Conquer Club

WINNER: NCAA College Hoops 2011-12 — Nate the Great

Tournaments completed in 2012.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2011-12 — (update Feb. 23)

Postby musicalmaven on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:13 pm

this is to inform that i won game # 10673297, ions vs. unc-wilmington (djeris).
Captain musicalmaven

Postby musicalmaven on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm

this is to inform you that i won game # 10673300, iona vs. unc-wilmington (djeris). that's 2 of the 3 games.
Captain musicalmaven

Butler clinches a share of the Missouri Valley Conference Ti

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 am

Butler clinches a share of the Missouri Valley Conference Title

Associated Press

OMAHA -- The Madness is already beginning for the Butler Bulldogs. It took an incredible comeback for them to be playing for a share of the Missouri Valley Conference title in their final game. It took an even more incredible comeback for the Butler Bulldogs to win their final game.

Down by 25 early to the Creighton Bluejays (one cc game a guaranteed fast loss and other two cc games featured second turns), the Butler Bulldogs chances of winning a conference title seemed dashed. "I thought it was over. I was on the verge of depression," the seldom used freshman, Elliott Kampen remarked.

But Emerson's fears were never realized. The Butler Bulldogs came back and then some, handily winning their seventh game in a row by the score of 79-68. "I'm flabbergasted. I thought we had lost it," Coach VOL told reporters. "I thought we were going to have to root for a Witchita State loss for us to get a share of the title. And then we just went on a run and everything turned around so fast."

The win secured at least a share of the Missouri Valley Conference title for the Bulldogs. "I just can't believe we did it," Butler center, Andrew Smith rejoiced. "We were two, three games back. Witchita State was ranked nationally in the top five and it didn't seem like they'd ever lose."

With six games remaining in the season, the Witchita State Shockers were 12-0 in conference. The 9-3 Bulldogs trailed them by three games. But the Bulldogs won all of their remaining games including a pivotal 76-68 victory at home against the suddenly shocked Shockers in the second to last game of the season, handing them their third loss in five games.

Wichita State must win their final game at home versus Eastern Illinois just to secure a share of the conference title. "We'll be watching that game in the clubhouse," sophomore forward, Khyle Marshall stated. "Call us selfish but we don't want to share that banner."

Coach VOL's Historical Feat

Winning the Missouri Valley title marked a historical feat for Coach VOL. He became the first and only known coach to win three conference championships in three different conferences in three straight years. He led the Gonzaga Bulldogs to a West Coast Conference title during the 2009-2010 season. Last year, he led the Butler Bulldogs to the 2010-2011 Atlantic 10 title (and then the national title). And this year marked Butler's first year in the Missouri Valley Conference and they won the conference title.

"I'm excited and humbled by the feat," Coach VOL explained. "Maybe someone else will accomplish the feat some day. But I know how hard this was and I didn't know if I'd ever get a chance to do it again."

Interestingly, if Coach VOL leaves Butler after this year, he could become the only coach to ever win four different conference titles in four different conferences in four different years. His contract expires at the end of the season but the coach refused any requests to discuss his future beyond this season.

"We just don't know what he'll do," Butler radio play by play man Brandon Gaudin explained. "We know he loves Butler, but we also know that a part of him is bothered when people challenge whether he could continue his winning ways in another conference."

Some have speculated that Coach VOL would leave and join the Ivy League, the winningest conference in each of the two last seasons. His buddy, first year-Coach Robespierre__ coaches the second ranked Princeton Tigers. "He (Coach VOL) likes a challenge, but I think he yearns to show people that he can win a traditional power conference; so if he were to leave then probably not the Ivy League," Gaudin speculated.

"I'll look at the options after the season and decide what is best for me, my family and the institution," Coach VOL clarified. "Right now, our mission has not changed." That mission is for Butler to win a back to back national championship title.
High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Postby musicalmaven on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 pm

this is to inform you that i completed the sweep against djeris (iona vs. unc-wilmingtom0
Captain musicalmaven

Postby agentcom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 am

flexmaster33 wrote:I never really got into The Office for whatever reason, but I'm going to have to give it a look on my Netflix...that was cracking me up VOL. thanks for a hearty :lol:

I suggest starting from Season 1 and working through rather than just watching an episode here and there. I did not think that I liked the show when it would come up while I was channel surfing or when other people were watching it in the same room. Only started to like it when I started with first episode and realized that there is actually somewhat of a plot to the general silliness.
Colonel agentcom

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2011-12 — (update March 5)

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 am

thanks for your patience...check out the major update...
Still a decent load of games to complete in the final sets of the regular season, but available conference tournament games have been sent out.

Additional games will go out as standings become complete and the brackets can be fully seeded.

You can view each of the conference tournament brackets by clicking the links at the bottom of each league's standings. Also, the graphic at the top of the main thread with showcase the conference tournament winners, as they lock up automatic bids for the big dance.

The rest of us will have to sweat it out during the live Selection Show with a time to be announced (once the conference tourneys are complete).
Current tourneys -- 2023-24 College Basketball, Arms Race! Best of Five, Conquer the World, 2024 Major League Soccer, NBA playoffs, 2024 WNBA season doubles, Political Puppets mixed team

High rank: Major. Place: 1,150. Points: 2,093
Sergeant 1st Class flexmaster33

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:17 am

Also in the interest of keeping these tournament games moving quickly and getting to the final NCAA and NIT tournaments, players will have 48 hours to join their pm'd links or they will forfeit those maps.

(Of course, concessions can be made if you are out of town for the weekend or something, but you need to drop me a line alerting me that you're away).

thanks, flex
Current tourneys -- 2023-24 College Basketball, Arms Race! Best of Five, Conquer the World, 2024 Major League Soccer, NBA playoffs, 2024 WNBA season doubles, Political Puppets mixed team

Postby agentcom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 am

Toledo continues to struggle on the road, especially against conference opponents dropping yet another road conference game. This one, an 81-65 loss to Ohio put the Rockets three games back from the conference title with two games remaining in the season. This allowed Bowling Green to clinch the conference title regardless of result of the two teams' highly anticipated meeting in the final game of the season. While the Rockets have posted an impressive 23 and 6 record going in to the last week of the season, they are only 8-4 in conference play. With the exception of their loss to Georgia several weeks ago, the Rockets have been perfect at home. But they have struggled on the road (including neutral sites) posting a 10-5 record in those games. "Sometimes it's like a different team gets off that bus than got on in Toledo," coach Agentcom said after the most recent Toledo loss.

But other-than-usual factors may have contributed to this loss. "Going to Ohio can feel like you're playing in a pick-up game on an old playground," the coach said of Ohio's often-criticized home court (Doodle Court). "Sometimes you don't even know which way the ball's gonna bounce when you dribble or pass."

Before the loss at Ohio, the Rockets had picked up a pair of nonconference wins against Vermont and Boston College programs. Despite being out of contention for the top spot in the MAC, the Rockets have a lot to play for in their final two games against Kent State and #13 Bowling Green.

[Warning: heavy analysis of possible MAC playoff scenarios follows. Proceed at your own risk.]

show

I find this kind of stuff interesting, but thought I'd hide it in the spoiler so my post doesn't take over the whole page.
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 am

flexmaster33 wrote:thanks for your patience...check out the major update...
Still a decent load of games to complete in the final sets of the regular season, but available conference tournament games have been sent out.

Additional games will go out as standings become complete and the brackets can be fully seeded.

You can view each of the conference tournament brackets by clicking the links at the bottom of each league's standings. Also, the graphic at the top of the main thread with showcase the conference tournament winners, as they lock up automatic bids for the big dance.

The rest of us will have to sweat it out during the live Selection Show with a time to be announced (once the conference tourneys are complete).

Hey flex, I just looked at the MAC tourney ... and it looks nothing like the MAC tourney. I can send you the links with how they set that up if you need them.

Edit: If you're having trouble putting that format into whatever bracket program that you're using, you can just create more byes. Basically, you would set up a 16 team bracket. But the only actual games that happen in Round 1 would be 5 v 8 and 7 v 6. Then bye everyone else forward that round. Take the winners of those 2 games, put them against 3 and 4, bye everyone else. Winners of those go on to play 1 v 2. Winners of that play in championship.
Colonel agentcom

Postby dustin800 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 am

And despite clinching the second best conference and never losing to a team with a losing record UNC falls out of the TOP 25 (where second place Clemson loses 3 of their last 5 and fall from #6 to #11)

dustin800 wrote:North Carolina has finished the regular season and clinched the ACC regular season (the 4th straight year they have won either the ACC regular season or ACC tourney). Hopefully winning the second strongest conference (According to nonconference winning percentage) will result in a bump in the rankings.

