Conquer Club

XML Modifications and Variations

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:38 am

I like it...

I think it has been asked for before - under the guise of "autodeploy continents"...

I.e. a continent has an optional parameter that you can set to where those reinforcements get deployed too...

C.

PS - note do not confuse this with allowing any choice - as that would mean you would have to have multiple stages for deployment...
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm

<positions>
<position>
<territory start="1">Kirby</territory>
<territory start="1">K1</territory>
<territory start="1">Bahnhof</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="2">Jones</territory>
<territory start="2">K2</territory>
<territory start="2">Pvt. Karl</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="3">Smith</territory>
<territory start="3">K3</territory>
<territory start="3">Hpt. Vim</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="4">Neal</territory>
<territory start="4">K4</territory>
<territory start="4">Pvt. Dax</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="5">Mills</territory>
<territory start="5">Obl. Hans</territory>
<territory start="5">Tower</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="6">Neal</territory>
<territory start="6">Guard Parade</territory>
<territory start="6">Pvt. Wes</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="7">Yves</territory>
<territory start="7">Grd. In</territory>
<territory start="7">Pvt. Max</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory start="8">Casey</territory>
<territory start="8">Grd. Out</territory>
<territory start="8">Pvt. Dax</territory>
</position>
</positions>

C....is the starting xml code that i need to continue on with Das Schloss map where i want an even distribution? obviously i would have to create a more even distribution than what i have here so that noone has too much of an advantage.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm

The numbers after "start" is the amount of armies starting on each territoriy...

Not the "ID of start"...

The starts are grouped by the fact that they are within a <position> tag.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm

yeti_c wrote:The numbers after "start" is the amount of armies starting on each territoriy...

Understand this bit

Not the "ID of start"...
The starts are grouped by the fact that they are within a <position> tag.
C.

So this means that i need 8 sets of position tags with

<position> <!-- Start player 1-->
<territory start="3">Kirby</territory>
<territory start="3">K1</territory>
<territory start="3">Bahnhof</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 2-->
<territory start="3">Jones</territory>
<territory start="3">K2</territory>
<territory start="3">Pvt. Karl</territory>
</position>
etc. through to 8th player ?
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Correct - although if you want 3 on each - then you don't need the start="3" but - as it will default to 3...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:Correct - although if you want 3 on each - then you don't need the start="3" but - as it will default to 3...

C.

Kewl...thanks so much for that clarifiaction. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 pm

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Correct - although if you want 3 on each - then you don't need the start="3" but - as it will default to 3...

C.

Kewl...thanks so much for that clarifiaction. :)

No worries.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Tieryn on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 am

Okay, not sure if this has been suggested so here goes...

I'd like to be able to slightly skew the angle of the armies on the map... Rather than having them direct flat, maybe only 5 or 10 degrees either way, but I'm making a map at the moment where it would -look- better with the armies angled.

This could be added to the coordinates section.

<smallx>
etc
<largey>
<inclination>-10 or 10<inclination> (degrees from up)
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Re: XML Modifications and Variations

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Suggestion Idea: Team deploy areas.

Description: This would be a feature that would make it so you can specify where people are deployed for a given game. something like <2p doubles> tag, and then a <team1> tag, and then list all of the countries that team 1 can start on. basically, it would be used to make it so a team can all start together in the same area. An example is the Trench Warfare idea. You set it so team1 will start controlling all the trenches on one side of the map, and team2 controls all the trenches on the other side. then the teams have to cross the "no-mans land" in the middle to reach the opponent's team.

Why It Should Be Considered: Right now, if you set deploy for one person, it does the same for all the other people, no matter what the settings are. This would check for the game type (doubles, triples, etc) and would have different parameters for where to deploy people based on the number of teams. It could be a great help to many of the war maps. Instead of giving players a scrambled startup (current system. every place is random), it would make it so a team deploys randomly, but only on X, Y , and Z territories. Each team could control a given area right at the start of the game, making it so teams can actually play the battle more realistically, each team controlling the same areas that the armies did in the actual battle.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:34 pm

Suggestion Idea: Ability to Self-Destroy or remove complete armies from a tert

Description: If there is gameplay or if you don't wish to continue occupting a tert for whatever reason, then i think you should be able to completely withdraw from that terts and it would change to neutral, or you could kill off your own armies to destroy it by bomardment.

Why It Should Be Considered:
I think it would be realistic to be able to withdraw from terts completely without giving advantage to the other players, or without losing penalties on a tert so designed.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:47 pm

cairnswk wrote:Suggestion Idea: Ability to Self-Destroy or remove complete armies from a tert

Description: If there is gameplay or if you don't wish to continue occupting a tert for whatever reason, then i think you should be able to completely withdraw from that terts and it would change to neutral, or you could kill off your own armies to destroy it by bomardment.

I think it would be realistic to be able to withdraw from terts completely without giving advantage to the other players, or without losing penalties on a tert so designed.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

Just to confirm - I think that this should only be a "per territory" feature... i.e. Certain territories can do this. - I guess the way to do this - would be to allow a fortification of *all* the troops to another territory.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:50 pm

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Suggestion Idea: Ability to Self-Destroy or remove complete armies from a tert

Lack Label (Mod Use):

Just to confirm - I think that this should only be a "per territory" feature... i.e. Certain territories can do this. - I guess the way to do this - would be to allow a fortification of *all* the troops to another territory.

C.

Agreed.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Suggestion Idea: Bonus Reductors

Description: Kind of the reverse of killer neutral, or maybe an extension of it....a tert could be something like a killer neutral and if it doesn't get kept alive with troops, it would reduce everyone's bonus numbers by -1 each turn for every player still live.

Absolute killer of an idea with a sadistic twist. It would throw another dimension into gameplay.

Lack Label (Mod Use):[/quote]
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Suggestions Idea: Super Killer Neutrals

Description: The current killer neutrals annihilate a player's armies only at the beginning of that player's turn. Add another option that has killer neutrals annihilate all player's armies at the beginning of any player's turn.

Why it is needed: No Man's Land in Trench Warfare wouldn't be that realistic. Aside from that, it could work as a "level playing field" that each player has to approach the same way each turn, with a team player UNABLE TO CREATE a massive blockade to benefit his partner(s).

Lack Label (Mod use):
Last edited by TaCktiX on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby bryguy on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:51 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Suggestions Idea: Super Killer Neutrals

Description: The current killer neutrals annihilate a player's armies only at the beginning of that player's turn. Add another option that has killer neutrals annihilate all player's armies at the beginning of any player's turn.

Why it is needed: No Man's Land in Trench Warfare wouldn't be that realistic. Aside from that, it could work as a "level playing field" that each player has to approach the same way each turn, with a team player creating a massive blockade to benefit his partner(s).

thats what killer neutrals do.... they kill that persons guys on that territory
Corporal bryguy

Postby yeti_c on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:55 pm

bryguy wrote:

Why it is needed: No Man's Land in Trench Warfare wouldn't be that realistic. Aside from that, it could work as a "level playing field" that each player has to approach the same way each turn, with a team player creating a massive blockade to benefit his partner(s).

No it doesn't...

Killer Neutrals only change at the beginning of the owners turn...

This changes ALL neutrals at the beginning of ANY turn.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby bryguy on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:58 pm

yeti_c wrote:
bryguy wrote:

No it doesn't...

Killer Neutrals only change at the beginning of the owners turn...

This changes ALL neutrals at the beginning of ANY turn.

C.

OH i misread it then...
Corporal bryguy

Postby Herakilla on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:02 pm

i still think that killer neutrals should happen at the end of the turn so you dont get a full round of turns to see them in fog
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby edbeard on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 pm

Suggestion Idea: Required Components

Description: Currently when XML is coded, you can have a continent that is a bonus based on holding any X number of components. Well, it would be that much better if you could make required components so that one needs to hold specific components as part of the X required components.

