Conquer Club

Sub-Forum Organization & Other Things!

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sub-Forum Organization & Other Things!

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello Hello Foundry Members,

As you all know during Lack’s last update we spruced up the forum with many needed sub-forums. And here in the Foundry we got our share: the Map Ideas forum and the Final Forge forum. The sub-forums are a part of our plan to restructure and organize the Foundry even more. So, let’s get into it, shall we!

The Map Ideas forum will be place where all new map ideas, new maps, and REVAMPS start. A map will start in this ‘Heating’ phase. When map production starts we will be looking for a few things:
    a. the map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go. Most of the time, this is pretty self-explanatory for basic maps, but as we are stepping into realms all the time in the Foundry with more and more complicated maps, it’s best to find a plan and make it work early, rather than trying to find one mid-way through production.

b. the map must have a working image (either of the small or large map). This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state. I.E. the working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image. We’d like to see at least two graphical updates while the map spends it’s time in this early stage of the Map Ideas forum. And from the ‘How to Make a Map Thread’ the image must follow these guidelines:

Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field).

A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful.

Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. In the event that no response is given by the Copyright holders, the map can still be made, but must consist of completely original artwork.

Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions (eventually) of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

c. the map (or the post) must also include a few basic things for easy reference such as: number of countries currently on the map, the number of continents, descriptions of any unique features or areas, and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

d. the map must have some honest and interested discussion. If no one seems to support your idea or it lacks much appeal, it most likely won’t make it to the next stage.
Once a map has met these early guidelines it will be moved out of ‘Heating’ stage into the next and main stage of development into the Foundry.

And in the main Foundry forum the process will stay relatively normal. All maps will need to create good working images of both the large and the small maps (following the guidelines of course). Each map will go through the Foundry Process as they have been (I.E. comments/suggestions/advice/criticisms/etc). Once the Foundry Process is starting to slow and dwindle, if all guidelines have been met, it will be ‘Final Forged’ and moved into the next, and last, stage of development in the Final Forge forum.

And in the Final Forge forum all maps will need to work out the XML code needed for the map. If the map has army shadows for the coordinates, all coordinates must be centralized and accurate. The cartographer must check and make sure there aren’t any errors in the XML (I.E. missing/broken borders, incorrect bonus values, etc). The map will undergo any last suggestions and changes. Once everything has been finalized maps will need to supply text links to both the large and the small maps, along with a text link to the XML. Once the map is finished, it is then Quenched and awaits addition to the site for live play (barring any Lack vetoes). And that is the end of the line.

Or is it? If a Quenched map up for live play has any kinks, bugs, errors of any kind, the cartographer will be asked to fix the problems pointed out. Once everything is fixed and in normal working order, make sure to post text links to latest versions of the maps (if it was graphical) or the XML (if it dealt with the code). Then I can get Lack to get the proper and fixed version up for live play, and the map can live happily ever-after. At least for now. :)

All Quenched maps will remain in the Final Forge forum as a record of production. It also allows everyone to comment on new live play maps easier, and also suggestions or any older maps. Maps that were put up for live play before the ‘Quenching’ system was in place are marked [Done] rather than [Quenched].

=======

But wait, there’s more!

We will be closing down the old *Map Ideas* thread. It has served it’s time, and was a great idea by Jota. Unfortunately it has devolved into more of a garbage heap rather than a helpful aid. We will lock the thread and move it to the Map Ideas forum, and start anew with a brand new sticky. You may retrieve the text or link images of any ideas from the old thread and post them in the new. This thread will be for ideas you’d like to see as a map or in a map, but don’t have the time/care/talent to make. It will follow the old thread’s original outline with a few tweaks. When you make a new idea post in the new thread you must follow these guidelines for it to be added and cataloged on the first page:
Idea Name

Description: <Here will be the description of the idea (via text or image link).>

Why? <Why you’d like to see this idea as a map or in a map>

Pretty simple, eh? It’ll make cataloging everything much easier and make this thread perhaps of actual use to budding cartographers looking for an idea to pursue, or for old veterans looking for a new and interesting idea to try next. I hope this adds a little more organization to all countless ideas we received in the Foundry. And remember, keep them coming!

