Conquer Club

Conquer Club Olympics 2015

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Olympics 2015

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 pm

eddie2 wrote:
WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:And more importantly Mystica Dkmaster is profiting from this system.

Well i can see it turning into a problem. People will not take on the game loads to be cheated out of medals, lol i been behind this event but dont think i will anymore.

Bit late now, the tournaments are all closed!

A lot of auto-tourneys and events are run with score resets between rounds such that you have to beat your opponents in every round to advance. From my minimal experience, not having score resets is very much the exception for events.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby eddie2 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Lol just looked. My trademarking infringement i qualify as well even though i lost my 2 of my 3 games in round 2. Grrrr. Will proberly end up playing the same opponanr again lol
Captain eddie2

Postby dkmaster on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Some of you seems to think that high score in first round gives you an advantage if you end up with same score in round 2. That is not correct as they use auto tournament rules which is

Ties in Score shall be broken by the following rules, applied in order:

* Percentage of wins in the tournament as a whole
*The cumulative number of Game rounds required to win the games they have won in the tournament (since the last point reset, or the start of the tournament if no point reset has occurred). Note: winning in less rounds is better.
* The order in which the player joined the tournament (first player to join wins)

And the rules apply to us all. Sometimes its a pro and sometimes its a con. Like eddie just discovered :)

In this one

https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php? ... nt_id=3226

it was a pro for me reaching the semifinale but getting all the way to the finale wont be easy now with eddie and keefies points from earlier rounds :)

These tournaments are not in bracket style so all games count all the way as Wing mentioned.
Brigadier dkmaster

Postby eddie2 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:33 pm

dkmaster wrote:
it was a pro for me reaching the semifinale but getting all the way to the finale wont be easy now with eddie and keefies points from earlier rounds :)

These tournaments are not in bracket style so all games count all the way as Wing mentioned.

We are not slagging you off. There should of been a point reset in 1 v 1 events.take this event. I win first 3 rounds 4 of the 5. Other person win 3 of 5. I joined before them, then whats the point of the final. The doodle and arms race ones fair enough.

Ps wing just looked. Looks like dk only in 4 events still. I personally am in 5 medal stages :mrgreen: . with 2 going into 2nd round. And 2 waiting for the unfair to see if i get in.
Captain eddie2

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Dont worry Ffraid is doing reasonably in a few tournaments as well.

Big question is whether any Mystica or F&D can win a platinum medal. I think both myself and DK are out of those, not sure about Ffraid.

In fairness, even if we dont win, we've put in a strong effort given how few players we've had in these tourneys.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby eddie2 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:47 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:Dont worry Ffraid is doing reasonably in a few tournaments as well.

Big question is whether any Mystica or F&D can win a platinum medal. I think both myself and DK are out of those, not sure about Ffraid.

In fairness, even if we dont win, we've put in a strong effort given how few players we've had in these tourneys.

Lol where is the we from mystica lol. Mystica 24 points. Dk 20 points. Not much of a clan effort is it. Dont think platinum will matter. Is only 5 more than gold. Will go by the ribbons. We are up there because we made a effort. Mind you we still have 2 or 3fad members in platinum events :mrgreen:
But we will see how it plays out lol.

Would be nice to have quick links to all active events. So we can cheer on.
Captain eddie2

Postby dkmaster on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm

eddie2 wrote:
dkmaster wrote:
Ps wing just looked. Looks like dk only in 4 events still. I personally am in 5 medal stages :mrgreen: . with 2 going into 2nd round. And 2 waiting for the unfair to see if i get in.

Actually still in 7 events only 2 of them in medal stage though :D

And one of them platinum but only won 3/5 and used too many rounds doing it. So way down the list and wont survive next round unless I win big and in a few rounds :)
Brigadier dkmaster

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:27 pm

dkmaster wrote:
eddie2 wrote:
dkmaster wrote:

Actually still in 7 events only 2 of them in medal stage though :D

And one of them platinum but only won 3/5 and used too many rounds doing it. So way down the list and wont survive next round unless I win big and in a few rounds :)

Plus it appears my call to arms had some effect and we have a fair few other members in contention for medals, with 6 or 7 ribbons to come from closing ceremonies!
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby eddie2 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Nice, just looked it was a fad member who knocked wing out of closing ceremony lol. Ffraid is in there still as well. Lol check fads stats. I have 3 ribbons myself still collect :D
Captain eddie2

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:
eddie2 wrote:Lol seems there is a massive glitch and it goes by games won lost. You and benga were both on 4 of 6. But you proberly had the 4/6 when benga had a 4/4 or a 4/5 putting you out. Do agree it is mad that you win a 1 v 1 but get eliminated.

