Conquer Club

Singapore v15

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Singapore v15

Postby jleonnn on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click on the links(the images above are not very clear, these are clearer:
small: http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/Madmanmomomama/untitled-17.jpg

The map consists of 39 territories.
bonuses:
West Coast GRC (5)
Hong Kah GRC (5)
Sembawang GRC (3)
Bukit Timah GRC (3)
Ang Mo Kio GRC (4)
Tanjong Pagar GRC (3)
Jalan Besar GRC (1)
East Coast GRC (2)
Pasir Ris GRC (1)
punggol GRC (1)
Toa-Payoh GRC (2)
show: Older Versions

This is just a draft. I will label the territs soon. I'm developing two maps at a time so plz be pateint.

What do you guys think? Any changes needed?
Last edited by jleonnn on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Major jleonnn

Re: Singapore v1

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am

Ah, we need a singapore map.

Your terr. names tend to be too close to the borders.

You've got that funny white line between the terr. color and border. What software program are you using? If its photoshop i don't know jack about GIMP) then you should be able to make the whole bonus region a color and set the border layer above it, rather than coloring each territory.

I don't really like the use of the colors. Personally, I like to see a map of an area reflect the colors of the nation, like in the new Germany map. I think it makes the map look more like it has the national character of the state it depicts that way, whereas right now it looks like some random island.

Could you put the tip of the Malay pennisula in there? Just to put the island in context. I don't know if there is much room though.

Best of luck with this map, I really want to see a Singapore map on CC! I'll give more feedback as the updates come.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby targetman377 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 pm

i like the idea there is only 3 bounes and they are all large that is a clever idea will make for an intreasting game play. as for the graphics color in the lines better, pick new clolors like helix said
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby jleonnn on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 am

k,will do. The singaporean flag only has white and red though.
Major jleonnn

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 am

jleonnn, there was another player start a Singapore map some time back, it's in Dead Projects
viewtopic.php?f=242&t=14723&start=120
i've PMed him to see if he still plans to follow through, but don't know if i will get a reply as he hasn't been active for a couple of months. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby jleonnn on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:42 am

He's online now. Weird
Major jleonnn

Re: Singapore v2

Postby haoala on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 am

hey jleonnn do you wanna continue work where i've left? i am perfectly willing to give you the resources and help you with the development of a S'pore map. It's all in PSD format; do you have photoshop?

I play conquer club but only have 1-2 games running at once. I'm a busy student and am busier than I was 2 years back. Yes my map is 2 and a half years old since conception!
Gain the upper hand
Lieutenant haoala

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:34 am

Hi jleonn,

some quick suggestions:

• You should make the land bigger, maybe removing the two pics in the corners and move to another place the title. If i'm not wrong increasing land and island will leave you the bottom right corner free for legend and title ;)
  • less regions? now zones are hard to take and hold.
  • add names for regions (it's important and required)
  • Island bonus is only +2 for me. +4 seems too big for a zone with only 3 regions and 2 borders. For the other bonuses i'll leave more comments with the next update.
  • try to add something to increase singapore feeling (a texture for the background, etc)
  • If you want to use some pics, try to increase trasparency or they will be stickied on your map ;)
  • Use thinner borders for regions, it will be more easy to distinguish regions borders and zone borders. In this way you'll able to use softer color for zones ;)

some useful ( :?: ) links:
http://www.parliament.gov.sg/AboutUs/images/ConsMapNew.jpg
http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/b/b9/Singapore-overview.png/800px-Singapore-overview.png
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby jleonnn on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:21 am

thnx
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:27 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Hi jleonn,

some quick suggestions:

• You should make the land bigger, maybe removing the two pics in the corners and move to another place the title. If i'm not wrong increasing land and island will leave you the bottom right corner free for legend and title ;)
  • less regions? now zones are hard to take and hold.
  • add names for regions (it's important and required)
  • Island bonus is only +2 for me. +4 seems too big for a zone with only 3 regions and 2 borders. For the other bonuses i'll leave more comments with the next update.
  • try to add something to increase singapore feeling (a texture for the background, etc)
  • If you want to use some pics, try to increase trasparency or they will be stickied on your map ;)
  • Use thinner borders for regions, it will be more easy to distinguish regions borders and zone borders. In this way you'll able to use softer color for zones ;)

some useful ( :?: ) links:
http://www.parliament.gov.sg/AboutUs/images/ConsMapNew.jpg
http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/b/b9/Singapore-overview.png/800px-Singapore-overview.png

I got it from a picture so if I reduce territs, I don't know what to name 'em. I beg your understanding.
Major jleonnn

Re: Singapore v3

Postby Beko the Great on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 am

Hello! There is here a lot of things to do. Though, I support your idea. A Singapore map would be a nice thing to see in Conquer Club :)

First, change those awful colors!
The borders are a lot doodled...
What program are you using?

Now, about gameplay, I'm strongly against that huge "continents", I'd rather like to see, smaller areas with easier bonus so that gameplay was based on continents and not in territory bonus. Believe me, huge "continents" like that would only mean NO continents at all, since no one would gather easily one of them...

