Conquer Club

ANDORRA [MAP 1.2]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

ANDORRA [MAP 1.2]

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 am

New drop on my project to see a map for each country in europe !!!

This is PRINCIPAT D'ANDORRA

2 more passages added, I think it's enough
Griu to Grau Roig
La Plana to san miquel

MAP 1.2
Click image to enlarge.

new version of the map:
Background changed
Texture added
Shadows added
Blaze textured
And a few others....

MAP 1.2
Click image to enlarge.

Unable to update the thread with the image so classic link for now

MAP 1.1
Click image to enlarge.

Andorra has 7 regions named parishes.
I didn't want a small map like Luxembourg for Andorra.
I decided to make a map with a gameplay similar to ROUTE 66.
If you hold enough points along the pics, you hold the victory!

TERRITORIES
  • 43 territories in total
  • 26 towns / villages
  • 17 Pics
  • also 6 access to mountains (From Riu Madriù, Bixessarri, Pal, El Serrat, Port d'Incles, Port d'Envalira).
  • Road and trail are in orange.

BONUSES
[*]PARISHES = give a +2 bonus except ENCAMP which is +3 because of his splitted territories.
[*]Pics are not part of parishes bonuses.
[*]PICS = Hold 4 in a row for +1, 5 for +2, 6 for +3, etc... Hold 10 for a victory!

:arrow: STARTING POINTS
All 43 territories can be starting points. But a player can hold maximum 14 territs after the drop. That avoid a big starting bonus in singles ;)
  • 2 = 14 territories
  • 3 = 14 territories
  • 4 = 10 territories
  • 5 = 8 territories
  • 6 = 7 territories
  • 7 = 6 territories
  • 8 = 5 territories

show: ALL EUROPE
Last edited by DJENRE on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Re: [NEW] ANDORRA

Postby kengyin on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:37 am

are you sure you have this much time? arent there 47 countries in europe, i think less than half would have maps :-s
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 am

Hey, hey, slow down there buddy :D

You have 2 unfinished maps already... and this is 3rd. My advice is to pick one, run with it until you're in final forge, and then start working on other maps - it will go a lot smoother for the others once you have some experience of the process from your first map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:19 am

kengyin wrote:are you sure you have this much time? arent there 47 countries in europe, i think less than half would have maps :-s

We'll see... one after another and it will be done one day ;)
natty_dread wrote:Hey, hey, slow down there buddy :D

You have 2 unfinished maps already... and this is 3rd. My advice is to pick one, run with it until you're in final forge, and then start working on other maps - it will go a lot smoother for the others once you have some experience of the process from your first map.

I'd like to but look, there are no many feedbacks to keep going on maps... I need differents feedback to see what the people think about each map. Once I know what I have to change I do it quickly but I need to know what to do, and if I have nothing to change on maps already on forum, I start creating new ones. :D
Once I will reach next steps, I will certainly slow down in creating new ones. ;)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:28 am

DJENRE wrote:I'd like to but look, there are no many feedbacks to keep going on maps... I need differents feedback to see what the people think about each map. Once I know what I have to change I do it quickly but I need to know what to do, and if I have nothing to change on maps already on forum, I start creating new ones. :D
Once I will reach next steps, I will certainly slow down in creating new ones. ;)

Look... if you keep making new maps, people will think you're not going to finish old ones and will be discouraged from commenting. It's best to just pick one map and stick to it, at first. We've seen so many promising mapmakers who come in, start a ton of map projects and never finish a single one of them... I'd hate to see that happen to you.

If you're short on feedback, just experiment with your map - do some changes here and there, and they might spark some comments from people...

Postby No Risk No Fun on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 am

I think its a pretty neat idea. I like the clean map design so far, I'm not a fan of cluttered maps. You should probably specify somewhere on the map that the mountains are pics (unless I'm just an idiot). Also, how are the starting positions going to be laid out since the pics are part of the objective and consist of a fairly large portion of the territories?
Sergeant No Risk No Fun

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:34 am

No_Risk_No_Fun wrote:I think its a pretty neat idea. I like the clean map design so far, I'm not a fan of cluttered maps. You should probably specify somewhere on the map that the mountains are pics (unless I'm just an idiot). Also, how are the starting positions going to be laid out since the pics are part of the objective and consist of a fairly large portion of the territories?