And wheelchair no fair. Dkmaster is the one we are all trying to beat. So he will win a medal, for being eliminated. :o

Its not a glitch. There is no score resets, so performance during the early rounds is important. Consistency is the key to these Olympic tourneys and not winning a one off.

This.

shoop76 wrote:
eddie2 wrote:Lol seems there is a massive glitch and it goes by games won lost. You and benga were both on 4 of 6. But you proberly had the 4/6 when benga had a 4/4 or a 4/5 putting you out. Do agree it is mad that you win a 1 v 1 but get eliminated.

And wheelchair no fair. Dkmaster is the one we are all trying to beat. So he will win a medal, for being eliminated. :o

Correct, not a glitch, but just poorly constructed. As far as I can remember these same things occurred in the previous condition. Hopefully we can learn from this and make improvements if there is another installment next year.

Agreed.

eddie2 wrote:Yes but because they won the first round with a higher no than you they were positioned above u. And yes i totally disagree with this. But at the end of it who do we complain to. This has been set up as a auto tourney so knowbody will want to take ownership of correcting things like this.

The ownership is not secret. I am in charge of this event, bigWham put it together, and the tourneys were originally designed by DoomYoshi for the 2014 CC Olympics.

In 2014 the autotourney engine was still new and many mistakes were made. The 1v1 tourneys were actually intended to be bracket tourneys, with score resets between rounds, but due to misunderstandings in the emails when Doom was doing the design and BW was doing the coding, the score resets never happened.

There were complaints about this in the 2014 version. We were supposed to completely overhaul these events before the 2015 Olympics, but nobody had time. So, with the deadline racing at us like a freight train and nobody having time to work on it, bigWham just cut-and-paste the 2014 tourneys and re-ran them all with very few changes except for bug fixes.

I was supposed to be reviewing these tournaments and fixing the designs, but I simply ran out of time. I got called back to work at my winter job a lot earlier than I expected, and instead of easing in to it, I was working 11, 12, 13 hour days right from the opening bell. Meanwhile, I had tons of unfinished business here online, and I'm sorry, but I simply made the decision to pretty much ignore the Olympics and try to save my own tourneys and projects closer to my heart like the Great War. I really let you all down, but there's nothing else I really could have done. There's only so many hours in a day.

BigWham was busy with the Tribes release in the weeks leading up to the Olympics, and really didn't have time to do it either. Running this site and its myriad issues is a mammoth task at the best of times, but he too had some serious pressures in R/L that diverted his attention. I'm not allowed to publicize the details, but basically the size of BW's family increased during the week the Olympics launched, and the resulting drama kept him from paying attention at the critical time.

DoomYoshi was planning to give me some input on these tourneys, but he too was overwhelmed by his job. While for me it was the starting-up rush at my winter job, for Doom it was the finishing-off rush at his summer job. So the review he was planning to help me with never happened.

Anyway, the ship has been on autopilot for the most part. There's been nobody at the helm. That's just life on a volunteer-driven site. The people who could have changed these events from their 2014 versions were all distracted by a combination of heavy responsibilities in R/L and too many responsibilities online. All in all, I'm actually surprised that the event has gone off reasonably well. I think it's a real credit to the robustness of the autotournament system that even when all the organisers are completely distracted the event continues on course. Having the bracket-style tourneys be actual brackets might have been preferable, but actually it's not a tragedy to have the winner chosen by total wins. It's just different from what we're used to.

Anyway, if there is a 2016 Olympics, there will be a major review before then. Meanwhile, I thank you all for playing, I hope you had fun, and I apologise if anyone felt their experience was less than optimal. I hope that your good times during this event outweighed the bad.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby eddie2 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:12 am

Thankyou duk.

