Conquer Club

TLO 2010 [Winning Team: TOFUkingood]

Tournaments completed in 2011.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: TLO 2010 [Rounds 13/16/23]

Postby Master Fenrir on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm

josko.ri wrote:is the idea for GA medal for going 21-0 in any round accepted?

Are you seriously asking for a GA medal for dicefucking us in Round 15?
General Master Fenrir

Postby josko.ri on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Master Fenrir wrote:

I am asking for GA medal for something that really is great achievement. GA medal is awarded for a lot things that are much easier to achieve than win 21-0 in TLO.
Captain josko.ri

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm

We went 21-0 in TLO II. Certainly didn't ask for a medal, lol (in fact I think we apologised to our oppo, coz let's face it....it's just pure luck to get a run like that).
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Brigadier Chariot of Fire

Postby josko.ri on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:We went 21-0 in TLO II. Certainly didn't ask for a medal, lol (in fact I think we apologised to our oppo, coz let's face it....it's just pure luck to get a run like that).

on that time GA medal didnt exist. well, this tournament would have much more fun than only going to win it if here are some GA medals. then some eliminated teams will still have chance to win something. my suggestion was what I see like the greatest achievement that can be done here in a single round, and I am not talking that no luck for that achievement needed.
Captain josko.ri

Postby Lindax on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 pm

----
Does anybody else have any thoughts/ideas/comments/suggestions about GA Medals for TLO?

Lx

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Rodion on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Lindax wrote:----
Does anybody else have any thoughts/ideas/comments/suggestions about GA Medals for TLO?

Lx

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure whether that was sarcastic or not, but here's one.

"Doing the bare minimum" - team with the most 11x10 wins in the end of the tournament

And, yes, I like to give "names" to general achievement medals. That's what Kongregate does. ;)
General Rodion

Postby Lindax on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Rodion wrote:

Lx

Not sure whether that was sarcastic or not, but here's one.

"Doing the bare minimum" - team with the most 11x10 wins in the end of the tournament

And, yes, I like to give "names" to general achievement medals. That's what Kongregate does. ;)

Thanks! For the record: I was NOT being sarcastic.

I also like "interesting names" for GA Medals.

Lx

Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 am

1. The team with the best overall points differential (if it's not the team that wins overall). Quite feasible. Happened to us in TLO I - most games won & points earned, yet didn't make #1 due to losing one more rubber than the eventual winners.

2. The team that has distributed its gameload the most between its six members (a sort of 'fairness' award)

3. The team with most appropriate name ;-)

Postby danryan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:1. The team with the best overall points differential (if it's not the team that wins overall). Quite feasible. Happened to us in TLO I - most games won & points earned, yet didn't make #1 due to losing one more rubber than the eventual winners.

2. The team that has distributed its gameload the most between its six members (a sort of 'fairness' award)

3. The team with most appropriate name ;-)

I like all of these ideas, I also like the most 11-10 rounds idea. It all depends how "rare" you want to make the GC medal, I suppose.
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby Lindax on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:06 pm

The games for Round 16 have been sent. Please join them before:

Tuesday, March 8, 21:30 hrs. GMT.

If there is a problem with joining the games, please advise me or your Team Captain by PM.

See page 1:
MAIN EVENT

Please give your opponent a chance to look at the map before taking your first turn in the fog-of-war games. ;)

Have fun all,

Lx

Round 16 is now ongoing, thanks again for joining all the games in time.

Lx

Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Lindax on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

----
Ok, we have the following ideas for General Achievement Medals (thanks for those):

1. A team who wins any round 21-0
    Comments: I like the idea, but it would have to be the first team to do this after Round 15.

2. Give one to the poor bastards who didn't manage to win a point :lol:

3. "Doing the bare minimum" - team with the most 11x10 wins in the end of the tournament
    Comments: I like this one very much.

4. The team with the best overall points differential (if it's not the team that wins overall)
    Comments: This is not going to happen. It would be like giving a GA Medal to the losers of the final.

5. The team that has distributed its gameload the most between its six members
    Comments: I understand where you're coming from. However we have various teams with less than 6 members, it wouldn't be fair on them.

6. The team with most appropriate name
    Comments: Great idea, I nominate the team name "Rangers of the North". :P

Ok, suggestion A I will probably use for the next edition of the TLO series.

Suggestion C would be the one we could do this running tournament, however there is one team that has already four 11-10 wins, while the rest has 1 or 2, with another 8 rounds still to play.... Is this going to be fair?

Opinions please!

Lx

Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Commander9 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm

A, C and D all sound fair, but as you've stated yourself, it probably shouldn't be introduced until the next TLO.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby Squirly on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

1. A team who wins any round 21-0
    Comments: I like the idea, but it would have to be the first team to do this after Round 15.
    Sounds OK

2. Give one to the poor bastards who didn't manage to win a point :lol:
    does this team exist?

3. "Doing the bare minimum" - team with the most 11x10 wins in the end of the tournament
    Comments: I like this one very much.
    nah

4. The team with the best overall points differential (if it's not the team that wins overall)
    Comments: This is not going to happen. It would be like giving a GA Medal to the losers of the final.
    I definitely like the idea! The current team w/the most points is not in 1st or 2nd place though
  5. The team that has distributed its gameload the most between its six members
    Comments: I understand where you're coming from. However we have various teams with less than 6 members, it wouldn't be fair on them.
    Sounds OK

6. The team with most appropriate name
    Comments: Great idea, I nominate the team name "Rangers of the North". :P
    Who decides? is this really deserving of a medal?
General Squirly

Postby Ninja Champion on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 pm

The team with the highest points/win ratio, erhm... go empire :P
Colonel Ninja Champion

Postby josko.ri on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Lindax wrote:Ok, suggestion A I will probably use for the next edition of the TLO series.

Suggestion C would be the one we could do this running tournament, however there is one team that has already four 11-10 wins, while the rest has 1 or 2, with another 8 rounds still to play.... Is this going to be fair?

Opinions please!

Lx
[/b]

your opinion about suggestion A is totally unfair. why it would be fair that for suggestion A you validate only rounds after 15, but for suggestion C you validate all rounds? so winning 21-0 in rounds before 15 is less worth than in rounds after 15?

anyway, I very like A&C ideas, but without that after round 15 thing.

also, I dont agree with your argument in suggestion D. it is not like awarding losers in finals, it is awarding team who played the best during entire season, but didnt took their games at right timing. other good thing with that is that some teams with 5 or 6 looses right now but with a lot of points would still be in fight for some achievement. otherwise, they lost any chance for achieve anything in the tournament so it is also question about (non)motivation in playing games for some teams that lost a chance to win any achievement right now.

I dont like F.

about E, it can be similar GA medal. in NBA, it is award "the best 5th player" so we can have "the best of the worse", and it can be player who has the highest winning % among all players who have the lowest winning % in their own team. I think that fact would mean that team is the most balanced, if their the worst player are the best among all others the worse players.
Captain josko.ri

Postby HippieBroker on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 pm

I like A, C and D, but only for next year's TLO. It's too late to start handing out awards for this year IMHO.
Don't like B cause teams out of it could tank on purpose for a medal or to help their buddies who they may be playing.
Don't like E for the reasons you stated.
As for F:
Giving medals for that is like handing out medals for the best avatar or signature (and honestly...who can compete with the Canadian denim elk I'm sporting that duke made for me!?!?! :D
while creativity is good it isn't award worthy is it?? It's about team play and team performance I would think.

Good ideas tho Lindax! Keep up the good work!
Cheers
Colonel HippieBroker

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 pm

D is about the only one worthy of a medal. All the other options were either written as a joke (B), are a result of lopsided dice all at once (A), already have a clear leader (C), cannot be gauged fairly (D), or are too subjective (F) (and even this last one I wrote as a joke in the event we go on and win the tourney).

At least D rewards the team that actually won more points than any other, even if they didn't go on to win the tourney, which in my mind is certainly an achievement (coz it's effectively the best overall record) and is what the medal stands for - an achievement in general.

Postby agonzos on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

I like A & D because they both reward real achievement. I don't see a problem with awarding them in this tourny, since knowing about them sooner would not have changed how anyone played their games. I also don't see why there should be any "15 round" cutoff requirement for either medal.

BTW, great tourny as usual Lindax. It's been fun throughout. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Brigadier agonzos

Postby Chariot of Fire on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 am

agonzos wrote:I like A & D because they both reward real achievement. I don't see a problem with awarding them in this tourny, since knowing about them sooner would not have changed how anyone played their games. I also don't see why there should be any "15 round" cutoff requirement for either medal.

BTW, great tourny as usual Lindax. It's been fun throughout. =D> =D> =D> =D>

I think the Round 15 cut-off is being considered because the player who proposed the GA medal is in a team that's possibly about to go 21-0 in Round 15, thus the award is somewhat retrospective considering some results are already known. On this basis would my team receive a medal too (for also having previously gone 21-0)? I think not.

Master Fenrir wrote:

Postby Kinnison on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 am

First... I don't think ANY of these should be in effect for this edition of TLO, frankly.

By installing them at this late date, there will be strife if you install a cutoff time. there will be strife if you don't. Adding these medals to an existing competition is a recipe for drama of one flavor or another, period.

That said. I like:
A: 21-0 in a round. Yes, there's an element of luck in it. the whole bloody site is a game, it involves good and bad fortune.
C: Most 11v10 rounds. This is cool, but again, fortune based. Why this is NECESSARILY more indicative of "skill" than going 21-0, I don't understand.

Ones that need some work:
D: points differential: I don't see this. Again, it's luck. The team that crushes some weeks, and loses narrowly in others. Again, it MIGHT be indicative of skill.
E: Gameload distribution: only if all teams are REQUIRED to have 6 players. They don't have to PLAY, but they would all have to register 6. It IS a neat idea... but a team could have 6 players, split their gameload, and have no intention of WINNING the league. Unless you restrict this somehow... "the team with the most balanced game load of the top 5 finishers", I don't see this being a good award, and if you DO restrict it, I see problems. Might have to drop this.

No:
B: 0-points: Good for humor value, but not a good suggestion. Once you drop out of contention... throw a week for a GA medal? Someone would.
F: Name: "Appropriate"??? Sorry, i have to consider "team name" to be a frivolous suggestion of a way to get a GA medal.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby Rodion on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 am

Kinnison wrote:First... I don't think ANY of these should be in effect for this edition of TLO, frankly.

By installing them at this late date, there will be strife if you install a cutoff time. there will be strife if you don't. Adding these medals to an existing competition is a recipe for drama of one flavor or another, period.

That said. I like:
A: 21-0 in a round. Yes, there's an element of luck in it. the whole bloody site is a game, it involves good and bad fortune.
C: Most 11v10 rounds. This is cool, but again, fortune based. Why this is NECESSARILY more indicative of "skill" than going 21-0, I don't understand.

Ones that need some work:
D: points differential: I don't see this. Again, it's luck. The team that crushes some weeks, and loses narrowly in others. Again, it MIGHT be indicative of skill.
E: Gameload distribution: only if all teams are REQUIRED to have 6 players. They don't have to PLAY, but they would all have to register 6. It IS a neat idea... but a team could have 6 players, split their gameload, and have no intention of WINNING the league. Unless you restrict this somehow... "the team with the most balanced game load of the top 5 finishers", I don't see this being a good award, and if you DO restrict it, I see problems. Might have to drop this.

No:
B: 0-points: Good for humor value, but not a good suggestion. Once you drop out of contention... throw a week for a GA medal? Someone would.
F: Name: "Appropriate"??? Sorry, i have to consider "team name" to be a frivolous suggestion of a way to get a GA medal.

B and F were jokes.

I agree with everything you said about E.

Unlike you think, D, in my opinion, is the best for indicating skill. Just see who won more out of the 462 possible points. The sample size is really big, so this should be as accurate as it can get when measuring skill.

I like A, but the timing of this discussion is really nasty, as my team is pretty close to getting the 21-0 round 15 win. My opinion is biased, so I won't elaborate on the subject.

C (my suggestion) is by no means an indicative of skill. I just thought it would be a fun idea. :D

EDIT: changed 483 points to 462 - I hadn't considered everyone gets a bye!
Last edited by Rodion on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Rodion

Postby Chariot of Fire on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 am

I think at the end of the tourney, when each team has played 220 games, you can rule out 'luck' for the team that has won the most points.

[post edit - agree with Roddy, who fastposted]

Re: TLO 2010 [Rounds 11/15/23]

Postby slickstick on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 am

Warriors vs. Studs

Singles:
Game 8529235-Warriors
Game 8529249-Studs
Game 8529265-Warriors

Doubles:
Game 8529279-Warriors
Game 8529295-Warriors
Game 8529314-Studs
Game 8529327-Warriors

Triples:
Game 8529342-Studs
Game 8529359-Warriors

Quads:
Game 8529379-Studs

11/10
Sergeant 1st Class slickstick

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:38 am

I will start with saying there cannot be enough medals thrown my side., i am also a medal hunter.
Hell I think every teamcaptain should get one just for all the aggrevation to get their own team organized., or at least i should...lol

All the suggestions from A to E have serious downsides or are just plain unfair. If you want to throw out gimmic throphy, please make sure everybody can get one..
As to naming, there is no better name then Oranje Appels which denoted our deliciousness, our nations favorite colour and the fact that we are hard core (bad teams ;-)) SO you can hand that medal to me now please.. lol

I would not mind seeing medals for teams that did NOT sit for another teammate get a medal. I think that is a dependability medal worth recieving.

So, no to the previousl suggestions for medal, except the naming medal that may go to me....
and 2 new suggestions;
medals for teamcaptains and medals for non sitting teams if any...
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Chariot of Fire on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 am

'hard core' lol. That does deserve a medal

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2011