Conquer Club

Bias in the Media, LOL

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am

notyou2 wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Yeah, the government promotes odd racism.

"White Hispanic" is the term for it on the census, iirc.

Hope they sue NBC...

notyou2 wrote:Yeah, a 17 year old black boys armed with Skittles and a can of pop is a thug, while an armed adult male looking for trouble in his neighbourhood is an upright law abiding citizen.

Your country is FUCKED

Would you just let someone beat you up half to death and not do anything about it. Zimmerman was on the Neighborhood watch team (HE lived in a neighborhood that has had numerous robbery's and other crimes committed in). He WAS looking for trouble, but he was looking for trouble to END IT and keep his neighborhood safe, not looking to START it.

If your child went to the store to buy skittles and a pop and did not come home, how would you feel? If he was selected to be followed and watched due to the colour of his skin, how would you feel?

If your child beat someone up for following him, how would you feel?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:53 am

Phatscotty wrote:NBC is being sued, and the "bias in the media, LOL!" reporters who edited the tape got fired.

Yet it was the New York times who originally described Zimmerman as white, then white-hispanic. A couple weeks ago, they described Z as "half-Peruvian". The white people who have been injured by Trayvon beatings should sue the NYT.

People still think Zimmerman is white because of that. At the press conference some lady asked the prosecuting attorney "if the races were reversed, and Trayvon was white and Zimmerman was black......" and the attorney did not even correct her and actually played out the speculative angle.

All this has happened because of Liberal media racism and black racism against whites.

All this angst and yet Zimmerman IS white.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby hotfire on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:NBC is being sued, and the "bias in the media, LOL!" reporters who edited the tape got fired.

Yet it was the New York times who originally described Zimmerman as white, then white-hispanic. A couple weeks ago, they described Z as "half-Peruvian". The white people who have been injured by Trayvon beatings should sue the NYT.

People still think Zimmerman is white because of that. At the press conference some lady asked the prosecuting attorney "if the races were reversed, and Trayvon was white and Zimmerman was black......" and the attorney did not even correct her and actually played out the speculative angle.

All this has happened because of Liberal media racism and black racism against whites.

we should start a movement to get latinos to call themselves white!
Colonel hotfire

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

hotfire wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

we should start a movement to get latinos to call themselves white!

So if I call myself "Asian", nobody can treat me like the white guy I am? Factually, Zimmerman is white.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby hotfire on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 pm

so if he went to prison which gang would recruit him? the latin kings or the aryan brotherhood? or are they the same?
Colonel hotfire

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm

hotfire wrote:so if he went to prison which gang would recruit him? the latin kings or the aryan brotherhood? or are they the same?

As I've already pointed out, Hispanic is not a race. It is an ethnicity. A Hispanic is a white person by racial definition. Is that difficult to understand? For reference, look at the post I was responding to, and perhaps you'll be able to understand why I said it.

Here, I'll even put it here for you:

Phatscotty wrote:Yet it was the New York times who originally described Zimmerman as white, then white-hispanic. A couple weeks ago, they described Z as "half-Peruvian". The white people who have been injured by Trayvon beatings should sue the NYT.

People still think Zimmerman is white because of that.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:
hotfire wrote:so if he went to prison which gang would recruit him? the latin kings or the aryan brotherhood? or are they the same?

As I've already pointed out, Hispanic is not a race. It is an ethnicity. A Hispanic is a white person by racial definition. Is that difficult to understand? For reference, look at the post I was responding to, and perhaps you'll be able to understand why I said it.

Does Woodruff understand that identity is subjectively defined--regardless of race/ethnicity?

But even the government disagrees with him:

What is Race?

The data on race were derived from answers to the question on race that was asked of individuals in the United States. The Census Bureau collects racial data in accordance with guidelines provided by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and these data are based on self-identification.

The racial categories included in the census questionnaire generally reflect a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically. In addition, it is recognized that the categories of the race item include racial and national origin or sociocultural groups. People may choose to report more than one race to indicate their racial mixture, such as ā€œAmerican Indianā€ and ā€œWhite.ā€ People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race.

OMB requires five minimum categories: White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

For the OMB definitions of these categories, please click on the ā€œAbout Raceā€ tab above.

http://www.census.gov/population/race/

Gee, that's troublesome for Woodruff's worldview. :(

So, the claim, "a Hispanic is a white person by racial definition," simply isn't true. Think about people in Cuba. Many have roots from Africa, others from Spain, Europe, etc., and the same applies to many other Central and Southern American places, so it doesn't follow that a Hispanic is a white person by racial definition.

Don't let Woodruff brow-beat y'all around.
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby patches70 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Zimmerman is white, BBS! Get with the program, man. Ya gotta follow the narrative to the bitter, bitter end, or else everything is in vain. Silly dinosaur, how dare you contradict your media masters and political betters?

I wonder, how does Zimmerman identify himself? Maybe we should give the IRS a call and get all his tax records forwarded. Or maybe give the NSA a call, they'll know! Maybe his census forms? I'm sure someone would be quite willing to leak such things. People wanna know!
Private patches70

Postby Woodruff on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 am

patches70 wrote:Zimmerman is white, BBS! Get with the program, man. Ya gotta follow the narrative to the bitter, bitter end, or else everything is in vain. Silly dinosaur, how dare you contradict your media masters and political betters?

It's humorous that you consider me someone who would blindly follow the media and politicians...I suppose anything to try to discredit me?

At any rate, I suppose you guys don't understand what the term "Hispanic" means or what it's entymology is?

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 am

Oh wait guys.
Woodruff wrote:Hispanic IS WHITE. Hispanic is not a race. Hispanic is an ethnicity.

This cracks me up every time I look at it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Nobunaga on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:01 am

(Not aimed at Woodruff).

Hispanic is a race when it serves a purpose. For claims of discrimination / racism, it serves well to call it a race.

But Woodruff is right, race is a human creation. Any members of a species that are able to produce offspring - and in turn those offspring are further capable of reproduction (important qualifier), are essentially the same.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Nobunaga on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 am

Meanwhile....

CNN wrote:(CNSNews.com) ā€“ In the 20-day period of the George Zimmerman trial, four minors ā€“ three teens and a five-year-old boy - were gunned down in Chicago, according to Homicide Watch Chicago, a Chicago Sun-Times publication, which details every murder that takes place in the city. - See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/four-ch ... Ruopo.dpuf

Does anybody give a sh*te? Did these kids look like Obama's children? Were the shooters white or hispanic? Were they black? Were they white-African or perhaps Asian-Eskimo?

It's pathetic the way this Zimmerman thing is playing out when you see how it ignores real problems.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am

Nobunaga wrote:(Not aimed at Woodruff).

Hispanic is a race when it serves a purpose. For claims of discrimination / racism, it serves well to call it a race.

But Woodruff is right, race is a human creation. Any members of a species that are able to produce offspring - and in turn those offspring are further capable of reproduction (important qualifier), are essentially the same.

Surprised this is being debated again (well, not really, ;) )

There is no biological definition of race. Any lines that are drawn will find too many exceptions. It is a continuum.

That said, people try to place artificial meanings to many things.. the type of dress, where people live, the way they talk, etc. And, absolutely, too many people find it convenient to refer to race when they can gain some kind of benefit.. and deny it when it means no benefit or maybe even that they have to give something up (such as hispanics being classed as "merely white" -- when years ago they worked hard to gain that title).
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 am

"Journalists" are working their way into the Obama administration. 15, thus far, have left their reporting jobs to join his crew.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... nistration

A look at the family ties between the administration and major media.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... -officials

Postby Symmetry on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 am

The big news here is that someone still treats breitbart.com as a serious source of information.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:34 pm

for realz
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah, I'm sure they're just making that all up. :roll:

Postby Lootifer on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 pm

So some dude confirms your government is likely pretty damn corrupt...

WELL HOLEY COW BATMAN, ALERT THE PRESSES, THATS CRAZY TALK!!!!

(thats my liberal snotty way of agreeing with you btw - shits grim).
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby patches70 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Bias in the media? I'll let you all be the judge, though the "bias" may not be what some thought it was. Time magazine, has four regional issues. These are the covers of all four issues for the week September 16, Vol 182, issue 12. Spot the odd one out-

Heh heh, what a wonderful media we have in the US, making sure people are "informed". Thoughts on why the cover of the US issue is so different?

Oh, and one other thing to consider, the managing editor of Time, Richard Stengel, is leaving Time magazine to work as under secretary of state for public diplomacy and public affairs at the State Department.......
Private patches70

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Is it so different? Or just the cover? The contents seem to be pretty Syria orientated. To be fair, I don't really bother with Time magazine that much anyway.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patches70 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 pm

In related news, Time magazine has launched a new line of magazine aimed at adults called "Time Advanced", as reported by The Onion-

Private patches70

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Funny, I misremembered that Onion article as about Newsweek, which also fit.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby patches70 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Symmetry wrote:Is it so different? Or just the cover? The contents seem to be pretty Syria orientated. To be fair, I don't really bother with Time magazine that much anyway.

