Conquer Club

Poll on Racism

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is it just as racist to SUPPORT someone based on race; as it is to OPPOSE someone based on race

Total votes : 0

Re: Poll on Racism

Postby Neoteny on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Well, of course we're disagreeing. But that doesn't necessarily mean we should stop trying to resolve the dispute.

Also, I'm glad you're so smart, but you really aren't very good at lucid communication.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am

Neoteny wrote:Well, of course we're disagreeing. But that doesn't necessarily mean we should stop trying to resolve the dispute.

Also, I'm glad you're so smart, but you really aren't very good at lucid communication.

\Everything you have said in response, was off from what I was saying. I will share fault for that
Major Phatscotty

Postby Neoteny on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 am

How have I been off?
Major Neoteny

Postby MeDeFe on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 am

This is like watching 2-man surrealist stand-up comedy.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Neoteny on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:27 am

Phatscotty wrote:Neo, what do you do? For a living? I am curious

Missed this. Currently, retail. I've just finished my degree, however, and expect to move on to an academic field. Why do you ask? To demonstrate how thoroughly my professors have brainwashed me?
Major Neoteny

Postby danfrank on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:31 am

Neoteny wrote:

Missed this. Currently, retail. I've just finished my degree, however, and expect to move on to an academic field. Why do you ask? To demonstrate how thoroughly my professors have brainwashed me?

Nice, atleast your aware of what the Nutty Proffesors of todays academic community are doing to the young minds of tomorrow.. For that you shall be applauded =D>
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby comic boy on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:25 pm

danfrank wrote:
Neoteny wrote:

Missed this. Currently, retail. I've just finished my degree, however, and expect to move on to an academic field. Why do you ask? To demonstrate how thoroughly my professors have brainwashed me?[/quote

Nice, atleast your aware of what the Nutty Proffesors of todays academic community are doing to the young minds of tomorrow.. For that you shall be applauded =D>

A generation of free thinkers..........Oh the horror :D
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 pm

comic boy wrote:
danfrank wrote:
Neoteny wrote:

Missed this. Currently, retail. I've just finished my degree, however, and expect to move on to an academic field. Why do you ask? To demonstrate how thoroughly my professors have brainwashed me?[/quote

not at all, but i did momentarily flirt with how I might feel at the way you answered it, possibly. I myself have been in retail since I was 16. that makes 14 years total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Neoteny on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:07 pm

I definitely do not hold contempt for those in the retail position. I don't particularly enjoy the work, but that's not a sleight against those who do.
Major Neoteny

Postby MeDeFe on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 pm

You need to find a job herding lolcats.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby got tonkaed on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 pm

MeDeFe wrote:You need to find a job herding lolcats.

either that or get people to pay you to herd your lolcats for you under some vauge ecotourism banner.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:37 pm

In Soviet Russia, lolcats herd you!!

oops, wrong thread...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 pm

comic boy wrote:
danfrank wrote:
Neoteny wrote:

Free thinkers? Professors with an agenda are educating students to be free thinkers? I'm not sure how that scenario is different than a minister with an agenda "educating" his parishioners.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
comic boy wrote:
danfrank wrote:
Neoteny wrote:

Free thinkers? Professors with an agenda are educating students to be free thinkers? I'm not sure how that scenario is different than a minister with an agenda "educating" his parishioners.

free thinkers indeed, so long as we think exactly as our college professors do. I've been in a few colleges a few times, and more than 90% of the time, the professor shuts you down and then corrects you in front of the whole class.
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 pm

I've had many professors, most of them have been extremely liberal (both in college and in law school). Of those extremely liberal professors, only two were actually willing to discuss.

I've met many priests, most of them are extremely conservative. Of those priests, all of them were willing to discuss. That being typed, there's a big difference between a priest and a non-Catholic preacher.

Postby pimpdave on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Free thinkers? Professors with an agenda are educating students to be free thinkers? I'm not sure how that scenario is different than a minister with an agenda "educating" his parishioners.

Dude... I know you and I shared many professors. Come on, now. That especially doesn't jive with the philosophy of one professor I know you and I both admire quite a bit. You don't think he had an agenda beyond encouraging us to be free thinkers, and fully understanding the origins of the GOP, do you?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Titanic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:02 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Free thinkers? Professors with an agenda are educating students to be free thinkers? I'm not sure how that scenario is different than a minister with an agenda "educating" his parishioners.

Phatscotty wrote:free thinkers indeed, so long as we think exactly as our college professors do. I've been in a few colleges a few times, and more than 90% of the time, the professor shuts you down and then corrects you in front of the whole class.

thegreekdog wrote:I've had many professors, most of them have been extremely liberal (both in college and in law school). Of those extremely liberal professors, only two were actually willing to discuss.

I've met many priests, most of them are extremely conservative. Of those priests, all of them were willing to discuss. That being typed, there's a big difference between a priest and a non-Catholic preacher.

