Conquer Club

What Is Spam?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What Is Spam?

Postby b.k. barunt on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Dear Abby,
I don't get on the site much anymore, and i just dropped by briefly to amuse myself with some chuckles here. I see this thread about the Queen being dead (besides metaphorically), and i checked it out, found the banter amusing, and then see that some new mod (looking for a new notch on his mod gun or just bored?) has deemed it to be "spam". WTF?

My understanding of "spam"- which you must admit is a rather ambiguous and subjective term to begin with - is nonsensical type stuff that i see all over this forum. What is it that made the dead Queen thread more spammish than say, "who would you shag"?

I really am curious here. Is there a standing definition for spam, or are we at the mercy of groping wannabes with their junior mod starter kits?

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiignnnnned,
Bewildered. (sorry Johnny)

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Re: What Is Spam?

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 pm

Is your name Cockney rhyming slang?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby pimpdave on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:06 am

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/B

It's not listed here, if it is. I doubt jones is a Bob Cryer, but someone should Bill Murray to that site and add a definition before we all catch Me Mum's Tampax!

(I think I'm doing this wrong, somehow)
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:56 am

pimpdave wrote:http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/B

It's not listed here, if it is. I doubt jones is a Bob Cryer, but someone should Bill Murray to that site and add a definition before we all catch Me Mum's Tampax!

(I think I'm doing this wrong, somehow)

I felt you were reaching at the end there.

Nice list. As you'll see from it, rhyming slang often changes to include topical celebrities or events. Since the bit that rhymes is often dropped, a word or phrase will often linger after the name or reference is gone.

People still say "Taters" for "cold", and if asked will say, "Yeah, 'taters'. 'Taters in the mould. Cold'" as if this explains it. Nobody has so far been able to tell me when you put potatoes in a mould.

New rhyming slang may be coined as events happen or people become famous for a particularly appropriate reason. "up the Gary" became a popular phrase once again as Mr Glitter's fame resurfaced for all the wrong reasons.

The actor Gareth Hunt was for a while a popular bit of rhyming slang. This was particularly neat since you could imply at the same time that someone was a bit of a Merchant by imitating the shaking motion of the hand he displayed in the "three kinds of coffee bean" advert, which was rather suggestive.

So should my naughty suggestion above become normal amongst the CC community, to say "You're a bit of a BK" might continue to have meaning even if BKB left the scene. (Much like the "Honibaz" sign-off)
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Spuzzell on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:05 am

Spam is a processed pork product that comes in tins, and smells distressingly like cock.

I looked at the queen thread briefly, but no-one had said "sorry to hear about your Dad" to the original post, so I left. Mods can kill it all they want IMHO, even if it's not spam it's not exactly worthwhile.

I've always just assumed B.K was going for the rhyming slang stylee, and in my head I awarded him points for both honesty and accuracy in his choice of name. Good job B.K!
Corporal 1st Class Spuzzell

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,