Conquer Club

Why does Country Music have a bad rep?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Why does Country Music have a bad rep?

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm

I have often wondered this, because some people absolutely despise it.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Neoteny on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Honestly, I used to like it, and as I aged I grew away from it. The thematic elements involved are a bit foreign to me and the instruments involved are not generally my favorites (I'm not a huge fan of acoustic guitar). However, I'll note that one of my guilty pleasures is Toby Keith. The man has an amazing voice, for damn sure.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby vtmarik on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Three reasons (at least for me):

1. No killer riffs, solos, or interesting musical progressions like Jazz, Blues, or Rock.
2. The songs always feel lazy to me, like they could only think up two or three other lines to stick at the beginning of the chorus.
3. The type of people who listen to a lot of country where I come from are also the people who watch NASCAR, have confederate flags, and chew tobacco.

I like some country songs because they're awesome. The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks for example. The majority of it though just makes me want to kill myself.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Heimdall on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:40 pm

cuz it sucks
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby Neoteny on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:40 pm

vtmarik wrote:Three reasons (at least for me):

1. No killer riffs, solos, or interesting musical progressions like Jazz, Blues, or Rock.
2. The songs always feel lazy to me, like they could only think up two or three other lines to stick at the beginning of the chorus.
3. The type of people who listen to a lot of country where I come from are also the people who watch NASCAR, have confederate flags, and chew tobacco.

I like some country songs because they're awesome. The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks for example. The majority of it though just makes me want to kill myself.

Man, everyone loves Thunder Rolls... I used to say country music was depressing, and that's why I don't listen to it, but most of the stuff I listen to now isn't exactly upbeat with respect to lyrics if not tone.
Major Neoteny

Postby darvlay on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I can't stand the patriotic overtones.
Sergeant darvlay

Postby heavycola on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 pm

is Folsom Prison Blues a country song? Must be. Maybe the exception that proves the rule.

I think this is what did it for me.

Remember the bill hicks bit - 'let's hunt and kill billy ray cyrus' - if only.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby vtmarik on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm

heavycola wrote:is Folsom Prison Blues a country song? Must be. Maybe the exception that proves the rule.

No, it's a Johnny Cash song. Cash is a genre unto himself.
Last edited by vtmarik on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Heimdall wrote:cuz it sucks
Care to clarify on that one?

Three reasons (at least for me):

I like country music, if not for it's more simple styles, but also because many of the songs I can relate to one way or another. As for the people who listen to country here, they vary from Cowboys to Techers (pronounced like Trekkers, but no 'R').

Honestly, I used to like it, and as I aged I grew away from it. The thematic elements involved are a bit foreign to me and the instruments involved are not generally my favorites (I'm not a huge fan of acoustic guitar). However, I'll note that one of my guilty pleasures is Toby Keith. The man has an amazing voice, for damn sure.
I can say the same for pop music myself. But, as I grow older, I come to like it more and more.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm

vtmarik wrote:
heavycola wrote:is Folsom Prison Blues a country song? Must be. Maybe the exception that proves the rule.

To true, to true.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby btownmeggy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Neoteny wrote:However, I'll note that one of my guilty pleasures is Toby Keith. The man has an amazing voice, for damn sure.

A joke?

If this Toby Keith is the same person I'm thinking of (the guy from the Ford or Chevy or whatever commercials), he represents all that is wrong with country music today.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby glide on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Its like the old joke.....whaddiya get if you play a country record backwards? You get yer wife back, your truck back, and yer dog back.
The "old" stuff was too depressing (and musically simple) for me...but some of the new stuff is very close to blues, and rock, and Im liking more and more of it.
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Private 1st Class glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Postby Neoteny on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:52 pm

btownmeggy wrote:
Neoteny wrote:However, I'll note that one of my guilty pleasures is Toby Keith. The man has an amazing voice, for damn sure.

A joke?

If this Toby Keith is the same person I'm thinking of (the guy from the Ford or Chevy or whatever commercials), he represents all that is wrong with country music today.

Unfortunately, no... I disagree with everything he represents, but I like his music. Go figure.

EDIT: Kinda like how I feel about Demon Hunter or some TFK songs. I disagree, but still good.
Last edited by Neoteny on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Neoteny

Postby Heimdall on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:53 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
Heimdall wrote:cuz it sucks
Care to clarify on that one?

Just razzing you. Honestly i don't care much for country but i would rather listen to that then hardcore rap.

In the end, It's all about taste and you can't really argue over that.

I agree with darvlay, but there's always the odd song out that i like.
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby darvlay on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:55 pm

vtmarik wrote:

Cash is country. Just like George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Wanda Jackson, and many other great performers. The problem with Country is that it is exclusively American (or to a lesser extent, Canadian) and tends to lend itself too often to McLuhan's thesis of 'the medium is the message'. Johnny Cash is also guilty of this with songs like Man in Black, Ragged Old Flag and other such tripe.

Not saying I don't like country or Cash, I do! But it is probably my least favourite genre as a whole.
Sergeant darvlay

Postby btownmeggy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 pm

glide wrote:The "old" stuff was too depressing (and musically simple) for me...but some of the new stuff is very close to blues, and rock, and Im liking more and more of it.

See, I feel just the opposite. I love sad music. I love the folk aesthetic. Dolly Parton a la 1970 makes me feel like jelly... in a wonderful, wonderful way.

The new stuff sounds just like all the rest of the bad music on the radio except the singers have Southern accents.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby darvlay on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:58 pm

btownmeggy wrote:
glide wrote:The "old" stuff was too depressing (and musically simple) for me...but some of the new stuff is very close to blues, and rock, and Im liking more and more of it.

See, I feel just the opposite. I love sad music. I love the folk aesthetic. Dolly Parton a la 1970 makes me feel like jelly... in a wonderful, wonderful way...

You would love Patsy Cline then...
Sergeant darvlay

Postby btownmeggy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:00 pm

darvlay wrote:
btownmeggy wrote:

See, I feel just the opposite. I love sad music. I love the folk aesthetic. Dolly Parton a la 1970 makes me feel like jelly... in a wonderful, wonderful way...

You would love Patsy Cline then...

Sure I do.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:20 pm

darvlay wrote:
vtmarik wrote:

Cash is country. Just like George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Wanda Jackson, and many other great performers. The problem with Country is that it is exclusively American (or to a lesser extent, Canadian) and tends to lend itself too often to McLuhan's thesis of 'the medium is the message'. Johnny Cash is also guilty of this with songs like Man in Black, Ragged Old Flag and other such tripe.

Not saying I don't like country or Cash, I do! But it is probably my least favorite genre as a whole.
I really don't see the problem of it being almost exclusively American (with the occasional exception).

As for Johnny Cash being Country, how many other people can be heard as often on a classic rock station AND a country music station? Not many, I can tell you that.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby darvlay on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
darvlay wrote:
vtmarik wrote:

Not saying I don't like country or Cash, I do! But it is probably my least favorite genre as a whole.
I really don't see the problem of it being almost exclusively American (with the occasional exception).

As for Johnny Cash being Country, how many other people can be heard as often on a classic rock station AND a country music station? Not many, I can tell you that.

The Byrds
Gram Parsons
CSNY
Neil Young
among many others...

Let's face it - the only reason Cash is so popular amongst a new crowd now is because Rick Rubin revived his career. Nobody was listening to Cash for YEARS. Just like no one listens to Elvis.

(I've probably said too much now.)
Sergeant darvlay

Postby Stymie on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 pm

I like country music, if not for it's more simple styles, but also because many of the songs I can relate to one way or another. As for the people who listen to country here, they vary from Cowboys to Techers (pronounced like Trekkers, but no 'R').

What the heck, "Techers?" I have never heard of that before.
Corporal Stymie

Postby dustn64 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Country Music Is The Best. End Of Story.
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Stymie wrote:

What the heck, "Techers?" I have never heard of that before.
A type of student that goes to WyoTech here. Trouble makers, to say the least. Not to mention knocking up Junior High students from time to time.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Napoleon Ier on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry...I'm sorry...

:lol:

I'm just imagining mtg in aviators and a cowboy hat with a red hankerchief around his neck, cradling a shotgun and a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon whilst he listens to country rock on his SUV stereo ranting about "drivin' them trouble makers outta town" in a John Wayne voice...why can I not be American...why?
Le Roy est mort: Vive le Roy!

Dieu et mon Pays.
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Location: Exploiting the third world's genetic plant resources.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Napoleon Ier wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry...I'm sorry...

:lol:

I'm just imagining mtg in aviators and a cowboy hat with a red hankerchief around his neck, cradling a shotgun and a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon whilst he listens to country rock on his SUV stereo ranting about "drivin' them trouble makers outta town" in a John Wayne voice...why can I not be American...why?
I don't drive an SUV, I drive a 74 Chevy Pickup. :?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,