What the hell professors do you have? All the ones I have had, and the ones that my friends have told me about, encourage discussion and critical thinking. FFS, on one of my essays my politics professor wrote in his notes "I disagree with your outcome but like your method of thinking" and gave me a 1st for it. In our seminars you have people from all ideologies and backgrounds and the professors merely encourage debate and question why people what they believe.

Ironically to your statements, priests and Catholics and all religions rely on a lack of critical thinking. Religion does not promote debate or people questioning what going on or anything like that, and this happens throughout history and in the current day all over the world.
Major Titanic

Postby pimpdave on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Titanic wrote:all religions rely on a lack of critical thinking. Religion does not promote debate or people questioning what going on or anything like that, and this happens throughout history and in the current day all over the world.

I disagree. I think the mention of Thomas' doubt is included in the gospel for a very good reason and he is only vilified by those seeking to control others, yet is used as an example of how we all are by theologians capable of critical thought.

Another example is the story of Jacob wrestling with the angel, among others.

Does the Bible ever actually say that Thomas was sinning by having doubts? Can anyone really say Jesus didn't have doubts while in the desert for forty days and forty nights, or the night before he was crucified, or, most poignantly, when he cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:22 pm

pimpdave wrote:

Dude... I know you and I shared many professors. Come on, now. That especially doesn't jive with the philosophy of one professor I know you and I both admire quite a bit. You don't think he had an agenda beyond encouraging us to be free thinkers, and fully understanding the origins of the GOP, do you?

Maybe I exagerrated the percentage and/or impact. I interned for the dude; he was pretty freaking liberal for a rich guy.

I don't think they have an agenda to indoctrinate students. I think that they think they are right and that everyone should agree with them. I think they have the same agenda as a fundamentalist Christian preacher.

Postby jaimito101 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Colonel jaimito101

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Titanic wrote:In our seminars you have people from all ideologies and backgrounds and the professors merely encourage debate and question why people what they believe.

Hmm... we obviously went to different schools. As I typed, I may have exagerrated a little. My law school professors were far worse than my college professors (law being subject to interpretation more than history and all).

Titanic wrote:Ironically to your statements, priests and Catholics and all religions rely on a lack of critical thinking. Religion does not promote debate or people questioning what going on or anything like that, and this happens throughout history and in the current day all over the world.

I couldn't disagree with you more, at least with respect to Catholics. "Angels and Demons" notwithstanding, the Catholic Church is very open to debate and critical thinking.

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

For the record, I only know the politics of two of my undergrad profs. One was very liberal, the other was very conservative, which I think probably reflects on my educational facility.
Major Neoteny

Postby Titanic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

pimpdave wrote:I disagree. I think the mention of Thomas' doubt is included in the gospel for a very good reason and he is only vilified by those seeking to control others, yet is used as an example of how we all are by theologians capable of critical thought.

Another example is the story of Jacob wrestling with the angel, among others.

Does the Bible ever actually say that Thomas was sinning by having doubts? Can anyone really say Jesus didn't have doubts while in the desert for forty days and forty nights, or the night before he was crucified, or, most poignantly, when he cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

It doesn't matter what the Bible says, the reality is so much different. These gospels may have got their philosophy right, but the church from at least the medieval days have not. The Vatican, the other churches, the other religions do not follow this, they are almost always intolerant and refuse to allow dissent within their religion.
Major Titanic

Postby notyou2 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Titanic wrote:In our seminars you have people from all ideologies and backgrounds and the professors merely encourage debate and question why people what they believe.

Hmm... we obviously went to different schools. As I typed, I may have exagerrated a little. My law school professors were far worse than my college professors (law being subject to interpretation more than history and all).

Titanic wrote:Ironically to your statements, priests and Catholics and all religions rely on a lack of critical thinking. Religion does not promote debate or people questioning what going on or anything like that, and this happens throughout history and in the current day all over the world.

I couldn't disagree with you more, at least with respect to Catholics. "Angels and Demons" notwithstanding, the Catholic Church is very open to debate and critical thinking.

Greek, this is a bit off topic, but do your Orthodox ancestors know you are espousing Catholicism?
Captain notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 am

Titanic wrote:

Phatscotty wrote:free thinkers indeed, so long as we think exactly as our college professors do. I've been in a few colleges a few times, and more than 90% of the time, the professor shuts you down and then corrects you in front of the whole class.

thegreekdog wrote:I've had many professors, most of them have been extremely liberal (both in college and in law school). Of those extremely liberal professors, only two were actually willing to discuss.

What the hell professors do you have? All the ones I have had, and the ones that my friends have told me about, encourage discussion and critical thinking. FFS, on one of my essays my politics professor wrote in his notes "I disagree with your outcome but like your method of thinking" and gave me a 1st for it. In our seminars you have people from all ideologies and backgrounds and the professors merely encourage debate and question why people what they believe.

I'd have really enjoyed attending a university in England.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,