Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Indian Subcontinent

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Risktaker17 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:54 pm

why is northern india worth less than the blue part, that makes no sense
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Risktaker17 wrote:why is northern india worth less than the blue part, that makes no sense

I don't understand... Northern India is the blue part... :?:
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby edbeard on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:12 pm

I believe he meant Eastern India. And, I agree. I think those bonus amounts should be switched.

The borders inside the map are good now. I don't like what you've done on the outside though.

If anything, the main part of the map should stand out from everything else. It's like something you see on the news. They show you the general region, and the area they are talking about pops up. It's not quite the same, but I think you understand what I'm saying. The main map should be on top!

Right now, it doesn't look good because of the way you've got it setup. The way the land hits the water looks uhh. well just redo it!

The mini map doesn't look good either because it is quite blurry and pixelated. The text in there could also be much bigger. There's plenty of space for it. Remember, this is the LARGE map. You want things to be easily readable.

The legend text isn't as legible it could be. Make that text bigger (You have TONS of space. I don't understand why it was so small in the first place; You've increased it since then but not nearly enough.

I'd recommend getting rid of most of these shadows you have on the map. I don't see why they are there. Shadows on the legend text. Shadows on the army circles. It looks like alien ships are attacking india.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:36 pm

edbeard wrote:I believe he meant Eastern India. And, I agree. I think those bonus amounts should be switched.

The borders inside the map are good now. I don't like what you've done on the outside though.

If anything, the main part of the map should stand out from everything else. It's like something you see on the news. They show you the general region, and the area they are talking about pops up. It's not quite the same, but I think you understand what I'm saying. The main map should be on top!

Right now, it doesn't look good because of the way you've got it setup. The way the land hits the water looks uhh. well just redo it!

The mini map doesn't look good either because it is quite blurry and pixelated. The text in there could also be much bigger. There's plenty of space for it. Remember, this is the LARGE map. You want things to be easily readable.

The legend text isn't as legible it could be. Make that text bigger (You have TONS of space. I don't understand why it was so small in the first place; You've increased it since then but not nearly enough.

I'd recommend getting rid of most of these shadows you have on the map. I don't see why they are there. Shadows on the legend text. Shadows on the army circles. It looks like alien ships are attacking india.

Well, the bonuses went pretty much by the number of border-territories. My mind has been slowly changing about Eastern India though. And I guess Northern India could be +1... I need to think about it.

I think I went a little effect-crazy when I learned about Blending Options... Alien ships! :lol: I do see what you mean, though, I'll try to reduce the shadows.

The mini-map was supposed to look like it was dissolving into the background, but I guess that failed. I'll put it back to normal.

As always, very constructive criticism. Thanks.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Could you see what you can do with the water/land cross over and also the map/background border.

The wrighting is also hard to read.

Also how do you get over the river?
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Could you see what you can do with the water/land cross over and also the map/background border.

I'll try to clean up those borders.

Certain territories that have the river inside them (like Uttar and West Bengal) are just one territory. So if you hold one of those, you can cross the river.

I know that isn't explained well, but I guess it's explained as much as it is obvious. Does anybody have any suggestions to fixing that problem?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby asl80 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 pm

It's going well ink, well done, but sorry i can't help myself ... whenever another india map comes up i have to refer back to a really old thread begun (almost completed) on india but long since abbandoned ...

http://conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8594&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

i'm not suggesting you should necessarily change your path, but just want to throw this in for some ideas you might possibly find as inspiration ...

... i don't know the author (ConformOrDie), but he is long since gone ... so no hope of getting permission for his work exists i don't think.

Just wanted to throw this beautiful bit of work in there ... sorry for the interuption.

Cheers.

(p.s. please don't go post in the thread posted above on account of it's long lost state - pretty sure it's an end of show situation - you might also get the pointed figure of a misplaced "bump" like me, hehehehe)
Lieutenant asl80

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:27 am

It does look good. But it seems like others have done the bumping for you.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby grunion on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 am

InkL0sed wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:Could you see what you can do with the water/land cross over and also the map/background border.

I'll try to clean up those borders.

Certain territories that have the river inside them (like Uttar and West Bengal) are just one territory. So if you hold one of those, you can cross the river.

I know that isn't explained well, but I guess it's explained as much as it is obvious. Does anybody have any suggestions to fixing that problem?
With East India having 2 of the 4 river crossings I would think its strategic importance would merit it more than 1 bonus.
Sergeant 1st Class grunion

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:03 am

Perhaps to fix the ambiguity of the river, put bridges across on split territories?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I have one possible solution that I'm about to show in the next update -- the river looks different in places where it is an actual border. I'm still playing with it to make it look better though.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Version 11:

Changes:
-created two "types", if you will, of river. Hopefully this will help clarify what is a border and what isn't.
-changed army circles
-moved the legend to the water
-enlarged the numbers on the mini-map
-Changed East India to +2

To do:
-better position some of the names of territories
-Southern India in the legend is too light -- so I'll darken it
-Clean up some of the coastal borders
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby grayhawke on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:52 pm

I find the white font hard to read - perhaps a coloured backing, varying by division (?), might help.

Also I'm not sure the two river types work - perhaps a "bridge" or connection of some sort would be clearer.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby owenshooter on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 pm

i like the way this map is looking... is there going to be a bonus if you hold something like 3 call centers for one industry? like computer tech or phone support, etc? that would be cool... all kidding aside, that would be REALLY cool...-0

p.s.-seriously, i like the way the map is looking, and i like the white font.
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 pm

grayhawke wrote:I find the white font hard to read - perhaps a coloured backing, varying by division (?), might help.

Also I'm not sure the two river types work - perhaps a "bridge" or connection of some sort would be clearer.

The problem with a bridge is that I worry it would look like two territories. I'm still not sure what to do about it. This solution seems the best at the moment, but I can certainly be convinced otherwise.

As for the font... I'm not quite sure what it is that makes it hard to see from your comment. But you're probably right that it should be fixed at one point. I seem to have a general problem with text on this map...

owenshooter wrote:i like the way this map is looking... is there going to be a bonus if you hold something like 3 call centers for one industry? like computer tech or phone support, etc? that would be cool... all kidding aside, that would be REALLY cool...-0

Well, I'm not sure if you're actually kidding or not, so I'll just take you seriously.

I'm trying to go for a clean, classic-style map. So I don't like the idea of anything so funky as industry bonuses. Plus, I don't think the map is big enough to support any more bonuses.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 pm

grayhawke wrote:I find the white font hard to read - perhaps a coloured backing, varying by division (?), might help.

The problem with a bridge is that I worry it would look like two territories. I'm still not sure what to do about it. This solution seems the best at the moment, but I can certainly be convinced otherwise.

As for the font... I'm not quite sure what it is that makes it hard to see from your comment. But you're probably right that it should be fixed at one point. I seem to have a general problem with text on this map...

owenshooter wrote:i like the way this map is looking... is there going to be a bonus if you hold something like 3 call centers for one industry? like computer tech or phone support, etc? that would be cool... all kidding aside, that would be REALLY cool...-0

Well, I'm not sure if you're actually kidding or not, so I'll just take you seriously.

I'm trying to go for a clean, classic-style map. So I don't like the idea of anything so funky as industry bonuses. Plus, I don't think the map is big enough to support any more bonuses.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby The Viking on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:38 am

(sorry if this has been mentioned before)

I don't like the army circles =/
Other than that, it's interesting :)
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby bryguy on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 am

i kinda/sorta/maybe (choose one) like the two types of river, maybe something other than bevel & emboss?
Corporal bryguy

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:12 pm

I've been playing around with the army circles and the river, we'll see how it goes next update.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:22 am

Here you go:

Just a note for the future, try to only have the latest image presented on the first post. Im you want to have all your updates present use text links rather than image ones. This makes laoding the first page easier to do. :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 am

Why dis stickied?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:06 am

I didnt unsticky it after moving it :lol:

Thanks for the catch C.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:34 pm

InkLosed...i gotta say this the first time i looked at this map, and the coloours simply "smack" of India. Very bright but also I think very appropriate.
Things i like:
1. The fact that the Ganges runs its proper length
2. the colours reek curry to me - good job
3. the font style

Things i think could be improved:
a. font could be heightened a little more to make it more legible
b. perhaps the not a border river section and the impassable border need better clarification
c. not sure about the black areas on the army shadows...i understand what you are trying to achieve, but perhaps the shadow area is too stark

Other than that i am sure this will be a well appreciated colourful game.
Keep up the great work.

:wink:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:45 pm

some things i dont care for

1 I dont like how the names of some territories overlap into the names of others
b. u dont specify where can attack sri lanka
dos. why does the middle continent have a bonus of 7, and have 7 territories, yet the blue continent (at the bottom) has only a bonus of 3 yet 7 territories??
Corporal bryguy

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Moved, finally! Awesome! \:D/

Gimil -- I've been making the oldest versions text-links, but I guess I'll make all but the new one text now.

Cairns -- Thanks for the compliments! I generally agree with you, and I am in fact working on just those things you mentioned.

Bryguy -- I'm not too sure what you mean. What names overlap? :? And Central Asia is +7 because it has 6 border territories and would be pretty impossible to hold; Southern India has only 3 border territories, and only borders one continent. It also can be held with just 2 territories. I like the +3 it gets.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box