Conquer Club

Why Do You Guys Hate Communism So Much?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Do You Guys Hate Communism So Much?

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Corruption isn't one to look at. Corruption is a societal force, not an economic one. I know in the former USSR, something like 60% of people see no moral qualms about bribes, just accepting it as a daily part of life. In India and China, it is probably a higher stat. In the US and Canada, it is pretty rare, except for things that don't matter (bribing the bartender at a busy bar to make sure you don't have to ever wait).

In the US and Canada you have to tip more than the actual service charge for pretty much every service in existence (in some cases every time, in some cases just for holidays). You tip bartenders, delivery guys, taxi drivers, waiters, bus boys, mailmen, gardeners, cleaners, baristas, valets etc., in plenty of cases seemingly with the implicit threat that you will be treated less favorably should you decline to tip. Personally, I find that just as irritating as having to pay a teacher in order to make sure your child doesn't get treated worse than the other kids.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:52 pm

I've never tipped a mail carrier. I don't think I know anyone that has.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:11 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've never tipped a mail carrier. I don't think I know anyone that has.

--Andy

I do.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've never tipped a mail carrier. I don't think I know anyone that has.

--Andy

I do also, as well as the kids that bring the flyers, but only once a year (at Christmas) and a rather negligible amount.

In either case, we aren't tipping elected, or non-elected officials for access to stuff that the government is supposed to provide. Bribing the security guard at the passport office to let you bring a coffee in doesn't work.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:27 am

DoomYoshi wrote:In either case, we aren't tipping elected, or non-elected officials for access to stuff that the government is supposed to provide.

It's not a question of withholding things, it's a question of providing extra service or favors to those who pay more. Extra-judicial payments in China are usually used to speed up processes or garner favorable treatment, not to gain basic access to things that you are legally entitled to in the first place.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,