Conquer Club

World Cities: Moscow Highways [D]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

World Cities: Moscow Highways [D]

Postby ISN2 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Map Name: Moscow Highways

Click image to enlarge.

Game Play: These are the highways of Moscow. The names of those highways are changed to something else just to fit the game-play and bonuses. Players will start normally with territories of 3 armies divided between them. Any circle on on any highway is a territory and is connected to next territories on that highway or connected highways.

Example: GRN 12 Is Connected To > GRN 13, GRN 04, GRN 08, GRN 11, BLE 04
Major ISN2

Re: World Cities: Moscow Highways

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm

It's clear enough to figure what each bonus is, and the concept is different enough from the various Rail maps we've got to let it stand on its own.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: World Cities: Moscow Highways [D]

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Oh, I kept meaning to ask, what is your reasoning behind the color divisions?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ISN2 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Oh, I kept meaning to ask, what is your reasoning behind the color divisions?

If I wanted to use the real name of highways then it would not give me a a nice game play since these highways are all in different directions and there would be like 30 different names, if I wanted to use real names and use colors to identify bonuses then it would be un-clear and hard to play and merging names into each other would be showing wrong info on the map, so I preferred to use some fake names on highways that would fit the game play and balance bonuses as more as I could ...
Major ISN2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 pm

ISN2 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Oh, I kept meaning to ask, what is your reasoning behind the color divisions?

If I wanted to use the real name of highways then it would not give me a a nice game play since these highways are all in different directions and there would be like 30 different names, if I wanted to use real names and use colors to identify bonuses then it would be un-clear and hard to play and merging names into each other would be showing wrong info on the map, so I preferred to use some fake names on highways that would fit the game play and balance bonuses as more as I could ...

Okay, but I meant, how did you determine what territories be what color? I'm trying to understand why you divided up the highways the way you did.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Okay, I really only see one major problem. The green bonus you have at +6. You have 12 territories, with only 4 territories being the necessary to hold to keep the bonus. This will give a player +10 for only 12 territories, which is really unbalanced. In contrast the Blue bonus is +4 with 11 territories and only needing 3 territories to keep it.

My suggestion is to put in a couple of extra roads (yes I know that it won't be totally correct) so that the bonuses will be harder to hold. i.e a road that connects the green and blue outer parts so that you will need to hold more territories to defend. In this way the green bonus may be able to stay at +6, but you need to add more connecting roads. My suggestion would be to connect grn1,6,9,& blue1. Also connect blue 5,10 and orange 1 to make those bonuses harder to hold and to make it a little easier to move around.

Also connect DGR1 with red03.

That's all I have for now, so if you can do these adjustments, I'll take another look at it.

Edit: I forgot to ask. Are you planning on having any stating neutrals, if so can you please place them on the map. Also do you plan on having a winning condition or a losing condition?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ISN2 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Okay, but I meant, how did you determine what territories be what color? I'm trying to understand why you divided up the highways the way you did.

Well deviled them somehow that there be a main hard to hold bonus while there are other bonuses around and the small and big bonuses are in all directions, so no side (like west) with only small or big bonuses.

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, I really only see one major problem. The green bonus you have at +6. You have 12 territories, with only 4 territories being the necessary to hold to keep the bonus. This will give a player +10 for only 12 territories, which is really unbalanced. In contrast the Blue bonus is +4 with 11 territories and only needing 3 territories to keep it.

My suggestion is to put in a couple of extra roads (yes I know that it won't be totally correct) so that the bonuses will be harder to hold. i.e a road that connects the green and blue outer parts so that you will need to hold more territories to defend. In this way the green bonus may be able to stay at +6, but you need to add more connecting roads. My suggestion would be to connect grn1,6,9,& blue1. Also connect blue 5,10 and orange 1 to make those bonuses harder to hold and to make it a little easier to move around.

Also connect DGR1 with red03.

That's all I have for now, so if you can do these adjustments, I'll take another look at it.

Edit: I forgot to ask. Are you planning on having any stating neutrals, if so can you please place them on the map. Also do you plan on having a winning condition or a losing condition?

Here is one with your adjustments:
Click image to enlarge.
Major ISN2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, I really only see one major problem. The green bonus you have at +6. You have 12 territories, with only 4 territories being the necessary to hold to keep the bonus. This will give a player +10 for only 12 territories, which is really unbalanced. In contrast the Blue bonus is +4 with 11 territories and only needing 3 territories to keep it.

Well, what if he just cropped the east and west sides of the map a bit? That would reduce the territory count, and therefore, the territory bonus, for those bonus areas and it wouldn't require any fake roads.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am

I like this.
Major ViperOverLord

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas