's plenty of other people who aren't as willfully ignorant as you! I look forward to Hope and Change, and thanks for trying, Sym!

Not an Obama fan?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Oh, boy. Did you know that the Civil Rights Act, all that anti-discrimination nonsense, and OSHA are completely useless?

"GEE, I DIDN"T KNOW THAT, BUT IT OFFENDS MY IDEAL VISION OF GOVERNMENT. I SHALL IGNORE THIS AND CONTINUE SUPPORTING SUCH USELESS REGULATION."

Actually, it did not truly say they were useless, it said they worked fine in the south.

Also, I would want to see the data/analysis upon which this article is based. Newspaper articles, opinion pieces are notorious for getting things wrong.

BUT... I am among the first to say that we need to re-evaluate all laws periodically, but particularly anything thats "social engineering". I would hope that 40 years would be enough to make affirmative action and civil rights more or less irrelevant. Still, the fact that such laws are no longer needed doesn't really mean they are unneeded. That is, I think it is time to do away with most if not all affirmative action (some small segments might remain), BUT the basic idea that you cannot discriminate should remain law of the land. Just because murder rates go down doesn't mean we can do without those laws. Sometimes they are there just for the truly abusive idiots, not general society.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Oh, boy. Did you know that the Civil Rights Act, all that anti-discrimination nonsense, and OSHA are completely useless?

Actually, it did not truly say they were useless, it said they worked fine in the south.

Can you quote the article on that?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Nobunaga on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Liberalism cannot exist without regulation.

Do we need more liberals?
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby ooge on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 am

regulation..glass /spegal why was it put into law? when was it repealed? what were the consequences of the repealing of this regulation? Arline industry when was it deregulated? by whom? what have been the consequences of this deregulation?State of California and energy deregulation,what were the consequences of the deregulation.Trucking industry? one can go on and on about how government has deregulated over regulated the past forty years.
Captain ooge

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 am

Gov't is too big, to expsensive, with compounding interest, period.

If you want to look for cuts, ignore the people who try to mock other with the roads and bridges bit. Challenge them to start at mesquito control, humvees for federal parks, and publicly funded art projects. And who can leave out light rail?
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 am

ooge wrote:regulation..glass /spegal why was it put into law? when was it repealed? what were the consequences of the repealing of this regulation? Arline industry when was it deregulated? by whom? what have been the consequences of this deregulation?State of California and energy deregulation,what were the consequences of the deregulation.Trucking industry? one can go on and on about how government has deregulated over regulated the past forty years.

Huh? What? Who? When? Where? Why? How?

(The underlined were very beneficial examples of deregulation/privatization).
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am

Phatscotty wrote:Gov't is too big, to expsensive, with compounding interest, period.

If you want to look for cuts, ignore the people who try to mock other with the roads and bridges bit. Challenge them to start at mesquito control, humvees for federal parks, and publicly funded art projects. And who can leave out light rail?

And get them out of our bedrooms.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Gov't is too big, to expsensive, with compounding interest, period.

Why be consistent?

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why be consistent?

why troll?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why be consistent?

why troll?

Good question. Why do you troll?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:

the government is in your bedroom??? Can't wait to hear what you're talking about here.

Or are you just making things up again.
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 am

Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why be consistent?

why troll?

You're just like Player, who has driven me crazy with her inconsistencies lately.

On the one hand, you're all for freedom and getting the government out of something when it's something you don't want the government to be in. And to drive home your argument, you use tenets from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence.

On the other hand, when it's something like abortion or gay marriage, you're all about government intervention and ignore any founding documents or any other logical link between government intervention and freedom.

You argue out of both sides of your mouth and that's not only stupid, it's dishonest. If you're going to argue about less government regulation of business while arguing against gay marriage and abortion, as far as I'm concerned you're prohibited from invoking the Constitution, the Federalist Papers, the Declaration of Independence, or any other historical or modern interpretations thereof. Hypocrisy doesn't work here. Sorry little buddy.

Postby ooge on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why be consistent?

why troll?

You're just like Player, who has driven me crazy with her inconsistencies lately.

On the one hand, you're all for freedom and getting the government out of something when it's something you don't want the government to be in. And to drive home your argument, you use tenets from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence.

On the other hand, when it's something like abortion or gay marriage, you're all about government intervention and ignore any founding documents or any other logical link between government intervention and freedom.

You argue out of both sides of your mouth and that's not only stupid, it's dishonest. If you're going to argue about less government regulation of business while arguing against gay marriage and abortion, as far as I'm concerned you're prohibited from invoking the Constitution, the Federalist Papers, the Declaration of Independence, or any other historical or modern interpretations thereof. Hypocrisy doesn't work here. Sorry little buddy.

=D> =D> =D> =D> beautifully stated and accurate,I could not agree more
Captain ooge

Postby ooge on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
ooge wrote:regulation..glass /spegal why was it put into law? when was it repealed? what were the consequences of the repealing of this regulation? Arline industry when was it deregulated? by whom? what have been the consequences of this deregulation?State of California and energy deregulation,what were the consequences of the deregulation.Trucking industry? one can go on and on about how government has deregulated over regulated the past forty years.

care to elaborate on why deregulation was beneficial to the underlined?
Captain ooge

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

ooge wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

care to elaborate on why deregulation was beneficial to the underlined?

How much are you willing to read?

And, as a thought experiment, what happens when the Soviet Union nationalizes an industry?
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 am

Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why be consistent?

why troll?

Cogito ergo troglodytarum?

Also, is this the motto of the Troll Forest Brigade?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,