Conquer Club

DKs Intensities in Ten Cities! [Winner=TX AG 90]

Tournaments completed in 2012.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: DKs Intensities in Ten Cities! [Phase 2 - Vancouver]

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 am

Still two active games.

I've begun accumulating the Vancouver scores, but at this point I may as well wait for those last two games before posting.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Vancouver Prelim Scores.jpg

Let me know if you can see this file.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby General Brewsie on Mon May 23, 2011 12:27 pm

By magnifying it greatly it is very blurry, but I can figure out what it says. And I don't understand the terminology.
Lieutenant General Brewsie

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 pm

General Brewsie wrote:By magnifying it greatly it is very blurry, but I can figure out what it says. And I don't understand the terminology.

It's okay, it's only a test. The file is not complete and it contains errors. I was just making sure people could read it before I post the final version.

Edit: actually, it only contains one error. The heading of the last column "Mtl total" should read "Van total"

As to the other terminology, VAN is Vancouver and MTL is Montreal. The first column is player name. The second column is Vancouver Game 1, then game 2, game 3, game 4, in that order. The sixth column is Vancouver C&F bonus, for those who participated in the C&F portion. So far, all the game 1s and game 4s are finished, so those columns are filled in, as is the C&F column. There is still one Vancouver game 2 and one Vancouver game 3 running, so I haven't added those in yet.

The seventh column is the subtotal of all the scores gained in Vancouver -- but don't worry if it's not that high yet, because none of the game 2 or 3s are included yet. So, if you've done well in a game 2 or 3 (the big 8-player escalators) you still have a bunch of points coming.

The 8th column "MTL FADED" is the only one I expect some people will have trouble grokking. This refers back to Rule 4 in the original rules:
4. Points will be imperfectly cumulative. At the beginning of each city stop starting with the second, your cumulative points total will be reduced by one quarter (1/4). Points earned at that stop will then be added, before deciding who is eliminated. Example: on the first city stop, you earned 8 points, which was enough to take you to the second stop. Your 8 points are reduced by one quarter and become 6 points. At the second stop you earn 10 points, and your total is now 16. At the third city stop your 16 points are reduced by one quarter again and become 12, before adding the points earned in the third city. And so on, and so on. Thus, the importance of the early rounds will gradually fade as we move forward. To ease the pain of the fade, all numbers will be rounded up, never down. Thus, 5.25 points will be rounded to 6, not 5.

So you, for instance, earned 11 points in Montreal. This is reduced by one-quarter to 8.25, and rounded up to 9. This is what I call your "faded" Montreal score, which you enter Vancouver with. It will be added to the points you earn in Vancouver to make the last column, "Van total".
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon May 23, 2011 5:06 pm

I never have trouble grokking. I am the grokmaster.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Wed May 25, 2011 9:37 am

Well, we're losing the headholes.

Sent: Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 pm
by Dukasaur
Are you resigning from the Ten Cities tournament also?

Sent: Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 am
by theheadholes
yes unfortunetly - hope it does not screw things up too bad.

To: theheadholes

No problem.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 27, 2011 7:31 pm

The Tour Stats utility remains broken, so I am going to have to add up everybody's kills manually. Lol, this is way I did it for the Montreal games, since at that time I didn't know about Tour Stats. I just discover the damn thing and they go and break it. C'est la vie!
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Vancouver Scores.jpg
Here is the unfiltered list of Vancouver Scores
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Vancouver Results:
Here are the scores from the above spreadsheet, ranked according to score, and annotated:

GreenBaize 27
kiwi3 27
TX AG 90 25
DJENRE 24
mcshanester29 22
Muzzel 22
perchorin 22
arno30 21
DoomYoshi 21
jricart 20
moudy 20
theheadholes 20 (resigned for personal reasons)
wolfpack0530 20
koontz1973 19
macbone 19
razoget999 19
MattiWacklin 18
musteriuz 18
scatt 18
whakamole 18
GregDavidson 17
ckyrias 16
WorldCup4James 16
Faro 15
Fewnix 15
rmjw10 15
Shai 15
shakeycat 15
support81ghent 15

Everyone with 15 points or better (all of the above except headholes) advances to San Francisco.

There are 29 players with 15 points or better, but the departure of theheadholes brings that to 28, so we have two spots left, but 3 people with 14 points:
geko 14
Mekii 14
WolfMist 14
I will make a tiebreaker game right now. Edit:Game 9140752
The first one eliminated will be out and the other two will stay go to San Francisco. I will probably not wait for the tiebreaker to finish, and will start making San Francisco games tomorrow or Sunday, and just slot in the last two players when ready.

