Conquer Club

Alternative history 1944 [22/10]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Alternative history 1944 [22/10]

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Map Name:Alternative history 1944
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:TBD
Special Features:TBD
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:No idea, let the community decide.

The Japanese fleet heading for Pearl Harbour is hit by a cyclone and turns back - America does not enter the war. Germany wins the Battle of Britain. D-Day without American support failed. Russia concedes the Eastern front.
Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

To Do list

This started life as an English map in the same vein as the USA map pack. Would of started the others when this one took off but got bored. Started to add more and more and ended up with this. Posting earlier than wanted but though it better to get this out their now than only have one map in the drafting room. ;)

All suggestions and ideas will now be heard. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Alternative history 1944 [15/10]

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Hmmm, I like the idea, but it seems odd with it only focusing on this small area of Britain.

Also doesn't seem like there's too much in the way of bonuses. 7 towns seems kind of steep for a +2 bonus, 5 towns for +1 as well. Any way to get some more bonuses on there?

Are the ships/army bases starting positions? That could possibly help with gaining a bonus, but that all depends as well on how the rest of the board is distributed. Is it a conquest map, where everybody starts with just one terit? Or is everything randomly distributed?
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 am

tkr4lf wrote:Hmmm, I like the idea, but it seems odd with it only focusing on this small area of Britain.

The small are will become apparently why later in development.

Also doesn't seem like there's too much in the way of bonuses. 7 towns seems kind of steep for a +2 bonus, 5 towns for +1 as well. Any way to get some more bonuses on there?

Are the ships/army bases starting positions? That could possibly help with gaining a bonus, but that all depends as well on how the rest of the board is distributed. Is it a conquest map, where everybody starts with just one terit? Or is everything randomly distributed?

As for the rest, not decided on anything yet. Now is the time to let me know your thoughts about this as later on I will become more resistant.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 am

Hmm.

Well, as far as bonuses go, seems like your structure is good, just need to adjust the numbers. I don't know if you want the map to be bonus heavy or light (I'm guessing light, considering what you posted), but for the British I would think one army base + 2-3 towns giving +1 or +2 bonus would be good. As for Germans, one ship + 4-5 towns giving a +2-3 would be good. Just lower the amount of towns needed for each bonus by just a little, and I think that would make it more feasible to actually get a bonus.

I can't really give too many more thoughts about it until I know what type of gameplay you're going for. Classic gameplay, conquest gameplay? And the starting positions...randomly distributed, or everybody starts on an army base/ship and works out from there, with everything else being neutral? How do you want the map to be?
Major tkr4lf

Re: Alternative history 1944 [22/10]

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 am

OK, got the legend fleshed out. Now some serious debate can be had. Sorry it took so long.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Alternative history 1944 [22/10]

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Moved to Map Ideas at the request of the mapmaker.
Captain nolefan5311

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas