Conquer Club

Midkemdil [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Gnome on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:54 am

DiM wrote:edit// why does crydee have 2 different glows? the first half is pink and the second is red :?

same problem for Riibinon. first half is red and second is magenta.

I changed the glows again, they should be consistent now

DiM wrote:also I'm having a lot of trouble reading the text on the map. it's very small. either make it a bit bigger or increase the size of the maps. you have plenty of spare pixels till you reach the limit.

Well I don't know when the rules got changed but I've never seen a rule telling that I could go over 800px for large and over 600px for small?

Big map

Small map

Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Gnome wrote:
DiM wrote:edit// why does crydee have 2 different glows? the first half is pink and the second is red :?

same problem for Riibinon. first half is red and second is magenta.

I changed the glows again, they should be consistent now

DiM wrote:also I'm having a lot of trouble reading the text on the map. it's very small. either make it a bit bigger or increase the size of the maps. you have plenty of spare pixels till you reach the limit.

Well I don't know when the rules got changed but I've never seen a rule telling that I could go over 800px for large and over 600px for small?

the glow is good now.

on the size issue maps can be up to 840*800 for large and 630*600 for small.
your map is 785*625 for large and 600*469 for small so you still have extra px till you reach the limit.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:31 pm

I like the text as it is now and would find it refreshing if every member didn't needlessly push their maps to the max size limit.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:34 pm

Coleman wrote:I like the text as it is now and would find it refreshing if every member didn't needlessly push their maps to the max size limit.

i suggested to increase the map size because if he increases just the text then the landscape will be more covered. at least make the large version up to 800 px. i'm really finding things difficult to read because of the glow and the smallness of the font.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby The1exile on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:36 pm

I can't see the new maps?

edit: nvm, now I can. gj!
Last edited by The1exile on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Final Forge

---The Midkemia Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry furnace and have exmined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gimil on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 pm

congratz :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:36 pm

gimil wrote:congratz :wink:

same
Major DiM

Postby Wisse on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:41 pm

gratz gnome, you deserved it :D
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Mr_Niels on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:12 pm

come on! i want to play this map dude! :) i cant wait
Major Mr_Niels

Postby Gnome on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:53 am

Thx guys :)

I added some new links to the files because Ripway wants me to upgrade to premium...

Large

Small
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Rebirth on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:22 pm

Very nice, love the paths idea.
Cadet Rebirth

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Well the readability of the text has been a constant issue. DiM has trouble reading it, which means a group of people are going to, he's just a representative.

I'd rather not see it change myself. I am not having any problems. I am wondering if it is possible to increase the text size slightly across the whole map and if it would help. I don't think you'd need to increase dimensions to pull that off.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:34 pm

i think the text size can be increased by 1-2 pt there is plenty of space for it. I also think i can see a touch of white in the text (bevel?) If this was reduced of removed it may clear the text up a little.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Is bevel what happened to the Thai Burma map? I don't like that effect much if it was. I think a straight size increase with the glow should be enough.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:09 pm

If possible, as is being discussed above, increase the text size slighty. I sometimes have trouble reading it (but only in some areas where 'normal words' aren't found...I.E. Blackwoodpass is easy...familiar words, but Hadrielia? Skabri hrad?)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr_Niels on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 pm

this doesn't really is a priority but i should paint the title 'midkemia' white. its just a bit nicer i personally think
Major Mr_Niels

Postby Gnome on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Ok I enlarged the font on the big and the small map with 1 pt
And I fixed the outerglow of Skabri hrad to make it easier to read
Better like this?

If possible, as is being discussed above, increase the text size slighty. I sometimes have trouble reading it (but only in some areas where 'normal words' aren't found...I.E. Blackwoodpass is easy...familiar words, but Hadrielia? Skabri hrad?)

I know it maybe somethimes hard to read but the names are so difficult I'm sure you will never 'miss deploy' armies because of the names...

this doesn't really is a priority but i should paint the title 'midkemia' white. its just a bit nicer i personally think

sure it looks nice...but when it's white it will be an "eye catcher" and that's not what it's meant to be...I made everything dark so you can concentrate on the game and doesn't get distracted by flashy colours...

Large map

Small map
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby unriggable on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:27 pm

I like it...alot actually. Well fixed.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 am

i like the new font size. the large map is perfect. the small map is also good. everything is readable. i have a bit of trouble at the legend but it's just a matter of getting 2 inches closer to the display which isn't hard to do. so in my opinion the font is ok. nice fix.
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 am

South Coast should be 3.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:56 am

unriggable wrote:South Coast should be 3.

reasons? :roll:
Major DiM

Postby oaktown on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:19 am

any chance the you can make each "+" a bit less crunched vertically? I know that players will automatically assume that they are plus signs, but they look like bullets especially in the small map.
Captain oaktown

Postby Gnome on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:04 am

DiM wrote:

ya lol why? I see there are 4 diffrent ways to invade South Coast...from 4 diffrent continents...so I think +4 is good...

any chance the you can make each "+" a bit less crunched vertically? I know that players will automatically assume that they are plus signs, but they look like bullets especially in the small map.

Ok, I'll just make the + an other font...or just a bit bigger...on my screen it looks like a + but I noticed on school that there is a lot of diffrence between monitors...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:00 pm

DiM wrote:

He probably didn't see the Deep Jaunton - Nisil connection.
Sergeant Coleman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas