Conquer Club

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [14.8] V23-P16 GP Cond Borders?

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

So cairns, how do you feel about putting a last call out there for GP input so we can get this stamped and moved up?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:So cairns, how do you feel about putting a last call out there for GP input so we can get this stamped and moved up?

No...not yet...i don't know if ian has finished looking at everything...and are there any conditional borders that can be done?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:52 am

let santa marta have n2 to prevent ss bazana from being bombarded so easily by doncella.

there's a shield on cygnet, but v2 is on frida.

the border between tf(a) and tf(b) needs to be made clearer. it's very faint.

i've no more gameplay issues.

there's no need, in the upper treasury legend, to say that earnings are cumulative. auto-deploys, by their nature, cannot be non-cumulative. u're better off using that space to say that earnings are auto-deploy, since this fact is hidden away at the bottom.

in the lower treasury legend, each player can move one-way outward (not up) to earn additional auto-deploy bonuses or can assault from any treasury region to same player's command vessel is clearer than what u have. additional because every monarch starts with +1 auto-deploy, a fact which isn't explicitly stated elsewhere.

lose the part in the legend about assaults being 1 in any direction. no map needs to say this, since it's in the rules.

the conditional border text might read a player may use a command vessel region to assault any commander's monarch region, but only if one region of that commander's command vessel is held. i presume that a command vessel can assault any commander's monarch region, including his own.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:01 pm

iancanton wrote:let santa marta have n2 to prevent ss bazana from being bombarded so easily by doncella.
Done!

there's a shield on cygnet, but v2 is on frida.
Fixed!

the border between tf(a) and tf(b) needs to be made clearer. it's very faint.
Fixed!

i've no more gameplay issues.
Thank-you for the marvellous job you've done on this ian. =D> =D>

there's no need, in the upper treasury legend, to say that earnings are cumulative. auto-deploys, by their nature, cannot be non-cumulative. u're better off using that space to say that earnings are auto-deploy, since this fact is hidden away at the bottom.
Done.

in the lower treasury legend, each player can move one-way outward (not up) to earn additional auto-deploy bonuses or can assault from any treasury region to same player's command vessel is clearer than what u have. additional because every monarch starts with +1 auto-deploy, a fact which isn't explicitly stated elsewhere.
Done!

lose the part in the legend about assaults being 1 in any direction. no map needs to say this, since it's in the rules.
Done!

the conditional border text might read a player may use a command vessel region to assault any commander's monarch region, but only if one region of that commander's command vessel is held. i presume that a command vessel can assault any commander's monarch region, including his own.

mmm. i'll keep this in mind if i have sapce to fill...it's very wordy.
Thanks ian :)
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [20.8] V24-P16 GP Cond Borders?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Version 24...fron changes above

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby pamoa on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:38 am

as I love nitpicking :lol: I noticed some labelling hesitations

3rd bonus label should be "Command Vessel" instead of "Command Ship"

Treasury movement legend says twice "to same player's Command Vessel"

for me there is a contradiction or better to say a duplicate when you explain
in Command Vessels legend "Bow and Stern can assault ... any Commander's Monarch"
and in Conditional Borders "Any Monarch can be assaulted only if holding one region of the same Monarch's Command Vessel"
what I suggest is a fusion
you don't need to say it is a conditional border if your legend explains clearly the conditions
and I would avoid the term region speaking of a part of a Vessel
so here is my proposition
"Bow and Stern can assault each other & adjacent ships"
"Bow or Stern can assault any Monarch's Commander only if holding Bow or Stern of the same Monarch's Commander

and also for the beauty of the text
instead of Losing Condition I would say
"Commander's deposition : any Player failing to hold one non-Treasury region and one Treasury region or Monarch's Commander, will be removed from the game"

and... :?
no that's all your doing great =D>
for now :lol:
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm

pamoa...my monitor has gone down and am using a back-up CTX old version...so as soon as i get my new monitor i'll have a look at those things above.
Private cairnswk

Postby pamoa on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:44 am

cairnswk wrote:pamoa...my monitor has gone down and am using a back-up CTX old version...so as soon as i get my new monitor i'll have a look at those things above.
no hurry your doing great
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby iancanton on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm

everyone's out of gameplay comments, so it's time for this!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm

iancanton wrote:everyone's out of gameplay comments, so it's time for this!

thanks ian...i'll address those issues above in the next few weeks.
Private cairnswk

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 am

Been a month, whats the word :!:
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:Been a month, whats the word :!:

Right now i am snowed under with uni assigments and assessments. Sorry. :)
After Dec 6 i might get a chance to look at things.
Private cairnswk

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

Do what you need to do cairns! Just wondering what was up. Not like things are moving at the end here anyways.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 pm

cairns, since an update hasn't been posted since Aug 19 and you indicate it could be a couple more months, I'm going to go ahead and move it to the Recycling Box. I hate to see it stall with the amount of progress you've made on it, and I was really looking forward to writing the xml, because I think this could truly be an instant classic.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:21 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:cairns, since an update hasn't been posted since Aug 19 and you indicate it could be a couple more months, I'm going to go ahead and move it to the Recycling Box. I hate to see it stall with the amount of progress you've made on it, and I was really looking forward to writing the xml, because I think this could truly be an instant classic.