Well, the cover has inside what is called the "cover story", it's the main article in the magazine. Indeed, the US cover story is not the same as the other three international cover stories. However, the international cover story is included in the US edition, but buried deeper in the magazine.

Time does this all the time, as documented thusly-

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/2 ... E-Magazine

The most important world events given prominence in the international editions, but in the US those stories are put on the back burner and in their place of prominence is fluff.

Once the US media was separate, a check on the government often times and informing the US public of events of the world at large. Not so much any more as US media has become another arm of US propaganda.
How often have we seen people from other nationalities saying "you Americans, you only think about yourselves and know nothing of the rest of the world" and similar arguments along with the standard "travel beyond your borders some and learn more about the world".
Well, to those who say/think that, I give you the US media, so that one may understand the US centric thinking of so many US citizens. They are willfully kept in the dark as determined by US policy which the media is so willing to be a partner of peddling the propaganda and keeping the US public "on message" (or off message, depending on the circumstance) instead of actually giving a bigger picture. And then the public tricked into the Liberal vs Conservative/ Repoblian vs Demorat false dichotomy as "bias against my side" as every side can say that.

The truth is that there is bias in the media, obviously, and that bias is to keep America on the proper narrative. Truth is secondary and being informative is not needed unless it's part of whatever narrative is being peddled at the time.

But true enough, Time magazine is a rag, but Time Inc is a media conglomerate empire and that gives them a lot of control over information and how that information is disseminated.
And it's getting worse as recent Senate activities regarding setting conditions on what constitutes a journalist/news disseminator. The government will decide who is a journalist if they get their way and who is and isn't protected under freedom of the press. A very troubling thing indeed as a free press is very important to freedom, liberty and a just nation.
Private patches70

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm

patches70 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Is it so different? Or just the cover? The contents seem to be pretty Syria orientated. To be fair, I don't really bother with Time magazine that much anyway.

Well, the cover has inside what is called the "cover story", it's the main article in the magazine. Indeed, the US cover story is not the same as the other three international cover stories. However, the international cover story is included in the US edition, but buried deeper in the magazine.

The most important world events given prominence in the international editions, but in the US those stories are put on the back burner and in their place of prominence is fluff.

Once the US media was separate, a check on the government often times and informing the US public of events of the world at large. Not so much any more as US media has become another arm of US propaganda.
How often have we seen people from other nationalities saying "you Americans, you only think about yourselves and know nothing of the rest of the world" and similar arguments along with the standard "travel beyond your borders some and learn more about the world".
Well, to those who say/think that, I give you the US media, so that one may understand the US centric thinking of so many US citizens. They are willfully kept in the dark as determined by US policy which the media is so willing to be a partner of peddling the propaganda and keeping the US public "on message" (or off message, depending on the circumstance) instead of actually giving a bigger picture. And then the public tricked into the Liberal vs Conservative/ Repoblian vs Demorat false dichotomy as "bias against my side" as every side can say that.

The truth is that there is bias in the media, obviously, and that bias is to keep America on the proper narrative. Truth is secondary and being informative is not needed unless it's part of whatever narrative is being peddled at the time.

But true enough, Time magazine is a rag, but Time Inc is a media conglomerate empire and that gives them a lot of control over information and how that information is disseminated.
And it's getting worse as recent Senate activities regarding setting conditions on what constitutes a journalist/news disseminator. The government will decide who is a journalist if they get their way and who is and isn't protected under freedom of the press. A very troubling thing indeed as a free press is very important to freedom, liberty and a just nation.

The cover, and urgh, I really don't like to defend Time on this, does also indicate that Syria and Putin will be main stories. As the contents indicate, they were the main stories in the magazine,

Of course the weird relationship between colleges and professional sports has little interest outside of the US.

So here's the thing, this seems like a bit of a dumb move in order to sell magazines. It does not seem like a bias in the "media" in the way that you are presenting it.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 pm

patches70 wrote:

hmm...

The thing is that most people don't get their news from what you call "the US media", not really. There was a time when they did, and, ironically enough, the news was a bit less biased (note I did NOT say "unbiased"). Now we have multiple opinions in various news sources, but most of what people read is just entertainment.. or opinion. When its opinion, its opinion that mostly agrees with what they already thing, rather than other people's opinions or truly resourced and researched facts.
Corporal PLAYER57832

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,