Conquer Club

Democrats succumb to "drill baby drill"

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Democrats succumb to "drill baby drill"

Postby gdeangel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:50 am

Glad we can count on them to be a fortress of reason in a frenzied country of financial worry.

I'm going out this weekend to get another Hummer!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/us/12cong.html

I question whether it's the right thing to do - being a true conservationist (and I don't really have a Hummer) - but I can't believe the audacity to flip flop on this one after heavily criticizing the Republicans on it. It would be about akin to McCain turning pro-life. :roll: (Which, if your wondering why that flip-flop doesn't bother me, I don't care about because I have to live with the environment ... I don't have to perform any abortions even if they are legal.)
Sergeant gdeangel

Re: Democrats succumb to "drill baby drill"

Postby Snorri1234 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Dammit you guys. Drill, drill, drill is the most retarded policy you can come up with. Don't fucking listen to the republicans on this.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby bbqpenguin on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 pm

i've been in favor of drilling for quite a while now, and though i'm a bit dissappointed in the Dems' hypocracy in this instance. i can't say i'm really surprised tho it's not unusual for politicians to change their stance especially when public opinion is fairly heavily against them
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby Nikolai on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Depends. If they changed their mind because of new information or something, that's not a particularly bad thing. If they changed their minds because of political pressure... that's crummy. I favor the guy who sticks to what he thinks is right over the guy who plays to the electorate. Unfortunately, that particular political tendency cuts across party lines... :x
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby Snorri1234 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Nikolai wrote:Depends. If they changed their mind because of new information or something, that's not a particularly bad thing. If they changed their minds because of political pressure... that's crummy. I favor the guy who sticks to what he thinks is right over the guy who plays to the electorate. Unfortunately, that particular political tendency cuts across party lines... :x

And across country-lines too.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby Fircoal on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:Dammit you guys. Drill, drill, drill is the most retarded policy you can come up with. Don't fucking listen to the republicans on this.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Simon Viavant on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:29 pm

I live in Alaska, the place in question. Last time we drilled here, it created the oil pipeline, and every drop of that oil gets shipped overseas, for all that McCain's touting energy independence.
ImageImageImage
Remember Them
Corporal Simon Viavant

Postby Nikolai on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:
Nikolai wrote:Depends. If they changed their mind because of new information or something, that's not a particularly bad thing. If they changed their minds because of political pressure... that's crummy. I favor the guy who sticks to what he thinks is right over the guy who plays to the electorate. Unfortunately, that particular political tendency cuts across party lines... :x

Fact.

Simon Viavant wrote:I live in Alaska, the place in question. Last time we drilled here, it created the oil pipeline, and every drop of that oil gets shipped overseas, for all that McCain's touting energy independence.

That's because for all the whining about how much oil the USA burns through, the big demand creators right now are the developing economies in India and China. That's why prices are going up.

F*cking India and China...

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:50 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Snorri1234 wrote:

Fact.

Simon Viavant wrote:I live in Alaska, the place in question. Last time we drilled here, it created the oil pipeline, and every drop of that oil gets shipped overseas, for all that McCain's touting energy independence.

That's because for all the whining about how much oil the USA burns through, the big demand creators right now are the developing economies in India and China. That's why prices are going up.

F*cking India and China...

... Yes, China & India are the reasons but we still use a lot more than they do. Gotta' keep that in mind.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Neoteny on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:59 pm

If I've read the information right, the Democrats are offering the drilling as a form of "compromise." I know conservatives are unfamiliar with this term as can be seen by statements like "not going far enough" from that camp. Twist it around as you like, but this is an effort to actually get something accomplished, rather than further entrench the positions.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Nikolai on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:32 am

Neoteny wrote:If I've read the information right, the Democrats are offering the drilling as a form of "compromise." I know conservatives are unfamiliar with this term as can be seen by statements like "not going far enough" from that camp. Twist it around as you like, but this is an effort to actually get something accomplished, rather than further entrench the positions.

"Compromise" is a very, very good phrase for this... although I don't think it's quite the compliment you wish.

Postby HapSmo19 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 am

Neoteny wrote:Twist it around as you like, but this is an effort to actually get something accomplished,....

Like picking up a few points in the polls.
Lieutenant HapSmo19

Postby Neoteny on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:12 am

HapSmo19 wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Twist it around as you like, but this is an effort to actually get something accomplished,....

Like picking up a few points in the polls.

Twisty twisty.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,