Thank you for your comment. Answer about starting points has been added into first post.
Yes, mountains and pics are the same. Do you think I have to specify while I only say pics on map?
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby No Risk No Fun on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 am

Now that I think about it, people like me who don't know what pics are should be able to easily figure it out, since there's territories called "Pic du Port" and "Pic Negre". So I guess it really all depends on whether or not you/other players feel it's necessary. It's probably not a big deal the more I think about it.
Sergeant No Risk No Fun

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:06 am

About your plan...

Is there point in making all the countries of europe just for the sake of having all European countries represented? I fear it would result in several similar maps that play very similarily but look different... If you can think of interesting and varied gameplay for each of these maps, then why not, go for it... but if you're just going to make 20-something copies of Classic with different skins, meh.

About this map:

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary dead ends and chokepoints in this map. I would suggest going for slightly more open gameplay.

I'm also not sure about the line-connections between the territories. Are you sure conventional borders would not work better?

Postby tokle on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:39 pm

The french word pic translates to peak in english.
Would it not be better to use the english word in the legend?
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:54 pm

natty_dread wrote:About your plan...

Is there point in making all the countries of europe just for the sake of having all European countries represented? I fear it would result in several similar maps that play very similarily but look different... If you can think of interesting and varied gameplay for each of these maps, then why not, go for it... but if you're just going to make 20-something copies of Classic with different skins, meh.

Of course I don't plan to do all maps similar, and maybe not to do all maps at all. The list of european countries missed is just a reminder if another cartographer want pick up one.
And you can see that I dropped three map and any of those had a different kind of gameplay, some where good ideas, some not. We keep working, but be sure I don't want just do 20 or more similar map but with different names. ;)

natty_dread wrote:About this map:
There seems to be a lot of unnecessary dead ends and chokepoints in this map. I would suggest going for slightly more open gameplay.
I'm also not sure about the line-connections between the territories. Are you sure conventional borders would not work better?

And that is because I wanted to show a new gameplay (not new actually but similar to route 66) that I put those peaks ;). And lines are actually explained, there are roads, or trail (depending their size and form). I thought about this gameplay and I'm quiet sure it could work perfectly. ;) Don't you think?

tokle wrote:The french word pic translates to peak in english.
Would it not be better to use the english word in the legend?

Yes you're so right. I don't know why I didn't notice that. I'll change it in next draw. TY ;)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I still think you should increase the openness of the map somewhat. Not making it completely open, but a little less chokepoints would be good.

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 am

natty_dread wrote:I still think you should increase the openness of the map somewhat. Not making it completely open, but a little less chokepoints would be good.

What do you mean by choke points? Starting points? territories?
I think I get it. You'would like that each region has mutliple entries instead one from road and one from peaks. That's right?

I could set some trails into the map and not only for peaks.

I will also add shadows everywhere and add texture on that one if you think that could do a workable and playable map.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 am

I mean that mobility of players is constrained in many places.

The mountains help it somewhat, but I'd still like to see a bit more openness. To give the players more options and mobility. When the gameplay is too constrained, it easily results in unbalanced gameplay, and in some cases, stalemates.

The other problem is that you have so many dead-end territories. Worst is Griu, since it's a "2-territory dead-end"... it makes for frustrating eliminations, if your target holds Griu, you need to advance to Les Bons but you can't advance all because you can't get anywhere else from it... you get what I'm saying?

Then you have single-territory dead-ends, like Coloma, La Plana, Grau Roig, etc. These are not as bad as Griu, but I'd like to see less of them, since they are pretty much useless for mobility.

You could start by connecting, for example: Griu to Grau Roig, Bordes or Sant Miquel to La Plana, Calaverdis to Arinsal and Arcalis...

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:06 pm

ok, this is the new version of the map:

Background changed
Texture added
Shadows added
Blaze textured
And a few others....

MAP 1.2
Click image to enlarge.

Unable to update the thread with the image so classic link for now

natty_dread wrote:I mean that mobility of players is constrained in many places.

The mountains help it somewhat, but I'd still like to see a bit more openness. To give the players more options and mobility. When the gameplay is too constrained, it easily results in unbalanced gameplay, and in some cases, stalemates.

The other problem is that you have so many dead-end territories. Worst is Griu, since it's a "2-territory dead-end"... it makes for frustrating eliminations, if your target holds Griu, you need to advance to Les Bons but you can't advance all because you can't get anywhere else from it... you get what I'm saying?

Then you have single-territory dead-ends, like Coloma, La Plana, Grau Roig, etc. These are not as bad as Griu, but I'd like to see less of them, since they are pretty much useless for mobility.

You could start by connecting, for example: Griu to Grau Roig, Bordes or Sant Miquel to La Plana, Calaverdis to Arinsal and Arcalis...

Ok I gonna do that soon. But remember the aim of this map is to hold peaks so we need to see players go quickly on peaks and fight there. ;)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm

For you natty

2 more passages added, I think it's enough
Griu to Grau Roig
La Plana to san miquel

Let me know

MAP 1.2
Click image to enlarge.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Re: ANDORRA [MAP 1.2]

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 am

Looks good!

However, the background is too much in the same "plane" as the land area again... the colours are almost identical. I suggest making the background darker.

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 am

I like your winning condition! =D>

I can't tell, is there any significance to the type of connection? Like most connections between the standard territories are 'fully drawn', while e.g. La Plana <--> Sant Miquel is dotted.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby No Risk No Fun on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:22 pm

DJENRE wrote:PICS = Hold 4 in a row for +1, 5 for +2, 6 for +3, etc... Hold 10 for a victory!

Just a clarifying question:
Does this mean that the pics you're holding have to be connected in order to get the bonus? For example, let's say I held a group of 4 pics on one side of the map, and then another group of 4 pics on the another side. This would in total give me a +2 bonus, correct?

Also for some reason I can't seem to load the map images anymore (only specific to this thread). I tried different browsers and everything. It might just be my computer or something.
Sergeant No Risk No Fun

Postby DJENRE on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:Looks good!

However, the background is too much in the same "plane" as the land area again... the colours are almost identical. I suggest making the background darker.

:lol: Actually I did it darker but I changed it. I will show you the darker one to see if you prefer.

Riskismy wrote:I like your winning condition! =D>

I can't tell, is there any significance to the type of connection? Like most connections between the standard territories are 'fully drawn', while e.g. La Plana <--> Sant Miquel is dotted.

There are two types of road (main and secondary) and two types of trails (acces to mountains, and regular trails beetween two peaks or two territories)

No_Risk_No_Fun wrote:
DJENRE wrote:PICS = Hold 4 in a row for +1, 5 for +2, 6 for +3, etc... Hold 10 for a victory!

Just a clarifying question:
Does this mean that the pics you're holding have to be connected in order to get the bonus? For example, let's say I held a group of 4 pics on one side of the map, and then another group of 4 pics on the another side. This would in total give me a +2 bonus, correct?

Also for some reason I can't seem to load the map images anymore (only specific to this thread). I tried different browsers and everything. It might just be my computer or something.

Yes they have to be all connected. 4+4 doesn't work.

About the upload, I have the same kind of problem. see this thread : http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=506&t=141286&p=3091613#p3091613
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 pm

This is the map with beckground darker
not added in main post as it just a preview
I have to change names colours if we keep that background ;)

MAP 1.2.2
Click image to enlarge.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby Riskismy on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am

DJENRE wrote:There are two types of road (main and secondary) and two types of trails (acces to mountains, and regular trails beetween two peaks or two territories)

I think it makes sense to have the paths connecting the peaks different from those connecting the normal territories, but if they don't 'mean' anything, I think you should change the paths: La Plana <-> Sant Miquel and Griu <-> Grau Roig to look like the other paths between standard territories. The current is confusing. I at least couldn't help but wonder what the idea was there.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby DJENRE on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Riskismy wrote:
DJENRE wrote:There are two types of road (main and secondary) and two types of trails (acces to mountains, and regular trails beetween two peaks or two territories)

I think it makes sense to have the paths connecting the peaks different from those connecting the normal territories, but if they don't 'mean' anything, I think you should change the paths: La Plana <-> Sant Miquel and Griu <-> Grau Roig to look like the other paths between standard territories. The current is confusing. I at least couldn't help but wonder what the idea was there.

Actually it was because it was set on true roads and trails.... real one I mean
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun May 08, 2011 6:18 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas