Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Baltic States

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Baltic States

Postby l3eater on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Mod Note: Similar Map developed here --> viewtopic.php?f=241&t=142607

Baltic States

Version 4.5
Click image to enlarge.

Version 4a
Click image to enlarge.

Version 4
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3428 ... 280bc5.jpg
Version 3
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1674/b ... 276do3.jpg
Version 2
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4230 ... es2yk6.jpg
Version 1
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9854 ... es2ye8.jpg

Brief Info on the Baltic States

The Baltic states or Baltic countries are three member states of the European Union : the sovereign states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, located in Northern Europe. The Baltic states became independent in the aftermath of World War I in 1918.

Estonia is the up-most state, Latvia is located in the middle while Lithuania is at the bottom

Map Info

There is a total of:

51 Territories

12 Countries/Thing you take over to get bonus

The 3 stars are representing the three capitals of the Baltic States, which give +1 if hold, also, the three capitals are neutral to begin with

The two island beside Estonia give a +1 bonus

Countries

Estonia

LƤƤne-Viru County: +3
Tartu County: +5
LƤƤne County: +4
Estonian Islands: +2

Latvia

Kurzeme Region: +4
Latgale Region: +2
Vidzeme Region: +4
Zemgale Region: +5

Lithuania

Alytus County: +3
Å iauliai County: +4
Utena County: +3

Other

Riga, Vilnius, Tallinn: +1

Things to Do

* Create a Legend (Done)
* Create the bonuses (Done)
* Add the impassible objects (Done)
* Update the graphic
* Get the idea passed (Sort'd)

I happy to receive any comments on my map. Give me your thoughts on this.
Last edited by l3eater on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:36 am, edited 12 times in total.
Private l3eater

Re: Baltic States

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 pm

I don't know GIMP so cannot help you there. I like the idea. Good to see a new map of part of Europe with more than 50 territories (if only by one). Looks like good potential to me. The gameplay seems good at first glance though it is hard for me to ID the countries. The red line is hard to see at the moment. So far so good...
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 pm

You'll find that around here, people go insane over pixilated borders. Try to smooth them out some, use the 1 or 2 px brush instead of the pencil tool. Good idea, nice use of space, but keep working and post a second draft with some color, better borders, and territory names.
Private RjBeals

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:20 pm

RjBeals wrote:You'll find that around here, people go insane over pixilated borders. Try to smooth them out some, use the 1 or 2 px brush instead of the pencil tool. Good idea, nice use of space, but keep working and post a second draft with some color, better borders, and territory names.

In addition to all that, you'll need a title and a legend with some tentative bonuses.

I like this idea. Good luck developing this!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby l3eater on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks for the comments. I've fixed up the country borders and the territory borders. The 3 symbols are the 3 capitals.I know there are blank spots on it, i'll finish all (or most) of the coloring tomorrow. I hope you like the colors. I'll also start on the impassible areas tomorrow.
Private l3eater

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 pm

STOP !!

You need to learn how to use layers if you want to really make a map. Just coloring overtop and close to the borders will not work. Take some time and learn to use the layers in Gimp. Everything should be on it's own layer. Most maps have over a hundred layers when they are complete. Some hundred's.
Private RjBeals

Postby l3eater on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm

RjBeals wrote:STOP !!

You need to learn how to use layers if you want to really make a map. Just coloring overtop and close to the borders will not work. Take some time and learn to use the layers in Gimp. Everything should be on it's own layer. Most maps have over a hundred layers when they are complete. Some hundred's.

Oh Really! dam, i'll just start again. Thanks very much for that information.

EDIT: I added a new picture of it. I followed your advice. There's around 8-14 layers in it.
Private l3eater

Postby bryguy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:15 am

DOWNSIDE OF THIS POST: dude, this map needs serious help. sorry to say it. the graphix look crappy (sorry again!) and v1.5 looks better than v1.5A, which looks like u had done the original image over again. it would help a little if you considered this just a first draft. And also, first look at this map, and my eyes are screaming for me to close them cause the current colors and such hurt my eyes.

BRIGHTSIDE OF THIS POST: I am very good at GIMP. If you want some help, then I could help you (over pm and time) to get this map better. With a couple of changes, this map can go from horrid to better looking, heres an example of it after i give it a quick makeover:
Corporal bryguy

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 am

Sadly though, I think I prefer l3eater's draft image to yours bryguy. :shock:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby bryguy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:19 am

MrBenn wrote:Sadly though, I think I prefer l3eater's draft image to yours bryguy. :shock:

lol, dont worry im not taking offense or anything, but why? anyways i just chose random colors and didnt spend a lot of time to make it look good, i just wanted to show what it could look like with a couple of changes
Corporal bryguy

Postby l3eater on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:16 pm

bryguy wrote:DOWNSIDE OF THIS POST: dude, this map needs serious help. sorry to say it. the graphix look crappy (sorry again!) and v1.5 looks better than v1.5A, which looks like u had done the original image over again. it would help a little if you considered this just a first draft. And also, first look at this map, and my eyes are screaming for me to close them cause the current colors and such hurt my eyes.

BRIGHTSIDE OF THIS POST: I am very good at GIMP. If you want some help, then I could help you (over pm and time) to get this map better. With a couple of changes, this map can go from horrid to better looking, heres an example of it after i give it a quick makeover:

I really the draft you did for the Baltic States. What did you use to do the sides that are near the ocean?
Private l3eater

Postby bryguy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Ill pm you how I did it :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby l3eater on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:47 pm

How do you people like that new map?
Do the mountains look good?
Can you see the borders?
Should the bonuses be changed?
Can you see the River?
Private l3eater

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:05 pm

While this is an improvement over the last version, I'm gonna quote RjBeals:

RjBeals wrote:STOP !!

I suggest you google "Gimp tutorial" or something like that and mess around until you are comfortable with layers and layer effects. Compare what you have to some of the maps in play. The graphical quality of yours is clearly below what is desired on CC. I think you have a good idea here, you just need to execute it properly.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby seamusk on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:40 pm

you have a potentially excellent map. Obviously, you need to learn graphics OR get assistance but please stick with it.

best,
seamusk
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:37 pm

dude... seriously....
Private RjBeals

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:09 am

Tell me, Are those territories real counties for the states or random lines you drew in? I'f theyre random lines, i think you ought to look up some real places.

Also just watch out for the sizes of the territs now. I've fallen into the trap myself of making the map before finding the army numbers and names won't fit in together. #-o

Anyway, gl with that.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby l3eater on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Balsiefen wrote:Tell me, Are those territories real counties for the states or random lines you drew in? I'f theyre random lines, i think you ought to look up some real places.

Yep, they're all real territories except for a couple since the area i had them in was too small so a combined two territories into one.

I also want someone to do the graphics for me if they would want to give up their free time or at least teach me how to do adequate graphics.
Private l3eater

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 pm

l3eater wrote:I also want someone to do the graphics for me if they would want to give up their free time or at least teach me how to do adequate graphics.

If you really want to make the map yourself, then look at some tutorials and get inspiration from there.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Qwert on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:26 pm

I like your concept,you present map making proces like i do,step by step. :)
Go to Imperium romanum page 1,to see how i work.
Well you can also go to Western Front page 1.

these whas mine first draw of Western front,and your start is good,just go easy and everything will be ok.I dont understand why some people dont have patience with new map makers.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby l3eater on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 pm

How does it look now? much better i hope, the names will be added next and the legend too.
Private l3eater

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:32 pm

It is looking much better!
but still needs a lot of work, I think.
But showing that much improvement from V2 tells me that you will be able to improve even more. Just keep at it.

Right now the picture is kind of choppy and pixelated-looking. It doesn't really "flow" together. I think its because you are still new with GIMP, so that can be fixed.
Like others have suggested, search more and more GIMP tutorials. keep doing that, trying all kinds of tutorials. They will get you using different parts of GIMP, and after a while you will figure out what each part does and you will be able to use them all really well. I'd like to see V4 after this. If it shows as much improvement as V3, you might be getting somewhere.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Qwert on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 pm

very good, for begining,work with colour more,some terittories look blur.
Also i think that you remove mountains and red stars for now,and focus on three aspect-Names-colour of terittories-borders. ;)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:31 pm

l3eater wrote:How does it look now? much better i hope, the names will be added next and the legend too.

Click image to enlarge.

First of all, wow - what an improvement.
You're definately moving along the right track now, although I agree with wca that it still looks a little 'choppy'

It might be helpful if you could post your image here in the thread as well as on the first post in future - it just saves jumping around trying to see the latest version and trying to marry up comments to a particular image.

You're definitely showing the right attitude to development, which is a massive asset this early on, and can only put you in good stead for pushing this map on. I'll be watching with interest...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 am

For a first draft, I don't have any criticisms of this map. The gameplay seems balanced too. Though a few of the "continents bonuses," have the same number of territories in them. I doubt that it will hurt. Seriously, you're off to a great start.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Next

Return to Recycling Box