Conquer Club

Tournament Contest: Independence Day! [Winners Announced]

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which are your 3 favourite entries?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Total votes : 0

Re: Tournament Contest: Independence Day!

Postby HighlanderAttack on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 am

I created and I am running my tourney--It is in the create/join forum--do I need to post it here?

Edit-just read rule one so I will post here next
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby HighlanderAttack on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 am

HA's 4th of July(Round 1)

Independence Day, commonly known as July 4th or the Fourth of July, commemorates the Continental Congressā€™ adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The document, primarily written by Thomas Jefferson, served as a formal announcement that the 13 American colonies were no longer part of the British Empire and would henceforth be free and independent states. Regarded as the birthday of the United States of America, the day is typically celebrated with parades, fireworks, ceremonies, barbecues and family gatherings.

Here are the specifications for: HA's 4th of July

This is a continuation of HighlanderAttack's holiday tournaments.

This tourney will be a 1v1 playing five different maps best 3of5 each round.

Maps:

British Isles-our history

13 Colonies-our beginning

USA-what we have become

Woodboro-celebrating in our neighborhoods-great food, family and friends

Arms Race!-watching the fireworks

Anyone with less than 98% taken may be left our of the tourney without a decent excuse that they will play the games without missing turns.

64 entrants
1v1, 2 player games
Seq
chained reinforcements
escalating spoils
no fog

I will use reverse set up to make the match ups-1-8 will play 16-9. Basically each round will have the lowest number playing the highest number. I will just make this list, cut it in half and reverse the higher numbers. PM me if you have questions-these will be posted each round.
There will be four brackets-East-West-North-South-Semis will pit East against West and North against South. Random.org will create the initial brackets

To sign up, just post to this thread

For this tournament premium players only as it will have five games per round

Reserves will be taken for the first round only

When I send a pm you have 48 hours to join or you are automatically forfeited. If I have time I send a reminder, but that should not be expected.

I hope this covers everything.

Player List:
show

Last edited by HighlanderAttack on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Sir. Ricco's Entry: Independence Day: Now and Then

Postby Sir. Ricco on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

Independence Day: Now and Then
Brought to you by the Sir. Ricco Tournament Foundation

Details:

• Objective: Reflect on the history of Independence Day while celebrating the event. Advance through 5 rounds of unique game play to win the tournament.
  • Number of Players: 112
  • Game Load: 1-2
  • Requirements: Two game slots open

Game Settings:

• Map: See Below
  • Number of Players: 2, 4, 7
  • Game Type: Standard
  • Initial Troops: Automatic
  • Play Order: Sequential
  • Spoils: Escalating
  • Reinforcements: Chained
  • Fog of War: No

Game Play:
Independence Day is the most important, patriotic holiday for America. This tournament is a tribute to how it was started and how we celebrate it today.

Qualifications: Signing the Declaration of Independence
The Declaration of Independence was signed by 56 people. Although the date is disputed, the signing of the Declaration of Independence is the reason for the July 4th Celebration.
Map: USA New England (Philadelphia)
    112 players will be randomly matched against one opponent. Each pairing will play one game. The winner signs the Declaration of Independence and advances to Round 1.
Round 1: Now, Celebrating at Home
Every year, millions of Americans celebrate the 4th of July their own way.
Map: USA
    56 players will be split into 14 Divisions of 4. Each division will play 4 games. The goal is to try to collect the most fire works.
    1st place: 20 fireworks
    2nd place: 12 fireworks
    3rd place: 8 fireworks
    4th place: 6 fireworks
    The two players in each division that collect the most fireworks will advance to the next round.
Round 2: Then, Fighting the War
After the Signing of the Declaration of Independents, the American Revolutionary War went into full fury.
Map: 13 Colonies
    28 players will be split into 7 divisions of 4. Each Division will play 5 games. The goal is to free and protect five of the most important colonies from the British.
    Massachusetts
    New York
    New Jersey
    Virginia
    Pennsylvania
    A game will be played for each Colony listed. The two players with the most wins will advance to Round 3. In case of a tie, all players involved in the tie will fight a game to free and protect North Carolina from the British. The winner earns the tie breaker.
Round 3: Now, Going for the Big Boom
After celebrating at home, many Americans will go to a professional fireworks display. Some of the biggest are New York Cityā€™s and Lake Tahoeā€™s.
Maps: USA New England, USA West
    14 players will be split 2 divisions of 7. Each Division will play one game. The goal is to arrive first and get the best seat for the show. Each division will be at a different show.
    Show 1: New York City - USA New England
    Show 2: Lake Tahoe - USA West
    The winner of each game advances to the final round, Round 4.
Round 4: Then, Ratifying the United States Constitution
After the Treaty of Paris ended the war, America was faced with a new and greater problem, creating a new nation. In September 1786, commissioners from five states met to discuss adjustments to the Articles of Confederation. May 1787 delegates began work on the Constitution. On September 17, 1787, the Constitution was complete.
Maps: USA Southeast, USA Great Lakes, USA New England (Maps will be played for each state on the list that is on the map)
    2 players will try to get 9 states to ratify the Constitution. They will visit the 13 states in the following order.
    Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island
    The winner of each game will get the recognition that they were responsible for the ratification. If, after visiting all 13 states no player has 9 states, two states will be picked to be played again, one that player A has ratified and one that player B has ratified. Results from the previous battle will not be changed. So if player A wins on a state that player B has previously ratified, both get the recognition. This will continue till a player has ratified 9 states.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Here's my contribution:

(Not yet posted in create / join a tournament but will be soon - hoping to post as an 'evolving storyline' tournament ... which means, players will discover the plot as they go along and therefore wont be privvy to all of the information here, or at least until they progress through the tournament.)

Edit - now posted in the Create/Join Forum - some information held back as per the 'evolving storyline' theme. Here it is.

:D

Chronicles of a Time Lord - Volume I

(Evolving Storyline Tournament)

Assassin / Terminator

Details:
Travelling through time-and-space in your cunningly cloaked inter-dimensional vessel, you are the custodian of all history, safeguarding against the evil manipulations of other time travellers, with the help of your cryogenically-suspended army.

Whilst passing through the year 2345, Orac, the computer of your SATKOM (Space-and-Time Kinaesthetic Operation Module), alerts you that:

"The Galactic Federation are hatching plans to send further TTTs (Time Travelling Terminators), including TOTA, into various points of the history of Planet Earth. Fearful of human's inter-stellar development and potential, they are attempting to prevent the technological and biological evolution of the American Civilisation.

The TTTs are attempting to nullify the American Civilisation both at its inception and at key transition points in its history. The Federation have identified the date of July the 4th as a weak point, hoping to catch defences off guard during celebrations of Independance Day. These attempts will be made in the years 1962, 2010, 2012, 2028, 2041 & 2044."

Chapter I:
show

Chapter II:
show

Chapter III:
show

Chapter IV:
show

Chapter V:
show

Chapter VI:
show

show: Tournament Format and Points System

show: Settings

show: Requirements

show: Reserves

show: Build-Up Matches

show: Tie Breaks

show: The Draw

show: Missing Turns

show: Joining and Winning Matches

show: Some of the other Tournaments by DJ Teflon
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Tupence on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your entries! We won't be accepting any more entries for this contest, so now the TDs need to create a shortlist - good luck everyone!
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Re: Tournament Contest: Independence Day! [Vote Now]

Postby Tupence on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Voting is now open for one week only - see the first post for details of all the entries. Good luck to all the entrants!

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Postby Mar-De-Lafayette on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 am

i remember this day i work lot for him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Mar-De-Lafayette

Postby Night Strike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 pm

So how many entrants had to send out PMs just to get votes for themselves?? :roll:
Major Night Strike

Postby tanjyr on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:45 pm

pity the tourneys that deserve the win don't have too many votes compared to the rest

how is white moose's tournament relevant to the independence day theme at all, other than saying it happened on 4th july? and highlanderattack's tournament seems to borrow ideas from one of the entries before his.
Lieutenant tanjyr

Postby Night Strike on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 pm

tanjyr wrote:how is white moose's tournament relevant to the independence day theme at all, other than saying it happened on 4th july?

All those scenes are from a movie titled Independence Day which is set on July 2-4, so he wasn't just stating that it happened on the 4th.
Major Night Strike

Postby White Moose on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:34 pm

tanjyr wrote:
how is white moose's tournament relevant to the independence day theme at all, other than saying it happened on 4th july? a

You pretty much have to watch the Independence Day movie to appriciate my tournament. As it's based completely on that.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Tupence on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:55 pm

It seems there's been a surge in the voting...only 24 hours left!

Private Tupence

Postby pascalleke on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:38 pm

keep a good soldier happy ..give them a medal 8-[ :geek:
Sergeant pascalleke

Postby Tupence on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 am

Voting has ended and the three winners are:

Highlander Attack
DJ Teflon
White Moose

They will each receive their General Achievement Medal when their tournaments are complete; congratulations to them and to all the entrants for participating!

Private Tupence

Postby Lindax on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Tupence wrote:Voting has ended and the three winners are:

Highlander Attack
DJ Teflon
White Moose

They will each receive their General Achievement Medal when their tournaments are complete; congratulations to them and to all the entrants for participating!

Congratulations guys! =D>

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Re: Tournament Contest: Independence Day! [Winners Announced

Postby amazzony on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:08 am

Thank you, Tupence, for your first contest! Hope to see more of them in the future, with anonymous entries perhaps.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:24 am

amazzony wrote:Thank you, Tupence, for your first contest! Hope to see more of them in the future, with anonymous entries perhaps.

lol, hint hint ;)

prob with that is one of the participants can still ask people to vote for their entry, even if it doesn't say their name next to the entry
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby amazzony on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 am

jrh_cardinal wrote:
amazzony wrote:Thank you, Tupence, for your first contest! Hope to see more of them in the future, with anonymous entries perhaps.

lol, hint hint ;)

prob with that is one of the participants can still ask people to vote for their entry, even if it doesn't say their name next to the entry

No hint, just something that Tournaments could learn from Foundry. Of course, people can ask others to vote for them and I even if entries are anonymous then the style can still be guess but I don't think messaging/asking for votes for certain person is the problem (I need to believe that tournament organisers have more class than that). I'm not going to deny - people vote for their clanmates and friends because this is just the nature of life, not just in tournaments/CC. It's rather that there are more famous people whose name just draws votes even if the tournament isn't as great as some less famous organiser. For example, if I set up a poll asking who is better actor - Anthony Hopkins or Marko Matvere, you would vote for Hopkins without bothering to look up any movie by some random Estonian actor. Again, not saying that anonymous voting makes things fair (life's not fair) but it makes them fairer.

Edit. Forgot to congratulate the winners before. So, congrats to top 3, wish you luck on running and finishing the tournaments!
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Tupence on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'll bear it in mind for the next contest!

Private Tupence

Next

Return to Tournament Archives