Conquer Club

Congratulations to the people of Burkina Faso

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Congratulations to the people of Burkina Faso

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 am

We haven't had one of these topics for a while. We were over due, so the world delivered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29851445

BBC wrote:Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore has announced his resignation, following violent protests at his attempt to extend his 27-year rule.

Mr Compaore issued a statement saying the presidency was now vacant and urging elections within 90 days.

Military chief Gen Honore Traore said he had taken over as head of state "in line with constitutional measures".

In a statement, he said: "In line with constitutional measures, and given the power vacuum... I will assume as of today my responsibilities as head of state."

He added: "I undertake a solemn engagement to proceed without delay with consultations with all parties in the country so as to start the process of returning to the constitutional order as soon as possible."

Late on Thursday, he had announced the creation of the transitional government, declared the dissolution of parliament and imposed a night curfew.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/01/world ... paore.html

NY Times wrote:UAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso — After violent protests in which demonstrators set fire to Parliament and surged through the streets in a wave of dissent, Blaise Compaoré, the president of Burkina Faso, said Friday that he had stepped down after 27 years in office, according to news reports from the West African nation.

Reuters reported that a heavily armed convoy carrying the president was seen leaving the capital and heading south toward Po, near the border with Ghana, even as his resignation announcement was being read out on television. It was not clear who would replace him.

The announcement came on the fourth day of turmoil in Ouagadougou, the capital, which culminated in a closed-door gathering of military commanders...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Congratulations to the people of Burkina Faso

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm

BBC wrote:
Military chief Gen Honore Traore said... said: "In line with constitutional measures, and given the power vacuum... I will assume as of today my responsibilities as head of state."

Late on Thursday, he had announced the creation of the transitional government, declared the dissolution of parliament and imposed a night curfew.

lolwut.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
BBC wrote:
Military chief Gen Honore Traore said... said: "In line with constitutional measures, and given the power vacuum... I will assume as of today my responsibilities as head of state."

lolwut.

It's pretty funny. They re-elected him for 33 years, but they went berserk at the idea that he wanted 5 more..:)

Well, at least something good came out of the fiasco in Libya.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:17 pm

The United States still hasn't decided whether this is a coup or not.

The plans for a transitional government seem reasonable*; someone in Burkina Faso wants the country to succeed.

*They are checking all the boxes that will enable it to seem like a legitimate transition in power. If the transition is declared a coup, Burkina Faso loses aid dollars, in particular military aid dollars. The military doesn't seem bent on getting rid of its main employer. Those metaphorical checkboxes are something along the lines of:
  • Make sure those in power during the transitional government are not eligible to run in the election
  • Make sure the transitional government has reasonable representation from the ousted ruler's party (and/or group of allied parties)
  • Make sure there is a clear list of rules for the transitional government to follow
  • Make sure the transitional government has representation from the non-Political classes
  • Make sure nobody in the transitional government has any education in democratic systems, constitution writing, or effective election management. If anybody knew what they were doing, progress might be made. Instead, fill the ranks with rapist Brigadier Generals, patsies from the military towns and empty seats, filled by those invited from the previous government (who know they will be tormented if they actually show up)

All in all, I predict that this will be declared:
show
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Of course, I have no opinion until Fox News tells me what my opinion is.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:09 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:The United States still hasn't decided whether this is a coup or not.

The plans for a transitional government seem reasonable*; someone in Burkina Faso wants the country to succeed.

*They are checking all the boxes that will enable it to seem like a legitimate transition in power. If the transition is declared a coup, Burkina Faso loses aid dollars, in particular military aid dollars. The military doesn't seem bent on getting rid of its main employer. Those metaphorical checkboxes are something along the lines of:
  • Make sure those in power during the transitional government are not eligible to run in the election
  • Make sure the transitional government has reasonable representation from the ousted ruler's party (and/or group of allied parties)
  • Make sure there is a clear list of rules for the transitional government to follow
  • Make sure the transitional government has representation from the non-Political classes
  • Make sure nobody in the transitional government has any education in democratic systems, constitution writing, or effective election management. If anybody knew what they were doing, progress might be made. Instead, fill the ranks with rapist Brigadier Generals, patsies from the military towns and empty seats, filled by those invited from the previous government (who know they will be tormented if they actually show up)

All in all, I predict that this will be declared:
show

Ah, there it is. Good! Let me patch into the IMF and WB, so the new government can be assured of its current revenue stream. Maybe if the General President says some nice words about working with the UN and supporting previous donor nations, then we'll forgive some debt too. Can't go wrong with that one, and we've always got a bunch of measurements of meaningless outputs about how much progress the aid has done.

Chin up, DY. This is win-win.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:55 pm

How many non-profits in the capital hired ambidextrous employees is hardly meaningless output!
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:08 am

DoomYoshi wrote:How many non-profits in the capital hired ambidextrous employees is hardly meaningless output!

You got that right! Slam it hard, DY! USAID just brought in 200 tons of rice! BAM! PROGRESS. PERIOD. DEVELOPMENT HERE WE COME!!!
Major BigBallinStalin

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,