EG:

<continent>
<name>Alaska and Friends</name>
<bonus>3</bonus>
<components>
<territory>Alaska</territory>
<territory>Brazil</territory>
<territory>Iceland</territory>
<territory>Madgascar</territory>
<territory>Greenland</territory>
</components>
<required>3</required>
<requiredcomponents>
<component>Alaska</component>
</requiredcomponents>
</continent>

Makes the XML that much shorter instead of having to code extra continents. It will also shorten logs.

Currently when you want to code a bonus where you must hold a specific territory and X of Y other territories, you have to code a continent of bonus 0 where you have a requirement of holding X of those Y territories and another continent overriding that to give the bonus. It lengthens the XML and the logs. Especially so when in maps like Supermax (soon to be in Final Forge) where there is an increasing amount of these type of continents.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Lieutenant edbeard

Re:

Postby yeti_c on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 am

edbeard wrote:Suggestion Idea: Required Components

Description: Currently when XML is coded, you can have a continent that is a bonus based on holding any X number of components. Well, it would be that much better if you could make required components so that one needs to hold specific components as part of the X required components.

EG:
Code: Select all
<continent>
<name>Alaska and Friends</name>
<bonus>3</bonus>
<components>
<territory>Alaska</territory>
<territory>Brazil</territory>
<territory>Iceland</territory>
<territory>Madgascar</territory>
<territory>Greenland</territory>
</components>
<required>3</required>
<requiredcomponents>
<component>Alaska</component>
</requiredcomponents>
</continent>

Makes the XML that much shorter instead of having to code extra continents. It will also shorten logs.

Currently when you want to code a bonus where you must hold a specific territory and X of Y other territories, you have to code a continent of bonus 0 where you have a requirement of holding X of those Y territories and another continent overriding that to give the bonus. It lengthens the XML and the logs. Especially so when in maps like Supermax (soon to be in Final Forge) where there is an increasing amount of these type of continents.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

I mentioned this before as necessary for the Iraq and Supermax XML's - until I came up with the "subcontinent" idea... which supports this method - and a whole lot more... so I can't see this happening - as you can do all of that with the current code as is.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re:

Postby yeti_c on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 am

Suggestion Idea: Tweak to Killer Neutrasl

Description: At the moment you can have
<neutral>2</neutral>
or
<neutral killer="yes">5</neutral>

The Maze Craze map requires this to be tweaked slightly... could we change to?
<neutral killer="5">2</neutral>
So the neutral initialises with 2 but when captured it returns to 5.

Why It Should Be Considered: More flexibility - cooler maps. (See Maze Craze)

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Re:

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 am

yeti_c wrote:The Maze Craze map requires this to be tweaked slightly... could we change to?
<neutral killer="5">2</neutral>
So the neutral initialises with 2 but when captured it returns to 5.

Ouch!...that's vicious. :twisted:
Private cairnswk

Re:

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:44 pm

MrBenn wrote:Suggestion Idea: Conditional Autodeploy

Description: If you hold a group of territories, then get a bonus autodeployed onto a particular territory.

Why it should be considered:
1. This is a logical expansion/variant of the current autodeploy.
2. Would add some realism - you'd need to hold a 'source' territory to get your reinforcements...
3. You would be able to have things like a 'Training Camp' which would autodeploy when you hold a 'Recruiting Officer' and a 'Village', for example.
4. You could have a 'Parachutist Regiment' that would autodeploy if you hold the 'Transport Aircraft'
5. Or gameplay could be formulated with the bonusses being deployed only onto central capital cities - or only to remote frontiers...
6. I'm convinced that this has been suggested before
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Re:

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Suggestion Idea: Variable turn limit for objective completition

Description: right now if you hold the objective for 1 turn you win, it would be nice if you could set the exact number of turns you need to hold the objective

Why it should be considered: it will allow a lot of nice gameplay gimmicks
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: XML Modifications and Variations

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 am

Suggestion Idea: Upgrading Killer Neutrals

Description: Right now the killer neutrals start out say 3, then revert to 3, im suggesting a code so that they can start out 3, then each time conquered go up a certain number more than what it was just at. so like if it goes up 2 each time conquered, it would go like, 3, 5, 7, 9, and so on so forth

Why It Should Be Considered: It would allow a very interesting gimick

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Corporal bryguy

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions