I've played in a number of tournaments, but never organized one, so here's my first (and possibly last ) shot at doing so!
The premise is fairly simple: you'll start off playing 8-player games, the finals will consist of 1v1 games, and you'll play every size in between as you work your way through the rounds. All games will be standard and sequential, with most of them being sunny, with escalating spoils and chained forts. If you reach the finals, you'll have the chance to choose fog, spoils, and fortification settings.
In the early rounds, you'll play a single game; all you have to do to advance is avoid being one of the first two players knocked out of your game. The game sizes will decrease as you get deeper into the tourney. (I have no idea if my description was confusing people, but this should not be a very games-intensive tourney--you'll play only one game at a time before the semifinals.)
In each round, you'll be randomly divided into groups appropriate to the size of that game. In every round before the semifinals, the total number of games played is one less than the number of players per game. In other words, the first round contains seven 8-player games, the next round contains six 7-player games, and so on. Things will change a bit when you hit the semifinals.
Although in most rounds, we're working on a simple elimination system (people knocked out of a game first leave the tourney), do your best to win each game! Those wins will give you an added bonus in the semifinals, as described below.
Here's how the rounds will play out:
- I'll be playing in this tourney--I'm not going to make a tourney with an idea I like and not join it!
- Suggestions for changes are certainly welcome, as I'm sure to forget or screw something up. If I do change something in the tournament, I will give you appropriate notice.
- Freemiums are allowed, as most rounds require only one game at a time.
- No foe lists--if an opponent is on your foe list, you must remove that player.
- Deadbeat your way out of a game, and you will be kicked out of the tournament, even if you lasted long enough to move on before deadbeating. Your spot will be given to the eliminated player who lasted the longest in your game.
- Reserves will (hopefully) only be used to fill games in the first round. A player failing to join a game will be replaced by the eliminated player from their last game who lasted the longest.
- You will have 72 hours to join games once they are sent out.
- Please post game results in this thread or send me the results via PM.