(I agree that flex runs the best tournies on CC. The RPI does need to be tweaked so loses against top 25 teams dont hurt so much, I have close to the same amount of total wins as Clemson, have the same amount of Top 25 wins, beat them head to head and won our conference, yet they are a Top 10 team and I am barely in the Top 25. It wouldn't be a big deal except that Top 10 teams receive an extra bonus in the big dance. Having more loses to Top 25 teams only means that they had more loses to non top 25 teams (plus one of my loses was in a game that wasnt on my schedule but still counts against me in the RPI)

Thanks to flex for taking the time to make this a great tourney
Major dustin800

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:56 pm

nice breakdown agent, and thanks for the heads up on the MAC bracket...that has been updated.

Part of the problem is that the full-MAC didn't fill up, so it's kind of a hybrid mix this year.

Postby reptile on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Just a question flex, i am currently ranked #71. Do conference tournament games at the end of the season count towards rpi?

Since March Madness only includes 64 teams i am concerned that my 5-1 vs the top 25 and 4th place finish in the 3rd toughest conference will be enough.
Major reptile

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm

The RPI is only part of what the selection committee takes into account, and yes RPI #s can change through the conference tourneys.

Postby agentcom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:38 pm

flexmaster33 wrote:nice breakdown agent, and thanks for the heads up on the MAC bracket...that has been updated.

Part of the problem is that the full-MAC didn't fill up, so it's kind of a hybrid mix this year.

Yep, I realized that's we don't have the full 12 teams, but I figured that you'd be using the same tourney format. It's a pretty interesting tournament structure and it's new for this year's tourney. I didn't even know that was the format until I started looking into it to write that piece. It took me forever to write it (partly because I didn't notice at first that the Kent-N. Ill. game had finished, so I was trying to figure out now a 3-way tie might play out). It was a coincidence that you were doing a major update while I was writing it, so I didn't notice the new stuff until I had submitted the post.
Colonel agentcom

Postby TheKidsTrumpet on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 pm

agentcom wrote:
flexmaster33 wrote:nice breakdown agent, and thanks for the heads up on the MAC bracket...that has been updated.

Yep, I realized that's we don't have the full 12 teams, but I figured that you'd be using the same tourney format. It's a pretty interesting tournament structure and it's new for this year's tourney. I didn't even know that was the format until I started looking into it to write that piece. It took me forever to write it (partly because I didn't notice at first that the Kent-N. Ill. game had finished, so I was trying to figure out now a 3-way tie might play out). It was a coincidence that you were doing a major update while I was writing it, so I didn't notice the new stuff until I had submitted the post.

Really enjoyed reading all of that agentcom. Thanks for the write up.
Personal Best: 2344
Winner of: Championship Series: Arms Race
Redemption Pt. 1
Doubles Champion Initech XXV: Olympic Games w/Gilligan
Lieutenant TheKidsTrumpet

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm

ughh...this season has been my worst, and now I'm officially the first out after San Diego got its first win of the season — against my Pilots in the WCC tourney opener. Well played series ?!?!?! ... guess, now the rest of the teams can get my full attention!!!

Hoping for a U of P resurgence in 2012-13...if I'm not fired in the off-season :?

Postby agentcom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 pm

flexmaster33 wrote:ughh...this season has been my worst, and now I'm officially the first out after San Diego got its first win of the season — against my Pilots in the WCC tourney opener. Well played series ?!?!?! ... guess, now the rest of the teams can get my full attention!!!

Hoping for a U of P resurgence in 2012-13...if I'm not fired in the off-season :?

Hey flex, I got this funny feeling that you won't be fired from your own tourney ;)

But seriously, does this mean your out for good? No chance of getting any attention from the selection "committee"? BTW, I assume the selection committee is you, working mostly the RPI, but making some adjustments based on what you think are weaknesses in the RPI formula. Would that be accurate?
Colonel agentcom

Postby flexmaster33 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 pm

in the past, I've invited several other coaches to help out, but yes, in the end it's me making final say based on a variety of factors...placing in league, RPI #, quality wins, etc. And yes, just like the real life tourney, there are always people that think they should be in who aren't or ones that thought they'd be seeded higher. Just part of the real March Madness.

And yes, I'm out for this year...first time I won't make either tourney...my record was the worst I've ever had this season.

68 teams make it out of 150 or whatever it is...so about the top 40 percent get to the dance...the next 32 get a chance in the NIT consolation tourney, so even teams with some losing records will get into that bracket.

Postby agentcom on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 am

thekidstrumpet wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Really enjoyed reading all of that agentcom. Thanks for the write up.

Haha, I'm glad someone enjoyed it, cuz I spent a bit of time on it. Not really sure anyone would be interested in it except you, me, serbia and machrs. But it was fun to write and I never knew that the MAC conference tourney was played that way. The winner of the MAC conference tourney is guaranteed a #4 (at least) ranking in one of the regional tournies. So it's kind of important for both of us. First of all, congrats on clinching the MAC and second of all, I think regardless of the conference tourney both of us have pretty strong claims to make it to the dance regardless. So, I wish you luck in the tourney.

As an aside, kidstrumpet and I have started our game together (even before I wrote that post) and it seems like I'll take the game because I lucked out and got 3 first turns. Basically, I got REALLY lucky and B.G. will have to get even more lucky to win that game at this point. I'm certainly not complaining, but it's a little unfortunate that the match-up between the #1 and the likely #2 team in the MAC won't be a little more competitive.

Another spoiler alert, but today I took a Round 8 victory against K-State. He's ahead in one of the other games, and I'm ahead in the third game of the series, so it looks like I'll snag that #2 seed barring some bad luck. So ... I'm hoping that I'll see BG for that MAC title, but there's a couple of games in the interim that either of us could lose. No offense, trumpet, but BG is due for another conference loss pretty soon. :)

Hey flex, first round MAC games are usually played at the home school's site, while the rest (this year) will be at Quicken Loans Arena (Cleveland). Since there are only 7 teams in the MAC tourney rather than 12, there are really no "first round" games if you were to use the original conference format. If you consider the #6 v #7 game to be a "first round" game, which it kind of is, that would be played at the site of the #6 team. How is that gonna work out? More importantly for me, where are all the neutral site games going to be played? Since, none of the top 5 teams which I talked about in my write-up (BG, K-State, Me, E. Mich, Ohio) would really play at a home site in the actual MAC tourney, where is that neutral site going to be?

Spoiler alert #3: If I have time, I'd like to do a little MAC conference preview piece, which will certainly (again) talk about how Toledo doesn't do to well on the road, whether it's at a neutral site or an actual away game. As the #2 seed, if all games are played on the home court of the higher seed, I would think that my chances are better. Then my biggest challenge would be facing #1 BG on it's home court (where I've lost). A neutral site (like the actual MAC tourney) (maybe a regional or a randomly selected map) would be much worse news for me as I'm only 10-5 away from home this year. Of course, in reality, I think that this is mostly due to chance that I've lost a bunch of road games and had an impressive home record. But when I'm writing as if we're actually playing basketball, I like to talk like an ESPN analyst and talk about this sort of stuff. That's why I'm wondering.

Good luck to everyone in the conference tourneys and selection show! This has been a really fun tourney.
Colonel agentcom

Postby flexmaster33 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 am

For our purposes...the higher seed gets to play on its home court during the conference tournament phase. That gives a reward for the work put in during the 30-game regular season.

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2011-12 — (update March 6)

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:16 am

Butler Board Of Regents: Press Release

In recent days, Eastern Illinois lost it's coach and forfeited the remainder of its season. They were 1-1 versus the first place Butler Bulldogs and 0-1 versus the second place Wichita State Shockers with a final match-up between Witchita State and Eastern Illinois to be played on the final game of the season.

Eastern Illinois forfeited that final game and the Shockers were rewarded a share of the Missouri Valley Conference title (both teams finished with 15-3 conference records) and the number one seed in the conference tournament via a tie breaker. Consequently, Butler received the two seed in the conference tournament and lost the reasonable and expected opportunity to gain a solo share of the conference title and the top seed.

The University of Butler contends that Eastern Illinois should have finished the season or forfeited all conference games and not just the remaining conference games. In that event, Butler would have finished the season with the top seed and a full share of the conference championship.

If the preceding solution was found to be unacceptable to the NCAA or Wichita State then Butler also suggested an alternative; that the final Eastern Illinois game be played by the former coach or an interim coach. The NCAA in their apparent zeal to progress to the conference tournament disregarded the all contentions and solutions.

A Butler boycott of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament was seriously discussed by the board of regents. The board has decided against such measures, deciding that the team, the conference, the fans, any and all associated parties, and Coach VOL should not be adversely affected further by this unfortunate situation.

The University Of Butler Board of Regents formally requests that should there be a final between Wichita State and Butler that it be played on a neutral court (Random or Classic). We deem that to be the most fair solution in the event of such a match-up.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby agentcom on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:39 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:Butler Board Of Regents: Press Release

In recent days, Eastern Illinois lost it's coach and forfeited the remainder of its season. They were 1-1 versus the first place Butler Bulldogs and 0-1 versus the second place Wichita State Shockers with a final match-up between Witchita State and Eastern Illinois to be played on the final game of the season.

VOL, wouldn't it have only made a difference if E. Ill. had beaten Wichita State? That doesn't seem like it would have been very likely. Whereas, you do have a good chance of beating Wichita State. So, I'm not sure it would be fair to Wichita State to force them to play a game where they have a (roughly) 50% chance of losing that first place crown in place of a game where they had a much lower chance of losing. Not to mention that you're taking a home game away from them forcing them to play at a neutral site.
Colonel agentcom

Postby flexmaster33 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm going to stand by my decision to issue forfeits in the case of deadbeats, leaving all of the conference tournaments seeded as they are. (If I were to change the rules in this case, I'd also have to revisit about half the leagues in the tourney).

Deadbeats drive me as crazy as anyone who devotes themselves to a tournament, but unfortunately we were hit by a rash of them this year. The reserves list was exhausted and new reserves only trickled in. Issuing forfeits is the most fair solution I could come to, especially since most of the deadbeats were losing the majority of their games anyway.

I do keep a list of deadbeats and will not allow them back into any of my future tourneys...hopefully this weeds out the problem in future years.

Good luck to all in the conference tourneys...March Madness is in the air.

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 pm

agentcom wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:Butler Board Of Regents: Press Release

VOL, wouldn't it have only made a difference if E. Ill. had beaten Wichita State? That doesn't seem like it would have been very likely. Whereas, you do have a good chance of beating Wichita State. So, I'm not sure it would be fair to Wichita State to force them to play a game where they have a (roughly) 50% chance of losing that first place crown in place of a game where they had a much lower chance of losing. Not to mention that you're taking a home game away from them forcing them to play at a neutral site.

- It wasn't likely when E. Illinois beat me at home but my dice crapped out on me when I had the game in check. That's why the games are played.

- "Forcing" someone to play their scheduled game? I think that's a better alternative to handing someone a one seed. Don't you? I don't want to play an entire season and then zero care is taken to finish the season right.

- "Taking" a home game away? I'm not taking anything. Wichita State didn't earn that home game. He can go beat E Illinois, win the one seed (with the tiebreaker) and then he'll have something to take. I won one more actual game (won the one seed by half a game). If anything, I'm having my home game taken. But I'm compromising and requesting a neutral site game. I think that is more than fair.

flexmaster33 wrote:I'm going to stand by my decision to issue forfeits in the case of deadbeats, leaving all of the conference tournaments seeded as they are. (If I were to change the rules in this case, I'd also have to revisit about half the leagues in the tourney).

Deadbeats drive me as crazy as anyone who devotes themselves to a tournament, but unfortunately we were hit by a rash of them this year. The reserves list was exhausted and new reserves only trickled in. Issuing forfeits is the most fair solution I could come to, especially since most of the deadbeats were losing the majority of their games anyway.

I do keep a list of deadbeats and will not allow them back into any of my future tourneys...hopefully this weeds out the problem in future years.

You didn't even have to change the rules (though one is probably merited). You just had to take care to find a replacement coach to finish the season so that you weren't handing a one seed and share of the conference tournament to someone for free. Nobody wants their conference title to end on a forfeit when it's completely avoidable. In any event, I'm calling for you to rectify a bad situation and declare that a potential conference championship between Butler and Wichita State be on a neutral court. I think that's more than fair, given that I did beat Wichita State by a half game in actual games played and that you could have avoided this situation by using a replacement coach.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby ubcman64 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:
flexmaster33 wrote:I'm going to stand by my decision to issue forfeits in the case of deadbeats, leaving all of the conference tournaments seeded as they are. (If I were to change the rules in this case, I'd also have to revisit about half the leagues in the tourney).

You didn't even have to change the rules (though one is probably merited). You just had to take care to find a replacement coach to finish the season so that you weren't handing a one seed and share of the conference tournament to someone for free. Nobody wants their conference title to end on a forfeit when it's completely avoidable. In any event, I'm calling for you to rectify a bad situation and declare that a potential conference championship between Butler and Wichita State be on a neutral court. I think that's more than fair, given that I did beat Wichita State by a half game in actual games played and that you could have avoided this situation by using a replacement coach.

i think flex made it clear why he did what he did.
Founding Member of ++The Legion++
Major ubcman64

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2012