History of Nuclear War Series Infocentre

The place for ideas, discussion of tournament related topics, and finding answers to questions about tournaments.

Moderators: Tournament Directors, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:49 am

This is not a sign-up thread!

The History of Nuclear War Series information centre which used to occupy this post has been moved down to Post 2 in this same thread.

(As of now, June 10th) HNW VIII should end within a few days and HNW IX should end, I'm guessing, in about six weeks. It's time, therefore, to start thinking about the Grand Finale.

Preparation for the History of Nuclear War Grand Finale:

Nine players will play in the Grand Finale. It will follow the same format as the regular Finales in the series: Nine simultaneous terminator games on nine maps. Unlike the rest of the series, these games will be 9-player, not 8-player. Each of the nine tournaments in the series will be represented by one player. The Champion of the tournament will have first dibs on representing that tournament. If he is unable or unwilling, then the spot will be offered to the player who came second, if he is unable or unwilling, then the spot will be offered to the player who came third, and so on.

Basic eligibility: In order to play in this Grand Finale, there are some basic requirements:
  • You must be a member of Conquer Club in good standing (not under any bans.)
  • You must be a premium member (nine games simultaneously, speaks for itself.)
  • You must indicate a willingness to play in the Grand Finale sign-up thread (NO, don't go looking for it! I haven't posted it yet! This is just a preview announcement) and select a map.

Choosing maps: The player representing a tournament will choose a map representing that tournament. Obviously, it must be one of the maps that was used. At least I hope it's obvious. If you are representing HNW VIII, you must choose a map from HNW VIII, not VII, even though your favourite map of all time was used in HNW VII.

You can always visit the History of Nuclear War Series InfoCentre for links to all the tournaments to review which maps go with which.

Players who have won more than one tournament in the series (at present, that means Junior Bee, but there are still two tourneys in progress so there might be another name on that list before long) cannot appear more than once in the finale. They (he?) will have to choose which tournament to represent, and will be ineligible to represent the others. However, he will get a special bonus: the right to ix-nay four of the maps used in each of the tournaments that he chooses not to represent.

So, let's work an actual example. Junior Bee won HNW III, IV, and V. He might still win VIII, but let's ignore that for now. In the Grand Finale, Junior decides to represent HNW IV. He is thus ineligible to represent HNW III or V, and the baton in those tournaments is passed to PaRKoN, who was second in HNW III, and Marshallbobby, who was second in HNW V. Marshallbobby has vanished from Conquer Club, so his spot would in turn be passed to Morleyjoe, who was third in HNW V. Junior Bee, as his special perk for the two places he vacates, would get a veto over four maps from III and four maps from V. So, PaRKoN and Morleyjoe would each only have five maps to choose from.

Fog or Sun: If you are representing one of the first three tournaments, you will get to choose fog or sun when you choose a map. If you are representing the all-fog tournaments HNW IV and V, then your map will be played foggy. If you are representing one of the last four tournaments, your map will be played sunny.

In accordance with the Grand Finale Policy, the winner of the Grand Finale will receive a General Achievement medal and not a Tournament Achievement medal.

Will probably be about seven weeks (give or take a couple) before this gets under way, but I wanted to start working out the details and get people thinking about them.
Last edited by Dukasaur on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 133
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

This is not a sign-up thread!

the history of nuclear war series
I first conceived this series in June of 2011. The idea began with DoomYoshi, who was in love with Nuclear Spoils at the time and mentioned to me that there weren't enough good Nuclear tournaments. By a bit of serendipity, I was doing some reading at the time concerning Hahn's and Leitner's experiments, and I formed the idea of doing a grand tournament encompassing the full history of nuclear war from the early experiments to the distant future.

As I gathered maps to go with different parts of the nuclear story, I realized it was just too much to do in one tournament, and so I split it into four. Eventually four became more, and at present the series is expected, including the Grand Finale, to include ten tournaments.

History of Nuclear War I
-- explored the early days of nuclear research, from the discovery of elemental radioactivity in 1896 to the entry of the U.S. into WW II in 1941.
It was first posted on June 25th, 2011, and concluded on May 17th, 2012
Finalists:
Grand Champion: Culs de Sac

History of Nuclear War II
-- focused on the time from the entry of the U.S. into WW II in 1941 until the dropping of nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
First posted November 19, 2011, and concluded on January 3rd, 2013.
Finalists:
Grand Champion: Fuzzy316

History of Nuclear War III
-- covered the history of the Cold War.
First posted March 14th, 2012, and completed on January 16, 2013!
Finalists:
Grand Champion: Junior Bee

History of Nuclear War IV
-- looked at current and future possibilities of nuclear war, now that the Cold War no longer dominates the political scene.
First posted October 02nd, 2012, and completed December 1st 2013.
Finalists:

History of Nuclear War V
-- was a precise clone of History of Nuclear War IV, to accomodate people who had signed up for IV and hadn't gotten in.
First posted November 9th, 2012; completed in December of 2013.
Finalists:

History of Nuclear War VI
-- sunny version of HNW I
First posted November 18th, 2012, completed April 20th, 2014.

Finalists:
Grand Champion: contreras.ale

History of Nuclear War VII
-- sunny version of HNW II
First posted February 02, 2013, completed April 04, 2014.
Finalists:
Grand Champion: GreenBaize

History of Nuclear War VIII
-- sunny version of HNW III
First posted on July 10, 2013, completed on June 16th, 2014.
Finalists:

History of Nuclear War IX
-- sunny version of HNW IV
First posted on July 10, 2013, currently in Final Cataclysm.
Finalists:

History of Nuclear War GF
-- the eventual Grand Finale for the series.
show: preliminary announcement June 10th

show: fog or sun
Last edited by Dukasaur on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:21 am, edited 13 times in total.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Best of 2011 Series Infocentre

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

DK's Best of 2011 Series:
There were a lot of new maps in 2011 that really impressed me, and I wanted to honour them. In this series I use the same 40-35-30-25-20-16-14-12-10-Final8 elimination pattern that I first used in the History of Nuclear War series. The nine maps are always the same, but spoils and other settings vary.
show: The nine maps

DKs Best of 2011 I - No Spoils
-- No Spoils and Foggy -- First posted on January 25th, 2012; completed December 1st, 2013.

Finalists:
  • TheJonah
  • azak848
  • ejph
  • fuzzy316
  • xman5151
  • kiwi3
  • kirilko
  • GreenBaize
.Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: TheJonah

Grand Champion: TheJonah

DKs Best of 2011 II - Flat Rate
-- Flat Rate and Foggy -- First posted on March 12, 2012; complete August 1st 2013.

Finalists:
  • dumhic
  • kiwi3
  • crazy4catnip
  • mr_chopper
  • fuzzy316
  • kizkiz
  • windy81
  • Ciglione
.Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: kizkiz

Grand Champion: Ciglione

DKs Best of 2011 III - Nuclear
-- Nuclear and Foggy -- First posted on May 13, 2012; currently in the Finals.

Finalists:
  • Andypl0ndon
  • Leverpuller
  • antcowan
  • 9trumpet9
  • dumhic
  • runboy59
  • Frito Bandito
  • Kingm
.Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: Kingm

Grand Champion: 9trumpet9

DKs Best of 2011 IV - Escalating
-- Escalating and Foggy -- First posted on August 18, 2012; completed June 2nd, 2013.

Finalists:
  • regan the great
  • Alexlau
  • uckuki
  • azak848
  • Loose Canon
  • Silly Knig-it
  • spartacus65
  • wendall2000
Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: Regan the great

Grand Champion: Regan the great

DKs Best of 2011 V - Randomized
-- Originally scheduled to feature randomized spoils only, I have expanded it to randomize other settings as well, including game types, deployments, forts, and special gameplay settings.
First posted on January 14th, 2013; currently in Phase 7.