Now a personal idea, I'd rather like to see a historical map of Singapore instead of a nowadays map. Wasn't Singapore an important port in the XVII century? Bring those navigators, the spices and the pearls to this map and I'll play this Singapore historical map! :D

Cheers! And good luck with the work ;)
Major Beko the Great

Postby jleonnn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 am

thnx. But gotta hit the hay now. An exam tomorrow. Last major one. I'll be free for about 12 hours tomorrow; anything I want! :D
Major jleonnn

Postby Beko the Great on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Good luck with that pal!

I found something you might find intersting :-k

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet ... e-Indian-S
Major Beko the Great

Postby jleonnn on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 am

thnx. I couldn't find any singapore maps
Major jleonnn

Re: Singapore v4

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Back again with some other suggestions and critics:

• Your map is 640x400, the limit size for the small version is 630x600. You have to reduce your map a bit, but try to NOT reduce the playable part, cut only the unused space. Then you can increase the height of your map to fit better the legend and the text.
  • Borders, try to draw different borders for zones and for regions.Usually the borders of the zones are thick and the borders of the regions are thin. If you are using gimp, try the path tool Image
  • With the path tool you can create dashed lines that you can use to draw the sea routes (tuas-iurong island, for example)
  • The flags of Malaysia don't look so good :| Do you really need them?
  • You have to add some impassables, there are too many borders, some zones are very hard to hold, too hard.
  • For bonuses use a continent bonus spreadsheet but remember to increase a bit the result of the bonuses in the middle of your map, like your green one.
  • Sentosa, link it with Bukit Merah instead of Queenstown, more realistic and you can add Sentosa to the orange zone because now it hasn't a real purpose.

Nobodies ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby jleonnn on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:45 am

thnx. I'll get on it
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:45 am

To I had no idea what to do with the continent bonus spreadsheet. Tech words... never understood them
Major jleonnn

Re: Singapore v5

Postby jleonnn on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:33 am

Should I put the singapore flag layer below or above everything?
Major jleonnn

Postby haoala on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:17 am

Great job so far
You spelt northern islands and sembawang (in the legend) wrongly. And jurong island really isn't linked to tuas. check the map. I would rather that pulau ubin link to pasir ris than changi since you take a boat from pasir ris park

Is it possible to put the flag under the land so it is visible only where there is water?

sentosa is a territory right? It isn't very clear but that should be ok once there are numbers on the map.
Make the borders between territories more visible it's very hard to see in dark areas like west coast, jln besar and Punggol.

Extend Jurong West such that tuas and Western Water catchment don't meet so that it's easier to hold hong kah

Don't make a 4-way attack possible at geyland, hougang, bedok and toa payoh. Make 2 of them link completely, cutting of the other 2.

According to the continent bonus spreadsheet the bonuses should be as follows:
West Coast: 7
Hong Kah 8
Sembawang 4
Bukit Timah 4
AMK 6
Tanjong Pagar 6
Jln Besar 5
East Coast 3
Punggol 3

But you don't really think that Bt Timah deserves 4 for 2 territories do you? As a result you can either make it much easier to get or just merge it with another continent.

Similarly, sembawang doesn't deserve 4 and Punggol 3. In fact, many of the suggested bonuses are too high because there are too many borders. Create gaps with rivers etc. Just too hard to hold continents.
Gain the upper hand
Lieutenant haoala

Postby jleonnn on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 am

I didn't make the borders more visible, but I changed the colour of the continent
Major jleonnn

Postby haoala on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 am

isn't malaysia a little closer?
Gain the upper hand
Lieutenant haoala

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 am

Nice changes to the graphics! But I have a few crits that might help.

The Impassables, they look like rivers, are they? If they are they can blend a little better into the sea cause right now they look a little too much like giant blue lines. If they're mountains, you might want to consider adding some mountain graphics in.

The big version is a little blurry and pixelated. You probably have to redo the words and maybe some of the borders. It's a bit easier to work in just the big picture by itself and then scale down when you go for a graphics stamp once you know that everything is good for the small version.

The bonus regions can be merged, I think, unless you're intentionally going for many small terr. bonus regions for a more unique gameplay. The only problem I see is that you're going to have trouble pushing this map through gameplay with a two terr. bonus as its too easy to land. You can start one of the terrs. neutral though if you don't want to change it.

What's GRC mean?

The Northern Islands... google maps tells me its just one island but it also tells me that you're missing some place called Pulau Tekong, a group of islands to the south. If you're going to do a map of Singapore, I think its best to do the whole country rather than the section you have. Unless you know somehting about Pulau Tekong that I don't and omitted it for a reason. Sentosa is two islands correct?

The brown borders seem inconsistent in their surrounding of the bonus regions, for example Green.

I see you've used White text and black text to show up better on the different backgrounds, but I think consistency with text might work better. Try adding a little glow or something behind the black text to get it to show up on certain colors which are difficult.

All abbreviated names have to have what the abbreviation stands for on the map.

Anyway, i need to get ready and go to work, ect. Nice improvement of the map, I'll keep checking for updates!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby jleonnn on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

I just shrinked the large one. I have no idea how to sharpen it
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:23 am

done some of the updates
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:31 am

haoala wrote:isn't malaysia a little closer?

Map is not drawn to scale. I don't know exactly how close is malaysia though, sorry.
Major jleonnn

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas