Conquer Club

Googol Chrome

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Googol Chrome

Postby pancakemix on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 pm

What if you had 10^100 units of chrome? and what would you do with it?
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: Googol Chrome

Postby Nickbaldwin on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 pm

i would use google to see if anyone else had as much.
LOCK THIS FUCKING THREAD.
Captain Nickbaldwin

Postby The1exile on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:25 pm

define "units".
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby pancakemix on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:28 pm

The1exile wrote:define "units".

A physical amount. Let's just say a kilogram=1 unit.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby The1exile on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I'd leave it there on account of it being freakin' heavy.
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I guess he's talking about atomic mass units.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby The1exile on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:43 pm

MeDeFe wrote:

well, I would have thought so, but seeing as he isn't, who's the silly boy now eh?
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:47 pm

The1exile wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:

well, I would have thought so, but seeing as he isn't, who's the silly boy now eh?

pancake for being unintentionally ambiguous in his first post?
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Major MeDeFe

Postby Iliad on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:22 pm

I'll try to get a googleplex chromes. Cause googleplex is a cool word
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Nikolai on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Um... a googleplex would be 10^Google. Not a real number, albeit a cool one. I believe what you're looking for is a googolplex... being 10^10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, which is a really cool number... although arguably also not real, since there aren't so many of anything at all, ever. To give you something to compare... the estimated number of subatomic particles in the universe is (I believe) 10^213. Oh, and if you had a googolplex units of chrome, regardless of unit size, I would suggesting finding some antimatter, fast, before the universe is destroyed.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:06 am

Nikolai wrote:Um... a googleplex would be 10^Google. Not a real number, albeit a cool one. I believe what you're looking for is a googolplex... being 10^10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, which is a really cool number... although arguably also not real, since there aren't so many of anything at all, ever. To give you something to compare... the estimated number of subatomic particles in the universe is (I believe) 10^213. Oh, and if you had a googolplex units of chrome, regardless of unit size, I would suggesting finding some antimatter, fast, before the universe is destroyed.

Wouldn't the resulting explosion of the chrome and the antimatter also destroy the universe?
Major MeDeFe

Postby Nikolai on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm

MeDeFe wrote:Wouldn't the resulting explosion of the chrome and the antimatter also destroy the universe?

Science fiction nonsense! There's no reason to assume that antimatter and matter would react in an explosive manner, particularly given E=mc^2.

(Of course, there's no reason to assume that they wouldn't, either... we really have no clue, since antimatter is a speculative thing at best. So... maybe.)

((Of course, since speculation states that the universe started with an explosion, it would be just as reasonable to speculate that the resulting speculative explosion would start entire new universes! Probably speculative in nature...))

:mrgreen:

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:57 am

Nikolai wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:Wouldn't the resulting explosion of the chrome and the antimatter also destroy the universe?

Science fiction nonsense! There's no reason to assume that antimatter and matter would react in an explosive manner, particularly given E=mc^2.

That's exactly why there would be an explosion, a lot of matter goes missing and so an obscenely huge amount of energy is released. Explosion.
Major MeDeFe

Postby Nikolai on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
Nikolai wrote:

That's exactly why there would be an explosion, a lot of matter goes missing and so an obscenely huge amount of energy is released. Explosion.

No, the principle of mass-energy equivalence states that all mass has an associated energy. Derived from this is our understanding that matter converts to energy and vice versa. And the conservation laws of mass and energy state that if matter is decreased, energy must have been released. But if matter, rather than being converted to energy, were simply to cease to exist because it was united with antimatter, you have actually destroyed the matter, rather than converting it. We have no idea what would happen, since E=mc^2 doesn't contain any derivatives that would explain what happens when something meets its scientific antithesis, and seems to indicate that if matter is destroyed, energy is likewise destroyed... we just don't know if it's kinetic or potential energy. (That's right... antimatter/matter collision could produce black holes!) We just have it set in our heads that antimatter + matter = BOOM because antimatter engines sound cool on Star Trek, and you need an energy release for engines to work. :roll: (And, to be fair, antimatter weapons would be freaking ridiculous... shoot something, and it ceases to exist.)

Beyond that, there's no known scientific support to indicate that there would or would not be an explosion, since antimatter is entirely theoretical, has never been isolated, and no one has ever knowingly witnessed antimatter colliding with matter. Because science is intended to be based on experimentation, replication, and observation, any statements about what happens when antimatter meets matter are entirely speculation. (In much the same way that both the evolution and the intelligent design theories are entirely speculation, only more so, since we know the world started somehow, but we don't know that antimatter exists.)

Postby jiminski on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Nikolai wrote:No, the principle of mass-energy equivalence states that all mass has an associated energy. Derived from this is our understanding that matter converts to energy and vice versa. And the conservation laws of mass and energy state that if matter is decreased, energy must have been released. But if matter, rather than being converted to energy, were simply to cease to exist because it was united with antimatter, you have actually destroyed the matter, rather than converting it. We have no idea what would happen, since E=mc^2 doesn't contain any derivatives that would explain what happens when something meets its scientific antithesis, and seems to indicate that if matter is destroyed, energy is likewise destroyed... we just don't know if it's kinetic or potential energy. (That's right... antimatter/matter collision could produce black holes!) We just have it set in our heads that antimatter + matter = BOOM because antimatter engines sound cool on Star Trek, and you need an energy release for engines to work. :roll: (And, to be fair, antimatter weapons would be freaking ridiculous... shoot something, and it ceases to exist.)

Beyond that, there's no known scientific support to indicate that there would or would not be an explosion, since antimatter is entirely theoretical, has never been isolated, and no one has ever knowingly witnessed antimatter colliding with matter. Because science is intended to be based on experimentation, replication, and observation, any statements about what happens when antimatter meets matter are entirely speculation. (In much the same way that both the evolution and the intelligent design theories are entirely speculation, only more so, since we know the world started somehow, but we don't know that antimatter exists.)

If something does not matter is it antimatter?
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Matroshka on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 pm

jiminski wrote:
Nikolai wrote:No, the principle of mass-energy equivalence states that all mass has an associated energy. Derived from this is our understanding that matter converts to energy and vice versa. And the conservation laws of mass and energy state that if matter is decreased, energy must have been released. But if matter, rather than being converted to energy, were simply to cease to exist because it was united with antimatter, you have actually destroyed the matter, rather than converting it. We have no idea what would happen, since E=mc^2 doesn't contain any derivatives that would explain what happens when something meets its scientific antithesis, and seems to indicate that if matter is destroyed, energy is likewise destroyed... we just don't know if it's kinetic or potential energy. (That's right... antimatter/matter collision could produce black holes!) We just have it set in our heads that antimatter + matter = BOOM because antimatter engines sound cool on Star Trek, and you need an energy release for engines to work. :roll: (And, to be fair, antimatter weapons would be freaking ridiculous... shoot something, and it ceases to exist.)

If it nots matter it is
Sergeant 1st Class Matroshka

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:14 pm

instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby pimpdave on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 pm

jiminski wrote:

Only if it's not posted in The (not yet) Banned.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,