We all know real life takes over everything. At the end this is just a game lol. One thing i will ask for. Players that were wrongly ejected in the 1 v 1 tourneys of a medal place will you be issueing them a extra point if they dont make the 11 point part. I think it only fair on them. Especially if they are on 10 points. :mrgreen:
Captain eddie2

Postby Keefie on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for taking time to post that explanation Duk :)
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gigi_b on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Just found out what has been a main discussion for the last few days: that points don't reset between rounds, even though the tournaments are all 1 vs 1 matches (so appear to be elimination games).

A really bad conceptual decision here, sorry to say! And not just because I've won both of my rounds in the 2 tournaments and I will face elimination, but objectively you account for nothing by this system of advancing.
Either you reward "luck" while lowering the influence of the "strategy" factor and you reset scores between rounds. Or you can say "ok this is a chance game, how do I differentiate players?" and if you mean to obtain "personal merit", you'd have rounds where everyone has the chance to play as many games as possible to be able to distinguish the strategy from just luck .

The current settings don't account for anything. It is just that if you don't have at least a win by 4 in any of the 2 initial rounds you face elimination.

And for the (basically) "we didn't have time" argument above. Well...it raises the question: Why did "you" do it then? :)) And by "you" means the guy(s) that are in charge of this site, not referring to you in particular. From your post I get the feeling that you've just did the best you could do with something that was besides your ability to modify/improve.

of-topic:/ I actually had no idea that this is an entirely community supported site. Up till now I always thought it was a business behind it, judging from the annual/monthly subscriptions, credits and the likes paid with money. So while in this case I would imagine your above post as being quite enough, as a reasonable explanation (so ok, one of the guys who's devoting HIS extra time making it a nice game-experience for me, didn't have the time/means to improve the glitch and decided to copy/paste some old buggy stuff...it's fine, we're all reasonable people here..well at least me on this issue :D), can you see how wrong it would be to say that from a "client"'s perspective? :)
Cadet gigi_b

Postby eddie2 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:31 pm

dkmaster wrote:

Lol you can thank wannabe1again for my high score. Even got a extra 1 (which i should of lost) but he decides to smash 9 singles( with 20) leaving me my bonuses instead of a 3 region and smashing all my bonuses. This gonna be easy. Hopefully the next round is me via keefie (keefie having 10 wins) and i beat him 3 v 2. Then it will secure me keefie in the final lol. With a 12 v 12 point card
Captain eddie2

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 pm

eddie2 wrote:
dkmaster wrote:

Lol you can thank wannabe1again for my high score. Even got a extra 1 (which i should of lost) but he decides to smash 9 singles( with 20) leaving me my bonuses instead of a 3 region and smashing all my bonuses. This gonna be easy. Hopefully the next round is me via keefie (keefie having 10 wins) and i beat him 3 v 2. Then it will secure me keefie in the final lol. With a 12 v 12 point card

Careful now, with that kind of attitude I will be watching to make sure that you actually fight each other rather than fix the games! :D
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby eddie2 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Lol are you calling me a cheat now. I just predicted what i would like to happen. And think keefie perfect 10/10 scoresheet me 9\10 scoresheet and one of my fav maps. Anybody would say will be a close battle which it will be. Lol
Captain eddie2

Postby dkmaster on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:15 pm

No problem. I will just take down a 5-0 and get 12 points as well :D
Brigadier dkmaster

Postby eddie2 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:08 pm

dkmaster wrote:No problem. I will just take down a 5-0 and get 12 points as well :D

Lol me and keefie joined before you.
Captain eddie2

Postby dkmaster on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

They count the number of rounds we had in our winning games first.

It is only if the number of rounds are equal they look at who joined first.
Brigadier dkmaster

Postby shoop76 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:50 am

dkmaster wrote:They count the number of rounds we had in our winning games first.

It is only if the number of rounds are equal they look at who joined first.

Is there any way you can see who joined first?
Captain shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby eddie2 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 am

Lol and keefie gets start in all 5
Captain eddie2

Postby Keefie on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am

eddie2 wrote:Lol and keefie gets start in all 5

and I'll need every advantage that I can get.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Silly Knig-it on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I would still like to know how to find scores for players not in the top twenty????
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby eddie2 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:33 pm

You don't. Or you search cc olympics player name and add it up
Captain eddie2

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:19 am

Thanks for the answer.

Really bogus on the part of cc.
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser