Conquer Club

Hey guys! Hamilton Rules!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Hey guys! Hamilton Rules!

Postby Ltrain on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 pm

I'm late to the party. i wasnt convinced until track 11. i borrowed it from the drama dept where i teach occasionally. holy f*ck i only listened to act 1 so far in my car and already i want to like find a hamilton message board and start posting to it. i figured this was a safer approach ya'll just trash me and I'll feel better about it
Major Ltrain

Re: Hey guys! Hamilton Rules!

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 am

I've heard some good things. My brother is really into it, but just from the soundtrack. Are you planning on seeing it?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 am

yeah, it is amazing. my uncle saw it off broadway and on broadway with the original cast for a total of 20 plus times. he was raving about it and i had been following it. want to read the book that led to it being written. just sad i won't get to see the original cast. i hope they recorded/shot it, something to be released in a theatrical or home release version.

since you are new to the party, lin was invited to perform a number from his prior award winning show, "in the heights"... when he met obama, he told him he was going to do something from a "new show" he was working on... obama asked him what it was about... he responded, "a hip hop show about Alexander Hamilton." obama told him laughingly, "good luck." and then saw this:

read this about the hamilton mixtape: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/ ... on-mixtape

anyway, keep digging into the show. it is amazing how different people use different musical styles to place them within the context of the story and where they were, compared to hamilton and the others. for instance, thomas jefferson has just returned from paris and sings in a JAZZ STYLE, as he has not heard these new hip hop rumblings of hamilton...

ok, i'm about to geek out. enjoy!!-Jn
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Do you know if it's entirely a musical, or if it's part-scripted? If it has spoken parts, I'd rather wait to see the whole thing. From what I can tell, it's not hitting the UK 'till November, though.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ltrain on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Thats awesome yea i read about that obama thing somewhere. They actually did video tape it towards the end of lin's run I found some article about it. They can't really put it out since that breaks broadway rules but they wanted it for posterity. which means we will eventually see it. wow, 20 times, and the early off broadway run that is really really cool.

I have a kid coming in 2.5 months so the chance of me going to ny anytime soon is pretty much zero, but when it eventually goes on tour, yes of course! I actually have only listened to act 1 one and a half times, but I'm a musician who helps direct a musical at a local high school every year, so when I got to that track 11 and through to the end of act one, I literally was already getting emotional just listening to it. I tend to get emotional when I am witnessing greatness whether it's a musical, some "important" sporting event with a story, or hell I teared up when I saw the first woman finish a finals American Ninja Warrior course a couple years back!!
Major Ltrain

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Have any of you seen Assassins? It's only a bit related, as it's kind of an offbeat musical about American history. The music is more like a traditional musical, but that's kind of the point given that it's about famous assassins.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:01 am

Ltrain wrote:I'm late to the party.

watch this "making of", it is fascinating... you can watch it on PBS online... here is the trailer

it goes really in depth... really cool...-Jn
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 am

I will eventually see it, but don't feel qualified to comment at this point.

I will say that Moana is the best Disney animated movie I have ever seen and that the soundtrack is likely most of the reason I love it so much. Miranda is incredible. If you have not seen the movie (e.g. if it would be weird for a grown adult to watch an animated movie by his or herself), I highly recommend getting the soundtrack. Public service warning though, you will have these songs in your head and they are difficult to get rid of.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,