I have also been re-examining some of the rules used thus far, and the Randomized tournament will feature a 50-round limit instead of 100, as well as the abolition of the rule used in previous tourneys for replaying games that are won by Map Victory conditions.

DKs Best of 2011 VI - SoC Settings
First posted on March 04, 2013, currently in the Finals.

Finalists:
  • MGSteve
  • theheadholes
  • crazy4catnip
  • Kingm
  • Junior Bee
  • Mr_chopper
  • dwenell
  • aalii
.Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: xxx

Grand Champion: xxx

DKs Best of 2011 VII - DYFS
First posted on May 22nd, 2013, currently in Phase 6.

DKs Best of 2011 VIII - Optimum Settings
First posted on July 29th, 2013, currently in Phase 4.

[url]DKs Best of 2011 Grand Finale[/url]
Last edited by Dukasaur on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 36 times in total.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

DKs Best of 2012 and 2013 series

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

After 2011, the "Best of" series went from 8 tournaments per year to 4 tournaments per year.
show: survey and origins

DKs Best of 2012 I -- Flat Foggy
-- First posted Feb. 12/2013, currently in Phase 9.

DKs Best of 2012 II -- Sunny Nukes
-- First posted March 23/2013, currently in the Finals.

Finalists:
  • Cascades
  • Risk_Averse
  • SirLindsley
  • Iron Maid
  • GreenBaize
  • osman76
  • Junior Bee
  • chidone
.Winner of the GA medal for the most victories in the first eight Phases: General Cod

DKs Best of 2012 III -- Randomized
-- First posted September 7th, 2013, currently in Phase 7.

DKs Best of 2012 IV -- Escalating Fog
-- First posted November 14th, 2013, currently in Phase 8.

DKs Best of 2013 I -- Flat Foggy
-- First posted January 10th, 2014. Currently in Phase 2.

DKs Best of 2013 II -- Randomized
-- First posted April 25th, 2014. Currently in Phase 1.

DKs Best of 2013 III -- Sunny Nukes
-- First posted June 27th, 2014.

[url]DKs Best of 2013 IV -- Escalating Fog[/url]
-- First posted
Last edited by Dukasaur on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Re: History of Nuclear War Series Infocentre

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

reserve
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Re: History of Nuclear War Series Infocentre

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 am

- JVC -
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

DKs CSFR Frag Series Infocentre

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 am

Today I begin a new series based on my original homeland -- Czechoslovakia -- and Oneyed's excellent map of it.
show: map

Each of the 25 tournaments in this series will celebrate some aspect of a different town or city on the map. To avoid favouritism, I have randomized the order of the towns. For more information on this series visit the DKs CSFR Frag series Infocentre.
show: full list of terts on CSFR map
show: list of towns and cities randomized by random dot org

1. Tábor -- featuring Unlimited reinforcements.
    Winner: Geko
  2. Olomouc -- featuring Polymorphic Triples
    Winner: BluU
  3. Prešov -- featuring capital bonuses
    Winner:
  4. Banská Bystrica -- featuring Paratroop Reinforcements
  5. Košice -- featuring the new Slovakia map
  6. Nitra -- featuring Nuclear Spoils
  7. Lučenec -- featuring Flat Rate Spoils
  8. Praha -- featuring Assassin game type
  9. České Budějovice
  10. Pardubice
  11. Liberec -- featuring 1v1
  12. Ústí n/Labem
  13. Poprad -- featuring Fog
  14. Brno -- featuring Polymorphic Doubles game type
  15. Beroun
  16. Karlovy Vary
  17. Kladno
  18. Ostrava -- featuring Manual deployment
  19. Bratislava -- featuring Polymorphic Quads
  20. Jihlava
  21. Hradec Králové -- featuring Doubles game type
  22. Trenčín -- featuring Freestyle
  23. Kúty -- featuring
  24. Žilina
  25. Plzeň -- featuring Escalating spoils
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Return to General Info, Q&A, Discussion