Everyone with 13 points or fewer has gotten distracted by the interesting mushrooms growing in the Vancouver area and will be left behind. Sorry guys, we'll miss you. Especially dazza, who always gives me great compliments on my tournaments. If I was inclined to cheat, I would have slipped you an extra point or two...:-)

dazza2008 13
kabuki.mono 13
uk massive 13
mviola 11
DapperDave 10
General Brewsie 10
mickunited333 10
xman5151 7
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby musteriuz on Sat May 28, 2011 4:46 am

Well, in the absence of dazza, I'll do the complimenting for now. I think you are doing a great job on this, quite large and somewhat complicated with the flavouring, tourney thus far. None of us are being left in the dark as to where we're at and what is happening next. Very professional. Should I ever get around to hosting a tourney as I've been intending to for the last 3 years, lol, I'll take a lot of cues from your example.
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Re: DKs Intensities in Ten Cities!

Postby Dukasaur on Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 pm

If you're going to San Francisco, don't forget to put some flowers in your hair! One of the most visually stunning maps on CC, San Francisco promises to be an immersing experience. 30 players will arrive here, but only 24 will leave. The other six will be staring at this beautiful map so long that they will forget to take their turns. Or maybe they will be absorbed into the Krishna Consciousness. In San Fran, anything is possible!

show: games summary

show: San Francisco game 1

show: San Francisco game 2

show: San Francisco game 3

show: San Francisco game 4
Last edited by Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2011 9:12 am

musteriuz wrote:Well, in the absence of dazza, I'll do the complimenting for now. I think you are doing a great job on this, quite large and somewhat complicated with the flavouring, tourney thus far. None of us are being left in the dark as to where we're at and what is happening next. Very professional. Should I ever get around to hosting a tourney as I've been intending to for the last 3 years, lol, I'll take a lot of cues from your example.

Thanks musteriuz, I appreciate it! :P :P
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: DKs Intensities in Ten Cities! [Phase 3 - San Francisco]

Postby razoget999 on Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 am

DK,
I will be travelling and I am not sure I will have access to internet where I go. Hence I will probably miss a lot of turns.
If you can find somebody to replace me, it would be better for the fairness of your tournament.
Really sorry for that.
Regards,
Cook razoget999

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 am

razoget999 has resigned from the tournament on account of his travels. We wish him best of luck wherever he's going!

The good news is that we don't have to wait for the Vancouver tiebreaker to be played out. All three of the 14-point players from Vancouver can advance to San Fran! Now, just so we stick with the random slotting and nobody feels I manipulated the lineups, I have randomized the three fourteen point players:
There were 3 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Mekii
WolfMist
geko

Timestamp: 2011-05-29 16:23:10 UTC

Mekii will therefore be inserted into the slots that were reserved for the winner of the tiebreaker, WolfMist will go into the slots where the 2nd place player would have gone, and geko will take over razoget's slots.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2011 2:08 pm

The C&F task for San Francisco

The C&F task for San Francisco is pretty simple. Post one historical photograph, from any significant event in San Francisco's history, and write a caption for it. That's all. Not 20 photographs, not 10, not 5, not even 3. Just ONE. Can it get any easier?

Please don't violate anyone's copyright. That shouldn't be a difficult thing to manage -- there's tons of stuff in the public domain. Please make sure your caption is written by you.

Extra points will come from the creativity of your caption: you can try to go with humour and make us laugh, or you can try to be educational and teach us something, or you can try some combination of both. But even if you don't score with your caption, you will probably get at least one point for the photo.

There's just SO MUCH to choose from! The Gold Rush (yes, photography had been invented by then!) The construction of the Central Pacific. The labour camps, the opium dens. The 1906 earthquake and the great fire. The construction of the Golden Gate. The WWII convoys, Hunter's Point and Fort Mason. The San Francisco Renaissance and Haight-Ashbury. The Summer of Love, the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane! The Harvey Milk era and the Hostess Twinkie defense. Superbowl XIX. The 1989 earthquake. The blooming of Silicon Valley.

Have fun!

:P
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby dazza2008 on Sun May 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks buddy good tourney. I have really enjoyed this 1 thanks
Corporal dazza2008

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon May 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm sorry miss, but dogs aren't allowed on the Public Transit.

Info: [Dolores is followed by Poncho the dog down a slide in the childrens playground at Golden Gate park]
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby General Brewsie on Mon May 30, 2011 5:53 pm

I can't get this posting area to accept a .jpeg photo. :cry:
Lieutenant General Brewsie

Postby GregDavidson on Mon May 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Image Image
1906 Great San Francisco Earthquake
Last edited by GregDavidson on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private GregDavidson

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

General Brewsie wrote:I can't get this posting area to accept a .jpeg photo. :cry:

It seems this site is very restrictive about what it accepts. Only very tiny jpgs. What most people do is host them on some site like photobucket and just put a link in the actual thread. There's a really good tutorial here: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17807
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm

If you're really unsure about the task:

I've gotten a few PMs from people unsure of what the task is, how to post a pic, etc. Here's a reply I wrote to one of them. I thought it was good enough to post:

Dukasaur wrote:Sorry, it's a bit confusing if you've never done it before. I'll try to give you a step-by-step, since I'm not sure which step you're stuck on.

First thing to do is follow the link that I sent:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=139586&start=225#p3190370 and read the task.

What the task is asking for is to take something from San Francisco's history and post a picture about it. So pick something that interests you. I gave a bunch of examples. So, for instance, you could get a picture from Superbowl XIX which was played in San Francisco, or you could do something about the hippies in Haight-Ashbury, or whatever. So once you pick something, just find a picture about it.

Once you pick a subject, go to Google or your favourite search engine, click "images" and find something. The trouble with this approach is that about 95% of what it will turn up will be copyrighted. There's really no way to prevent someone from stealing images on the Internet, but I'm assuming you want to be honest and not steal an image, so it may take a bit of browsing before you find something you like that is non-copyright.

Another approach is to go to Wikimedia commons, where almost everything is free to use under the GNU public license, and search there. The trouble with that approach is that you will have a lot less to choose from.

This all gets a lot easier if you're into graphics and do it regularly. If you're like me and do this once every five years it's a bit of slugging. People who work with graphics know where to look for public-domain photographs quickly. Perhaps if you know someone like that you could get his advice.

Once you've picked a photograph, you have to post it. If it's a jpg and really small, you can upload it directly into the forum by pressing POSTREPLY and then going to the Upload Attachment tab at the bottom. The recommended method, however, is to host the pic at some place like photobucket.com and just post a link in the thread.

If you're not sure how to post a link, there is an EXCELLENT tutorial at this link here: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17807 That's a good thread to read in any case; it tells you a lot of stuff about how to use the forums, not just about posting pics.

Once you've posted a link to your pic, just add a caption. You can try for humour, or you can try to be educational, or you can try whatever you want.

Humorous example: For instance, if you posted a pic of one of the first Jefferson Airplane shows back when they were just a free-admission jam band, you might write a clever caption that says, "Why bother paying for a laser light show when you can get the audience to bring their own?"

Educational example: Or if you pick a picture from the first opium den raids back in the 1880s, you might write a caption that says, "Did you know that the first salvo in the War on Drugs was fired in San Francisco? Then, as now, the War on Drugs was mainly an excuse to abuse a racial minority, although in the 19th century the target was mainly Orientals rather than blacks."

That's it, you're done. The hardest part is probably hosting the pic, if you don't already have an account at photobucket or some similar site. Might lose a few minutes creating a (free) account, but that's about it. (And I'll be honest -- I have an account there, but it's been more than two years since I used it so coming up with the password might just be a party on the patio for me.)

Actually, I found an even easier solution than trying to recover my lost photobucket password. It seems that Wikipedia Commons now allows hotlinking directly to the material there. I've used this service to create my example submission. (And I believe I've complied with the license requirements; if anybody sees a problem please let me know.)

Super Bowls 16 & 19 Vince Lombardi Trophies at 49ers Family Day 2009 [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by BrokenSphere (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

My caption for this photograph:
San Francisco 49ers Display Their Silver Balls
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby perchorin on Mon May 30, 2011 11:59 pm

1969 Altamont Free Concert...the acid wasn't actually free, it cost a buck!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby Mageplunka69 on Tue May 31, 2011 1:55 pm

http://www.paranormalknowledge.com/wp-c ... tation.jpg
The San Francisco Plantation...but interestingly, The San Francisco Plantation is located in New Orleans, Louisiana
Last edited by Mageplunka69 on Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Mageplunka69

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 31, 2011 1:56 pm

perchorin wrote:Image
1969 Altamont Free Concert...the acid wasn't actually free, it cost a buck!

That's beautiful! Oh, those long-forgotten times....
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 31, 2011 1:58 pm

rbelgrod wrote:Image

Added the [img] tags for you. Now just write your caption.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2012