Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Galactic Conquest

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Galactic Conquest

Postby ApophisNL on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 am

Added Poll for 10 days ending Nov 1st. Finished

What do you think about Galactic Conquest?
It's ready! - I like it, I want to play it! 56% [ 23 ]
Game Play has issues - work those out first. 14% [ 6 ]
Graphics has issues - fix those first. 7% [ 3 ]
I don't like it... 21% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 41

Newest versions:

There are 15 Solar systems with 47 planets for a total of 62 territories.

All +2 Earth-likes & all +0 Gas-Giants start neutral. Considering all core systems (the 5 around the galacy center) start neutral.

Original :)

There are 9 Solar Systems and 29 areas.

Holding an entire system gives +2 armies per turn.

Earth type planets give +1 army per turn.

Jupiter type planets kill 1 army per turn.

Comments please!
Last edited by ApophisNL on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:41 am, edited 14 times in total.
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Personally, I like the idea. I think it could be expanded into a map with more territories however. I think the idea of having bonuses for certain "types" of planets would make it interesting, but I don't know if having a negative bonus would work as well in this case.

That's just my two cents worth.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:00 pm

The idea has some potential... however its not well implemented yet... For example, each system has just one point that connects to other systems, so the game strategy is very linear and simple. Even if we keep this one "door" per system, would be more interesting with planets in orbits, because the orbits are a simple draw with no use for now. We also could have bigger systems... they all have 3-4 territories now.

Its needed take care about negatives... If a person starts with many of them, they waste the game... Maybe we can have also different star types, so with the yellow one earth is a positive, but with a red one jupiter is the positive and vice versa to the negatives. And I agree about having more planet types... it remembers me Master of Orion, lol... Gaia planets, earth like planets, desert planets, toxic planets... so many that I dont remember they all, lol.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Night Strike on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm

This belongs in map ideas (a mod will move it). There is a space map already, but this is much better graphically already.
Major Night Strike

Postby unriggable on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Maybe you can colaborate with the guy from Solar System to make it, so it can be in his style as well as yours (would be sick IMHO).
Cook unriggable

Postby jako on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:26 pm

gameplay needs a lot of work, as well as the sytem bonus as u have some systems that are attackable from mutliple systems (like Eallah system or Qyis system) while other systems are only attackable from 1 other sytem (like Ranara system or Secunda system)

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby ApophisNL on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 pm

jako wrote:gameplay needs a lot of work, as well as the sytem bonus as u have some systems that are attackable from mutliple systems (like Eallah system or Qyis system) while other systems are only attackable from 1 other sytem (like Ranara system or Secunda system)

Thanks for all the feedback sofar. I'll be honest, I'm much more of a graphics guy than a 'map maker.' If everyone wants to work on making a good playable map, I'd certianly make it.

Apophis
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby ApophisNL on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:59 am

Star Lanes link to each star. Planets are border by their star and all planets in the system. (IE you can attack any planet from any planet in the same system).

Planets now give 0, +1, and +2 armies.

System Bonuses are +1 per star lane. So Qyis would get 3 and Bylaris would get 1.

Thoughts?

-ApophisNL-
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 pm

This may take a while... I'd like to see more variety in your symbols.

The lines/clouds/craters whatever makes the contrasts on your planets to make them identifiable could be a bit different.

There are probably several versions of earth and mars you can use.

Sorry if that isn't clear. I just don't like the feeling of seeing the exact same planets several times.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby jako on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Coleman wrote:This may take a while... I'd like to see more variety in your symbols.

The lines/clouds/craters whatever makes the contrasts on your planets to make them identifiable could be a bit different.

There are probably several versions of earth and mars you can use.

Sorry if that isn't clear. I just don't like the feeling of seeing the exact same planets several times.

totally agree

could u add some variety in ur planets?

maybe different colours, and make some saturns and neptunes in there to make it not so plain with the repeating planets.

ur stars could also use some variety as well. perhaps u can add some super giants or blue dwarfs or green dwarf stars?

and what about black holes and worm holes? black holes can be bombarding points but gives u a -1 . and worm holes could be a one way to other systems.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby ApophisNL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:14 am

jako wrote:ur stars could also use some variety as well. perhaps u can add some super giants or blue dwarfs or green dwarf stars?

Just to make sure, but you did look at the second one, right? I did add a couple of different types. I can add more, but I just wanted to check.

-ApophisNL-
Sergeant ApophisNL

Version 0.21

Postby ApophisNL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi Guys,

What do you think:

-ApophisNL-
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby Coleman on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:05 pm

100% Better. :shock:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:10 pm

What if there was a Galactic Rim of some sort? That would open up the gameplay a little bit, but not too much. It could be all the way around and allow you to get to all of the systems. I suppose holding the entire rim would be worth a sizeable bonus as well.

