Conquer Club

GRAPHICS

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

GRAPHICS

Postby sailorseal on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Why do people focus so much on graphics? I really am asking. I do not see why maps with great game play but okay graphics never seem to move...
Cook sailorseal

Re: GRAPHICS

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Because maps need graphics to advance. Eye sores are almost just as unplayable as a map formatted like:
._.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Graphics are the map.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby sailorseal on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:29 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Because maps need graphics to advance. Eye sores are almost just as unplayable as a map formatted like:
._.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Graphics are the map.

I am not talking about terrible graphics just not wonderful graphics but thanks for answering...
Cook sailorseal

Postby samuelc812 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:29 pm

A lot of people will play a map because of the way it looks, regardless of gameplay. If you drew in Paint, 24 Army Circles and called it a map, and quenched it next to nobody would play it, trust me ;)

Over the years this site has set the standard for high quality maps, and i don't think anyone wants that to stop, hence why each and every map goes through a long foundry process ;) If you have good lookin maps you are more likely to get more customer's. People are not paying premium for the production of maps that are done in paint or have mediocre graphics. They want quality and that's what they are given.
Captain samuelc812

Postby sailorseal on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for answering...

a mod can lock this thread now my question was answered, unless someone wants to turn it into a graphics discussion...
Cook sailorseal

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:33 pm

sailorseal wrote:Why do people focus so much on graphics? I really am asking. I do not see why maps with great game play but okay graphics never seem to move...

Why would there be complaints about classic being changed?

Graphics are one of the most important parts of the map... as for "great gameplay"... there is absolutely no way to tell what the strategy will be like and how good the gameplay will be until the map gets quenched. Look as Das Schlob for example...
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby oaktown on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:35 pm

there are many websites at which you can play a similar game to this... what sets CC apart is that the maps here don't look like mud.
Captain oaktown

Postby samuelc812 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm

http://www.strategygamenetwork.com/

Take that site for example ^^

It lets anyone create a map whether in paint or not. They have many crappy maps but it's what they wish to do, so that's their business. If you really want a map published and for people to play on it as fast as you can. That would be the site to publish on, of course they will never have the quality that CC has and their premium is through the roof :shock: And they don't even care about even gameplay :roll:
Captain samuelc812

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Everyone can comment on graphics, so most everyone does. Fewer people can, or want maybe is a better word, to take time looking to game play---it's a simple fact of the Foundry ever since it first started.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kotaro on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:31 am

samuelc812 wrote:A lot of people will play a map because of the way it looks, regardless of gameplay. If you drew in Paint, 24 Army Circles and called it a map, and quenched it next to nobody would play it, trust me ;)

I'd play!
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:43 am

sailorseal wrote:Why do people focus so much on graphics? I really am asking. I do not see why maps with great game play but okay graphics never seem to move...

I think it is because most of the foundry regulars really like the graphics side of things.
DiM is the only person I can think of that specifically developed unique gameplay maps.

Maybe it is also because graphics are, in a sense, easier than gameplay. Gameplay takes quite a while to fully analyze a map and work out how to make the map have interesting gameplay. Graphics, on the other hand, takes about 10 seconds of looking at an image to find something that needs improving.

Aside from that, having good graphics brings more visitors to your thread. Which most likely brings more suggestions and more support, speeding up the mapmaking process.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 am

I actually think that feedback has become more balanced that it used to be. I remeber a time when it was next to impossible to get feedback on the gameplay or a map. Now a days there are more people around who take the time to fully analyis maps gameplay.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby blakebowling on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 pm

gimil wrote:I actually think that feedback has become more balanced that it used to be. I remeber a time when it was next to impossible to get feedback on the gameplay or a map. Now a days there are more people around who take the time to fully analyis maps gameplay.

If only those people would've read the Das Schloss thread ;)
Private blakebowling

Postby sailorseal on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:06 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Everyone can comment on graphics, so most everyone does. Fewer people can, or want maybe is a better word, to take time looking to game play---it's a simple fact of the Foundry ever since it first started.

--Andy

Exactly what I was thinking when I posed this question...

I guess Andy is not just talking bananas! :D
Cook sailorseal

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:13 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Everyone can comment on graphics, so most everyone does. Fewer people can, or want maybe is a better word, to take time looking to game play---it's a simple fact of the Foundry ever since it first started.

There are certainly more folks around who are willing to give feedback about gameplay, as the longer we do this the more folks feel comfortable doing so. But breaking down the gameplay of a map - especially a tricky map like Das Schlos - takes a long time. I can look at a map and decide in 10 seconds if I like the color or not, but it requires a long sitting to decide if I like the gameplay or not.

I passed off the gameplay stamp because I lost the will to look at each and every map for an extended period of time.

Anyway, I think the original question has been answered... was there a point to this thread?
Captain oaktown

Postby sailorseal on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 pm

oaktown wrote:

There are certainly more folks around who are willing to give feedback about gameplay, as the longer we do this the more folks feel comfortable doing so. But breaking down the gameplay of a map - especially a tricky map like Das Schlos - takes a long time. I can look at a map and decide in 10 seconds if I like the color or not, but it requires a long sitting to decide if I like the gameplay or not.

I passed off the gameplay stamp because I lost the will to look at each and every map for an extended period of time.

Anyway, I think the original question has been answered... was there a point to this thread?

Kind of...

I just felt like having a little foundry discussion on graphics...
Cook sailorseal

Return to Foundry Discussions