Conquer Club

#GCCM The make a map time is upon us.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great Community Map Project. Competition Post 2 Week

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 am

betiko wrote:oh come on large maps!!!!! :)
yesterday it was in the lead, what's up with mid size!!!! :(

Amazing how polls can change overnight. Better get out there and pester your friends to come and vote.

Large maps rule.
show
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gambler21210 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:50 am

betiko sent me here. i want a large map to roll more dice!
Captain gambler21210

Postby qwertylpc on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:52 am

I told myself to choose small maps.

First of all, we need to think of the newer players. They want a smaller, somewhat uncomplex map. Plus for advanced players, they could use a smaller map with more difficult settings such as trench fog and freestyle to maintain an advantage. We don't need huge maps. I would prefer one smaller than 50, which was in 2 categories so I chose the smaller category
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 am

Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby luckywar on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am

I voted for medium. I like on the upper side of the medium range and large maps. Large maps are complex which are great, and I don't enjoy small maps too much - hard to recover from 1st person go, dice, or positioning on those. 60terr maps can still be engaging and an average of the newbs and upper echelon ranked ppl here...a compromise. Besides, small maps can be made at any time by anybody...if you want all this input, let's make a clean, pretty, striking, integrated, and complex map. Otherwise all the input will be lost on a small 20terr map.

also, fantasy as i missed that option. Real maps can always be made.
Last edited by luckywar on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top Score:2896 5.13.08
Highest Place: 48
Title: Top Terminator (Won LB’s Terminator Tourney)
Major luckywar

Postby elronin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 am

I missed the first poll but would have voted fantasy just because I play games to get away from reality. On the second I voted for the largest because I would like to see 10 player games become available.
Sergeant 1st Class elronin

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 am

Just to let all the freemiums out there know, there will be another tourny in signups ready to take freemium members very shortly, run by Jane!

One of us will keep you updated here
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby jeffe333 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 am

I missed the first poll, but would've voted for maps of real places. I'm such a history freak I gotta go with real maps.

And I voted for medium size maps, but I enjoy large maps too. Although they generally are longer games and often require scrolling which can be a pain. Medium maps are a nice balance.
Private jeffe333

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 am

Amazing what banners can do for an event. Well done large maps. Surely the way to go with fantasy.

Live Chat will be running an event for us in the near future.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Something's Coming. Only one more day. Exciting stuff th

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am

Here is this weeks competition for all of you that want a chance of a medal.

For our second competition, we are going to look into the future. :lol:

...............................What Can I Say?
Every map that gets made, a small description needs to be written. This is what was written for Rorke's Drift.
Map Description wrote:January 1879, around 4500 Zulu warriors attacked the tiny outpost of Rorke's Drift. Under the command of Chard and Bromhead, around 130 British and 20 Natal regulars defended the outpost for 2 whole days before relief.

Below, you will find 4 descriptions for 4 different maps at different stages of map making.
You will find the maps in the
drafting room, main foundry and beta map forums. All you need to do is go hunting for which map is being described. Then when you have the four maps, send the names of them to me (koontz1973) via PM.

Map 1
Battle for HIGH GROUND! Auto-deploy bonuses which increase as players conquer higher ground; higher levels bombard lower levels. The summit is the only territory that can kill starting spots.
Map 2
Set of on your travels, exploring the furthest regions. Explore unknown lands with famous explorers. But watch out for monsters swim in the waters.
Map 3
This is a simple map, in some ways similar to route 66, where the win objective is to hold the route. Its based on real life, but I have added a few stations and connections that would/could be built in the future.
Map 4
This map incorporates resource collection (4 weapons), build-a-bonus (Capitals), auto-deploy territories, gameplay from standard CC maps, and continues the series style including two "free-for-all" regions.

show: rules

Good luck and have fun. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby c c on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am

mint -murray invited me and i voted for small map just because im new at all this map stuff and don't want to get in over my head
Sergeant 1st Class c c

Postby Silly Knig-it on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am

I voted for medium because I like games that don't take forever but are not too short. To quote Goldilocks, "That was just right".
Lieutenant Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am

Silly Knig-it wrote:I voted for medium because I like games that don't take forever but are not too short. To quote Goldilocks, "That was just right".

Goldilocks was a skinny girl. A little extra porridge would not of killed her. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Voted for a large map. I couldn't find the thread I posted in to see if anyone replied. But again, I am in favor for a fantasy themed, "semi-standard" BR map. That is definitely on my wishlist
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:Voted for a large map. I couldn't find the thread I posted in to see if anyone replied. But again, I am in favor for a fantasy themed, "semi-standard" BR map. That is definitely on my wishlist

That is this thread. And it will be fantasy. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Swifte on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Count me amongst those who voted for large! more room for our creativity to run wild! Love a good quads game on a big map, and would love to see another added to the collection.
Colonel Swifte

Postby TJBartlemus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 pm

I voted for Big Map. Having larger team battles, while longer and more time consuming, are in the end much more fun in comparison to smaller games. (In my opinion.)
Cadet TJBartlemus

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

TJBartlemus wrote:I voted for Big Map. Having larger team battles, while longer and more time consuming, are in the end much more fun in comparison to smaller games. (In my opinion.)

Swifte wrote:Count me amongst those who voted for large! more room for our creativity to run wild! Love a good quads game on a big map, and would love to see another added to the collection.

Just think of the 12 player games we could get soon. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ask me2 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Fantasy is way more interesting and you can have much better game play as well as new ideas in it! Fantasy voted!
Major ask me2

Postby Eddygp on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
TJBartlemus wrote:I voted for Big Map. Having larger team battles, while longer and more time consuming, are in the end much more fun in comparison to smaller games. (In my opinion.)

Swifte wrote:Count me amongst those who voted for large! more room for our creativity to run wild! Love a good quads game on a big map, and would love to see another added to the collection.

Just think of the 12 player games we could get soon. ;)

Exactly. Large map 3-quads, 6-dubs, 5-dubs, 4-trips or 3-trips would be awesome! I am waiting for a 4-triples game in The Hive... must be incredible.
This image is a sofilorry.
Private Eddygp

Postby Leehar on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm

voted for medium, since large are terrible for 1v1's since they're based on drop & first turn, while small is equally dependent on dice & luck. Medium at least allows some element of skill for victory
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Armandolas on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Are maps 2 and 4 for real?????
Im struggling to find them...is that a possibility that they might be in Melting Pot?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby mint-murray on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Armandolas wrote:Are maps 2 and 4 for real?????
Im struggling to find them...is that a possibility that they might be in Melting Pot?

They're there 1 was a bitch to find though
Major mint-murray

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

I voted medium.

I believe a map should fit on one screen, so you can get a basic strategic overview in one glance.

Scrolling up and down and trying to memorize what you saw at the top of the map and integrate it with what you saw at the bottom of the map is just a pain in the ass.

I play a lot of Random map games, and when I get ambushed with some nightmarish piece of shit like Hive or Antarctica or FN Americas, it really makes me want to just hit the forfeit button. Except there isn't a forfeit button, and you have to play the damn nightmare out to the bitter end, deploying on 28 million different terts until you have carpal tunnel syndrome, hiring a secretary to keep track of your terts, and generally feeling like it's work and not play.

There's too many big maps already. None of them are fun, all of them are just tedious, painstaking work to get through a "game" on.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Dukasaur wrote:...
Scrolling up and down and trying to memorize what you saw at the top of the map and integrate it with what you saw at the bottom of the map is just a pain in the ass.

...when I get ambushed with some nightmarish piece of shit like Hive or Antarctica or FN Americas, it really makes me want to just hit the forfeit button. Except there isn't a forfeit button, and you have to play the damn nightmare out to the bitter end, deploying on 28 million different terts until you have carpal tunnel syndrome, hiring a secretary to keep track of your terts, and generally feeling like it's work and not play...

Exactly how I feel
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions