Conquer Club

UK rapidly expands high speed rail network

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: UK rapidly expands high speed rail network

Postby tzor on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm

mrswdk wrote:Why don't you tell us all what you think would happen?

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet tzor

Postby NomadPatriot on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:19 pm

mrswdk wrote:We're still waiting to hear what you think the Chinese government is going 'to do' to Hong Kong families that have more than one child. Bury them under a high speed railway line?

china has a lovely history of dealing with population .. uh. 'problems"..

Mao's Great Leap Forward 'killed 45 million in four years'

Mao Zedong, founder of the People's Republic of China, qualifies as the greatest mass murderer in world history, an expert who had unprecedented access to official Communist Party archives said yesterday.

Speaking at The Independent Woodstock Literary Festival, Frank Dikƶtter, a Hong Kong-based historian, said he found that during the time that Mao was enforcing the Great Leap Forward in 1958, in an effort to catch up with the economy of the Western world, he was responsible for overseeing "one of the worst catastrophes the world has ever known".

Mr Dikƶtter, who has been studying Chinese rural history from 1958 to 1962, when the nation was facing a famine, compared the systematic torture, brutality, starvation and killing of Chinese peasants to the Second World War in its magnitude. At least 45 million people were worked, starved or beaten to death in China over these four years; the worldwide death toll of the Second World War was 55 million.

[url]
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 81630.html[/url]
Corporal 1st Class NomadPatriot

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Oh look, it's yet another OT poster trying to have the same boring conversation about the GLF.

FYI the One Child Policy doesn't exist any more. But when it did, the punishment for having more than one children was that the government would drive tanks to your neighbourhood and wipe out not just you and your entire family, but also your next door neighbours and the nearest street food vendors they could find. They would deliberately leave one member of the offending family alive, so that the community could pursue them full of rage and revenge at how that family had brought such destruction down on their community.

Then a patriotic marching band would turn up to sing songs about the Communist Party while the enraged mob beat the family member to death. All broadcast on live TV, with all channels taken over to stream the footage.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby NomadPatriot on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

someone doesn't like the truth being publicly posted about China.. :mrgreen:

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Someone who is bored of correcting new idiots about the same old misreadings of history.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby NomadPatriot on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm

mrswdk wrote:Someone who is bored of correcting new idiots about the same old misreadings of history.

"misreadings of history"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

please enlighten us Ma'aM. .

Re: UK rapidly expands high speed rail

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:16 am

California is making some progress. Some are hoping for limited service starting next year.

There is a rumor that they could be operating in 2026. Not sure how far you will be able to go then.

Meanwhile in Montana you can ride low speed rail right now.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:28 am

Isn't California bigger than England? :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 am

Quite a bit. One of the factors in their high speed rail system not operating quite yet.

Though they will likely be running before that one the original post was about, in jolly old England.

I am not comparing different places. I just like trains. Really fast trains are even better.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:48 pm

KoolBak wrote:Isn't California bigger than England? :lol:

yes CA is 1.7 time bigger than england, the CA economy is also bigger than Englands (though just a hair smaller than the UK as a whole)
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:03 pm

2dimes wrote:

Who the f*ck wants to take high-speed rail to Fresno? I have never met someone in a hurry to get to Fresno.

Seems like a bad idea.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:53 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
2dimes wrote:

Who the f*ck wants to take high-speed rail to Fresno? I have never met someone in a hurry to get to Fresno.

Seems like a bad idea.

If you want to see fluffy perform at the Save Mart Center how else are you gonna get there?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Also... don't want to jinx it but thank god Nomad disappeared with Covid
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:04 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
2dimes wrote:

Seems like a bad idea.

If you want to see fluffy perform at the Save Mart Center how else are you gonna get there?

Probably hitch a ride on your G700. Forty-five minutes from Burbank to Fresno Yosemite and then it's three hours enjoying Motorcycles on Ice with the classiest crowd of meth addicts, single mothers, and Proud Boys in the San Joaquin Valley.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:17 pm

saxitoxin wrote:meth addicts, single mothers, and Proud Boys

Kinda reads like you are describing what republican heaven on earth looks like ;)
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby KoolBak on Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:47 am

No no no.....that would be loud trucks, guns and free beer :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Oh, it was sarcasm. Mocking the UK. My bad...

Postby 2dimes on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 am

I am just excited that the free world is finally getting some bullet trains outside of Nippon, Spain and France. All of which like the UK are a bit far for a guy my age to go investigate on a short, i.e. five day trip. Though God willing I might get there on a longer holiday.

Duke I will trust your decision making ability as to whether or not you should split this off into a new topic to celebrate the United States of America making progress implememting high speed rail.

Or

Just keep all the train talk to a single topic possibly renaming it.

"Bullet trains!"?
Last edited by 2dimes on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 2dimes

Bright Line baby!

Postby 2dimes on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:37 am

While academically not fast enough to qualify at a mere 125 miles per hour. I am certainly excited about the now functioning Bright Line system connecting Orlando with Miami.

I am also very eagerly anticipating both the California High Speed Rail, which is still steadily making progress, and the proposed Bright Line West.

Even though Bright Line West has not even broken ground many, including the smarmy guy narrating this video,
show
believe they might be able to finish before California High Speed Rail.

I can't open or view it from this device but according to The headline of an MSM article, there is video of a train ripping on a portion of the California High
Speed Rail line.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby bigtoughralf on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am

The UK doesn't particularly need bullet trains tbf, it's not a very big country. The new one going in (or at least, the bits of it that haven't been cancelled) is basically going to reduce the London-Birmingham journey time by half an hour. The only really long (5-6+ hours) rail journeys are already possible by plane, for way less money than even a slow, regular train costs, so a bullet train wouldn't really help much.

So it's triple win for the UK government. Over budget, behind schedule, and once finished it'll be basically useless anyway.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby 2dimes on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:41 am

You don't need to travel.

If you do, you're not going to be able to beat the speed of an airplane with a train.

Much like high speed rail in North America, there are rumors about the development of new supersonic passenger aircraft.

The compressibility limit of the atmosphere, creates problems for land based objects, that currently prevent them from breaking the sound barrier, unless you have an air gap between the vehicle and the surface.

So, currently without operating it in a vacuum, a train cannot go faster than the speed of sound.

As for the cost difference, a tariff on domestic air travel would fix that. Most likely a carbon tax.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby bigtoughralf on Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:11 am

Are you saying leave trains expensive, make planes equally expensive, and tell everyone they're better off staying at home?

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby 2dimes on Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:51 am

No.

I am saying, "It is expensive to build things." Plus in the UK and the US, in order to build a railway, especially a straight and level one. Two features needed to go faster. Procuring the land will be way more expensive than in China.

Specifically in response to you saying "The UK doesn't particularly need bullet trains TBF." I wrote, "You don't need to travel." In other words both, travelling and bullet trains are luxuries.

Before that I wrote, "They are building a system for high speed trains in California. It's called California High Speed Rail." Also "A company called Bright Line, has recently completed a fairly fast train that travels between Miami and Orlando. They are probably going to build a high speed train between LasVegas and Rancho Cucamonga."

Reasons I am excited about that.
  • I like trains.
  • The faster the better.
  • I would like to ride on high speed trains in California, France, China and Nippon.

Reasonable fares would be nice. I'm not as cynical about the high costs. Would I like them to build more high speed train systems for less cost? Of course.

Other possibly even less realistic things I would like even more.
$11 tickets. Or. An unlimited rail pass for me and my family.
Super high speed rail from my city to various locations.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby bigtoughralf on Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:54 am

Travelling is a luxury if you have no family and no job, maybe.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Re:

Postby mookiemcgee on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:09 pm

2dimes wrote:No.

I am saying, "It is expensive to build things." Plus in the UK and the US, in order to build a railway, especially a straight and level one. Two features needed to go faster. Procuring the land will be way more expensive than in China.

Specifically in response to you saying "The UK doesn't particularly need bullet trains TBF." I wrote, "You don't need to travel." In other words both, travelling and bullet trains are luxuries.

Before that I wrote, "They are building a system for high speed trains in California. It's called California High Speed Rail." Also "A company called Bright Line, has recently completed a fairly fast train that travels between Miami and Orlando. They are probably going to build a high speed train between LasVegas and Rancho Cucamonga."

Reasons I am excited about that.
  • I like trains.
  • The faster the better.
  • I would like to ride on high speed trains in California, France, China and Nippon.

Reasonable fares would be nice. I'm not as cynical about the high costs. Would I like them to build more high speed train systems for less cost? Of course.

Other possibly even less realistic things I would like even more.
$11 tickets. Or. An unlimited rail pass for me and my family.
Super high speed rail from my city to various locations.

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:32 am

bigtoughralf wrote:Travelling is a luxury if you have no family and no job, maybe.

I think I know why you think that. The low cost Euro carriers like Ryan Air, have cut prices and service to the point, that riding in their planes almost seems like a chore.
Corporal 2dimes

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,