Just a thought, by no means a requirement.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 pm

On another note, I definitely like the idea of having the systems named with the planets being numbered. That will make the drop down lists far easier to use than having all those extra names.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby ApophisNL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:25 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:What if there was a Galactic Rim of some sort? That would open up the gameplay a little bit, but not too much. It could be all the way around and allow you to get to all of the systems. I suppose holding the entire rim would be worth a sizeable bonus as well.

I didn't want to add any 'black-holes' or extra goodies because I wanted to make this more of a system by system slugfest.

Optimus Prime wrote:On another note, I definitely like the idea of having the systems named with the planets being numbered. That will make the drop down lists far easier to use than having all those extra names.

Yeah, it should list easily, like:

Devi I
Devi II
Devi III
Devi IV

etc...

-ApophisNL-
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:35 pm

ApophisNL wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:What if there was a Galactic Rim of some sort? That would open up the gameplay a little bit, but not too much. It could be all the way around and allow you to get to all of the systems. I suppose holding the entire rim would be worth a sizeable bonus as well.

I didn't want to add any 'black-holes' or extra goodies because I wanted to make this more of a system by system slugfest.

Optimus Prime wrote:On another note, I definitely like the idea of having the systems named with the planets being numbered. That will make the drop down lists far easier to use than having all those extra names.

Yeah, it should list easily, like:

Devi I
Devi II
Devi III
Devi IV

etc...

-ApophisNL-

I'm all about the system by system slugfest. I like that idea as well. Here is my next question:

How is the movement within a system going to work? Are all the planets within a system able to attack each other? I am assuming that is the case. Which, if so, I'm wondering what will stop this map from becoming nothing more than a 15 territory map once everyone secures their respective systems.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby ApophisNL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Yeah, you can move between stars, and put units on the stars (no bonus for holding a star though, only the complete system). All planets in a system would be attackable from the main star and each other.

I imagine it would be a 15 star struggle once the systems are conquered. Is that good or bad? I don't know. :?:

-ApophisNL-
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:50 pm

ApophisNL wrote:Yeah, you can move between stars, and put units on the stars (no bonus for holding a star though, only the complete system). All planets in a system would be attackable from the main star and each other.

I imagine it would be a 15 star struggle once the systems are conquered. Is that good or bad? I don't know. :?:

-ApophisNL-

That's what I'm trying to decide. Part of me says, yes, part of me says no.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby ApophisNL on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:26 pm

It would make an interesting two-phases of play... hard if the game's randomized...
Sergeant ApophisNL

Postby mibi on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:27 am

why do the stars have drop shadows? that seems rather antithetical.
Captain mibi

Postby Neutrino on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:58 am

I really like the idea, the actuality not so much.

Although the idea for bonuses for types of planets is good and original (to an extent) the linearity of the current map does eliminate a lot of strategies.
Also, a handful of identical star systems dosen't really fufil the name "Galactic Conquest". If it were truely Galactic, territories would be swathes of the galaxy (or an invented galaxy) rather than 1 in every few billion or so actual star systems.

Of course, the graphics are great (though it needs more planet types) but something in me (probably as a result of too may SciFi books) cries out against the unrealism of this map. Maybe name it "Local Stars" (or something similar, but better) and make it of the closest dosen stars to Sol.
It'd just require the renaming of the star systems and would quiten the feeling of unrealism I keep getting :)
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes, we own all your generals. Touch us and you loooose...

The Rogue State!
Corporal Neutrino

Postby unriggable on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:21 am

Some things:

You need more imbalance in planet sizes across the solar systems.
You need more variety in what the planets look like
You need to find a place to put the circles
You need more red dwarf suns, since those are the most common
You should add asteroids.
Most names will be numbers since thats what they call discovered planets.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:20 pm

unriggable wrote:Some things:

You need more imbalance in planet sizes across the solar systems.
You need more variety in what the planets look like
You need to find a place to put the circles
You need more red dwarf suns, since those are the most common
You should add asteroids.
Most names will be numbers since thats what they call discovered planets.

Sorry to say I disagree with most of these. Making the planets more varied would destroy the planet type bonus he's trying to set. I'm already having a hard time telling the difference between the mars like planets and the 'other' ones.

The armies will go on the circles that are the planets themselves. Army shadows/circles are not a requirement, there are many maps without them.

I would like to pretend that the earth like planets have intelligent life that named everything in their own systems. Numbers are often confusing for most players, as fond as mibi and I usually are of them most of the time. :lol:

Making the stars more varied couldn't be a bad idea though. And large meteors/asteroids could be a way to link planets together without going through the stars if you want to open things up more.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Gnome on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:16 pm

I think you should do something about the gameplay first...
I don't think it's a good idea to isolate some systems like you did with Invey and Bylaris.
If you have a good drop and you own Invey in the first move and than be able to take Worius you have a +3 bonus and only have to hold 1 star.
If you count the mars like planets you would have +6 I think (I have a hard time figuring out what is mars like and what is not, try making it clearer)
The '0 armies a turn' in your legend is unnecessary to mention I think
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Next

Return to Recycling Box