======

But wait, there’s more!

For now, the main Foundry forum will be the place to discuss the “How To’s” of map making. I will make a new post/perhaps add to the map making tools thread, the great tips and guidelines cartographers have for one another (I.E. how to make army coordinates, how to centralize army coordinates, how to <insert topic>, etc). I’d really like not to add another sub-forum to the Foundry, as I think we are nearing the limit of *too many*, but if this grows and grows it may become its own sub-forum in time. But for now, let’s try this!

======

Alright, so I think that’s it. The growth of the Foundry is astounding and exciting. Every time I see a great new map in production, it always makes me feel terrific (much like a delicious banana does). So lets get back to cartography and world domination! Remember, smile, be happy, and eat a banana. :) ;)

But wait, there’s more! See Keyogi’s post.

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 pm

I would just like to take this opportunity to inform everyone I'm taking a little CC vacation. I've been a bit busy with life stuff recently and have not had the commitment to the Map Foundry that I would've like. I have to prioritise my time, and unfortunately I've been negleting other things in my life to squeeze in CC duties. So, I'll just be around for a few more days to tie up loose ends and then I'll be taking a month off to get things sorted and come back with a fresh mind and hopefully more time to commit to CC and the Map Foundry.

Andy's going to hate me for this, but can people please forward all their poll removal requests and other foundry business to Andy while I'm away. :P
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:48 pm

man that's a lot of reading. :shock:

edit// done reading. and found the below quote a little strange:

and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

besides the fact i find it strange to forbid dashes brackets or quotes, i see a dash in the given example even though dashes are forbiden. :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

You've read me wrong Dim, I just said 'no use of brackets, USE the others', :)

The brackets I'd like to make [Official] things, such as Final Forge, etc.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:59 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:You've read me wrong Dim, I just said 'no use of brackets, USE the others', :)

The brackets I'd like to make [Official] things, such as Final Forge, etc.

--Andy

sorry for the missunderstanding. it's 5AM and i'm really tired. :?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:17 am

Lots of reading...yes Dim...but good structure Andy. Best wishes for the new processes.
C U when get back Keyogi...have a good break! :D
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 am

now keyogi goes on holiday don't we need anather foundry mod? *blink* *blink*

[edit]
and i think there are still to less mods, some things are waiting and never replayed ;) (things for mods)
[/edit]
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Guiscard on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 am

KEYOGI wrote:I would just like to take this opportunity to inform everyone I'm taking a little CC vacation. I've been a bit busy with life stuff recently and have not had the commitment to the Map Foundry that I would've like. I have to prioritise my time, and unfortunately I've been negleting other things in my life to squeeze in CC duties. So, I'll just be around for a few more days to tie up loose ends and then I'll be taking a month off to get things sorted and come back with a fresh mind and hopefully more time to commit to CC and the Map Foundry.

Andy's going to hate me for this, but can people please forward all their poll removal requests and other foundry business to Andy while I'm away. :P

Pussy :D

Other than that, good stuff! Nice to see some clear guidelines without getting to specific and niggly.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Well, I'm officially signing off for the last time in a while. I will see you all in about a months time. I can't imagine how much things will change in such a short period of time. Good luck to all the cartographers, and don't give Andy a hard time while I'm gone. :wink:

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Well, I'm back from my shortened vacation so any poll removal requests and so on can be PM'd to me again. :)

Postby lanyards on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:55 pm

Welcome back KEYOGI. Did you have fun? :)

--lanyards
Last edited by lanyards on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:32 am

KEYOGI i miss your old avator =( i dont recogniser it you posting anymore lol
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Return to Foundry Discussions