Conquer Club

Manual (standard) or Automatic Transmission?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Overall, which is better?

Total votes : 0

Manual (standard) or Automatic Transmission?

Postby misterman10 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Just wondering which you think is overall better, driving a standard or automatic car. In everyone's opinions, which one is more fun? Which gets better gas mileage? Which do you have? Which do you prefer?

The list goes on, so discuss.

Automatic:

Manual:
Last edited by misterman10 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby hecter on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Automatic is for pussies who can't drive.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby static_ice on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:37 pm

I think america might be the only country that uses mostly automatic, and I can't say which is easier but I know standard has better gas mileage
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby ignotus on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:51 pm

@ static_ice: QFT!

@ hecter: QFT! :twisted:
Lieutenant ignotus

Postby Dancing Mustard on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:08 pm

Manual all the way. Anybody who prefers automatic is just a malcoordinated imbecile who needs to learn to drive.
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:15 pm

My mom was pissed off when she found out the car she was going to get only came in auto.

I plan to learn to drive only on standard.

But right now I bike everywhere.
Cook unriggable

Postby Titanic on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 am

I prefer manual because thats all I've ever used. People who use automatic sometimes find it easier...
Major Titanic

Postby autoload on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:55 am

Dancing Mustard wrote:Manual all the way. Anybody who prefers automatic is just a malcoordinated imbecile who needs to learn to drive.

This coming from a 12 year old that iz a poop.

Anyways, I have one of each and I dare say that I prefer driving the manual. The automatic does have it's uses such as rush hour traffic and so forth. Also automatic is preferred if you have a truck and tow heavy loads.
Major autoload

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 am

If when towing heavy loads you enjoy the sensation of causing uneccesary wear to your gearbox, the warm fuzzy feeling you get from being grossly fuel-inefficient, and the joy of overheating your engine... then yes it's preferable to be using an automatic for towing. On the other hand, people who can actually drive use manuals for towing, but you feel free to suit yourself... we just want to see you happy. And after all, we all know that everybody who owns a car is a good driver; don't we?

I'm so glad that my pre-school has these Dorling Kindersly 'How Cars Work' books laying about, don't know how I'd learn anything without their handy-dandy pull-out cross-sections.

Now you run along and bathe in your ignorance of simple motoring mechanics Autoload, my 12 year old brain has a finger-painting class to attend.

Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby heavycola on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 am

here is manuel transmission

EDIT: for the record the OP suddenly learned how to spell
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby autoload on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 am

Dancing Mustard wrote:If when towing heavy loads you enjoy the sensation of causing uneccesary wear to your gearbox, the warm fuzzy feeling you get from being grossly fuel-inefficient, and the joy of overheating your engine... then yes it's preferable to be using an automatic for towing. On the other hand, people who can actually drive use manuals for towing, but you feel free to suit yourself... we just want to see you happy. And after all, we all know that everybody who owns a car is a good driver; don't we?

I'm so glad that my pre-school has these Dorling Kindersly 'How Cars Work' books laying about, don't know how I'd learn anything without their handy-dandy pull-out cross-sections.

Now you run along and bathe in your ignorance of simple motoring mechanics Autoload, my 12 year old brain has a finger-painting class to attend.

Your information is poor on so many levels.

Grossly fuel inefficient? Son, when pulling a trailer, your fuel efficiency is naught anyways. Besides, most differences amount to only 1 or 2 MPG nowadays with today's 5 and 6 speed automatics. I would like to see you try to even back up a trailer. Of course I would expect you to be a pro at it because of all the wonderful reading you did about it.

Causing unnecessary wear to your gearbox? Take a look at some owner's manuals for newer vehicles. I guarantee that almost all of them will give a higher tow rating for the automatic than the stick for the same size engine. What do you think the reason for that is? Pulling heavy loads require more slip in your transmission than lighter loads. A torque converter in your automatic transmission can handle reasonable amounts of slip where as the same amount of slip causes a measurable amount of wear on the clutch of a manual transmission. Excessive shifting of an automatic is what causes overheating. Keeping the transmission in third gear reduces the frequent locking and unlocking of the Torque Converter thus reducing heat build up.

Now you run along and bathe in your ignorance of simple motoring mechanics Autoload. Well, I may not be able to swap out an engine or transmission by myself, but I can at least change alternators, do my brakes, tune ups, batteries, lights, etc. So I don't believe I am totally ignorant of "motoring mechanics" as you like to put it.

You better get some books newer than the year you were born my boy.

Research and come back to me when you are educated.
Last edited by autoload on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major autoload

Postby The Weird One on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 am

heavycola wrote:here is manuel transmission

EDIT: for the record the OP suddenly learned how to spell

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

faulty towers. . . great show!
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby wicked on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 am

I know how heated "guys and cars" discussions can get. Just a reminder to keep the flames out of it.... ahem DM and Auto.

p.s... I love the pictures misterman! :lol:
Last edited by wicked on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major wicked

Postby The Weird One on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:31 am

:roll:
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby autoload on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 am

wicked wrote:I know how heated "guys and cars" discussions can get. Just a reminder to keep the flames out of it.... ahem DM and Auto.

He started it.
Major autoload

Postby unriggable on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am

Hey wicked!
Cook unriggable

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:06 pm

autoload wrote:
wicked wrote:I know how heated "guys and cars" discussions can get. Just a reminder to keep the flames out of it.... ahem DM and Auto.

He started it.
No I didn't. You did.

Now I am going to stick my tongue out at you in a jeering fashion.

Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby misterman10 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:56 pm

As I suspected, nobodies posting that they voted automatic, as the thought of them being called pussies :-$ is too much for them to handle.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby static_ice on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 pm

misterman10 wrote:As I suspected, nobodies posting that they voted automatic, as the thought of them being called pussies :-$ is too much for them to handle.

and your vote is?
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby misterman10 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:03 pm

static_ice wrote:
misterman10 wrote:As I suspected, nobodies posting that they voted automatic, as the thought of them being called pussies :-$ is too much for them to handle.

and your vote is?
Manual, what else

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby static_ice on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:16 pm

yeah...
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby The Weird One on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:17 pm

HOORAY FOR BIKES :P

Sergeant The Weird One

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:02 am

I vote automatic, gives me a spare hand to jerk off and a spare hand to eat.

Got a problem I'll shoot you with the other spare hand I have due to not having to move the stick shift.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby autoload on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 am

I voted for the bike anyways.
Major autoload

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,