I think that's a bit rude moving it or any other map to recycling bin at this point simply because it is time to do it.
The last few months we've had no end of striking and lack being away so there has been no movement in the foundry at all. i am still waiting for maps xml to be checked over and that's been a patient end for some time now.
I would be very peed off is this happens even though it is foundry policy, it was never part of foundry policy to go on strike over someone's politicial issues nor have down time simply because the boss decided to do something and not bother keep the foundry going.
Up until the end of the strike i managed to keep things going with my maps, even though everyone else decided to down tools.
Now because i am busy with RL stuff, i get penalised by having the maps moved again to recycling bin.
I think you're going to have to strike some balance here.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 pm

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:cairns, since an update hasn't been posted since Aug 19 and you indicate it could be a couple more months, I'm going to go ahead and move it to the Recycling Box. I hate to see it stall with the amount of progress you've made on it, and I was really looking forward to writing the xml, because I think this could truly be an instant classic.

I think that's a bit rude moving it or any other map to recycling bin at this point simply because it is time to do it.
The last few months we've had no end of striking and lack being away so there has been no movement in the foundry at all. i am still waiting for maps xml to be checked over and that's been a patient end for some time now.
I would be very peed off is this happens even though it is foundry policy, it was never part of foundry policy to go on strike over someone's politicial issues nor have down time simply because the boss decided to do something and not bother keep the foundry going.
Up until the end of the strike i managed to keep things going with my maps, even though everyone else decided to down tools.
Now because i am busy with RL stuff, i get penalised by having the maps moved again to recycling bin.
I think you're going to have to strike some balance here.

It was time to do it almost two weeks ago, I just hadn't yet done it to give you the benefit of the doubt, and with the understanding that the foundry had been moving slower than usual lately, and because I want to see great maps get made. The only reason I said I might move it now is because you indicated it could be until December until you work on it again. You certainly can't expect to have your map sit in here for three more months with no progress being made on it.

But, you do make some valid points about the xml checking, and the creeping slowness of the FF these days, so I will go ahead and leave this be for another couple of weeks. Didn't mean to ruffle any feather cairns.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 pm

^^ NP. Feathers unruffled. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

pamoa wrote:as I love nitpicking :lol: I noticed some labelling hesitations
3rd bonus label should be "Command Vessel" instead of "Command Ship"

changed everything to Ship, including all references at bottom

Treasury movement legend says twice "to same player's Command Vessel"

Fixed.

for me there is a contradiction or better to say a duplicate when you explain
in Command Vessels legend "Bow and Stern can assault ... any Commander's Monarch"
and in Conditional Borders "Any Monarch can be assaulted only if holding one region of the same Monarch's Command Vessel"
what I suggest is a fusion
you don't need to say it is a conditional border if your legend explains clearly the conditions
and I would avoid the term region speaking of a part of a Vessel
so here is my proposition
"Bow and Stern can assault each other & adjacent ships"
"Bow or Stern can assault any Monarch's Commander only if holding Bow or Stern of the same Monarch's Commander

i have replaced the word region with position, and i think it is better to have in the instructions on the conditional border separate.
Appreciate the fusion, but for me. that also got confusing. so i'm happy to leave it as is.

and also for the beauty of the text
instead of Losing Condition I would say
"Commander's deposition : any Player failing to hold one non-Treasury region and one Treasury region or Monarch's Commander, will be removed from the game"

to me this introduces another element into the losing condition. it's only the commanders monarch (not a treasury position)
I appreciate your words, but using "deposition" - a lot of players are going to scratching their heads as to a meaning here. Think i 'll stick with what i've got, thanks. :)

Thanks for suggestions pamoa, and sorry for length taken to reply.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Do what you need to do cairns! Just wondering what was up. Not like things are moving at the end here anyways.

Well, next thing is to import this in photoshop and see what i can do with it in there (f anythying) :)
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [4.10] V24a-P18 GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Version 24a
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [4.10] V24a-P18 GFX?

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am

I cannot wait to play this map.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm

I cannot see any glaring problem graphically with this one, but are you happy with it cairns??
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I cannot see any glaring problem graphically with this one, but are you happy with it cairns??

Wow isaiah40! this is indeed serendipitous.
I am happy with it to some extent, but intend taking it through PS to see if i can't better it & tighten it.
That will probably take some time before i can get to that process, as i am on my last of 5 assignments this semester and about to start reviewing for final exams for 3 subjects.
Then in late Novemeber/early December i have another 6 day block subject.
After 10 Dec i should be able to concentrate more fully on these projects. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok, So if you don't mind I'll move it into the recycling box until then.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:46 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Ok, So if you don't mind I'll move it into the recycling box until then.

Actually, i made an update on 4 oct, so it's not due to be moved until 4 Nov. Correct?
So yes, i do mind. Sorry. :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas