Route 66 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Route 66 - America's Main Street

Postby oaktown on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
oaktown wrote:The graphics are still in the rudimentary stages, but I think I've given a basic impression of how I want this look - 1950s, Cadillacs, postcards, world's largest ketchup bottle, aliens near Roswell, that kinda thing.

I realize that this is a way off yet, but are you planing on putting these elements into the background? Or is it going to look more like an old map?

I'd rather it look like an old postcard...

Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby mibi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 pm

cain't wait for the graphic update, should be supreme.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Hey oak. Just wanted to let you know I came up with a great way to do vector roads in Photoshop. Since you are doing this map I thought you might want to know. I can send you a psd file with the layer.

basically it is a vector path with text applied to it. Wherever the path goes, the text follows. I used a webdings font "circle" character and made it 2 font size with a very close leading. It simulates a vector line in illustrator but for photoshop. Once it is setup you just add control points to teh lien and move it around with teh pen tool. Once you get teh hang of it it is very easy to use and edit. Plus it gives a much cleaner look.

Let me know. It is how I am doing all the roads and interstates in US map pack.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Anarkistsdream on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Being an Oklahoma Native, I love it!!!!
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Corporal Anarkistsdream

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 am

WidowMakers wrote:Hey oak. Just wanted to let you know I came up with a great way to do vector roads in Photoshop. Since you are doing this map I thought you might want to know. I can send you a psd file with the layer.

basically it is a vector path with text applied to it. Wherever the path goes, the text follows. I used a webdings font "circle" character and made it 2 font size with a very close leading. It simulates a vector line in illustrator but for photoshop. Once it is setup you just add control points to teh lien and move it around with teh pen tool. Once you get teh hang of it it is very easy to use and edit. Plus it gives a much cleaner look.

WM

Don't listen to WM here, it's crazy confusing. Just use the free form pen tool and adjust your tolerance. Stroke it when you are satisfied.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 am

mibi wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:Hey oak. Just wanted to let you know I came up with a great way to do vector roads in Photoshop. Since you are doing this map I thought you might want to know. I can send you a psd file with the layer.

WM

Don't listen to WM here, it's crazy confusing. Just use the free form pen tool and adjust your tolerance. Stroke it when you are satisfied.
Is it crazy confusing or PURE GENIUS??? :D :D :D

The problem is mibi, when you stoke a free form line, the stroke is still not a vector based line.
By adding text to the line you can:
1) adjust adjust the line and see the results in real time.
2) Less work making adjustments after the initial line is set
3) Mess with the thickness without having to re-stroke the line to see.
4) Adjust the spacing of the characters and make vector based dotted lines. Again no need to jsut edit the spacing on the paint brush tool anymore.

I am going to post an image and PSD anyway mibi. ;)
WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel WidowMakers

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 am

I just use this method because you get the smooth look and the stokes are editable in realtime.

And even if you don't use it or think it is appropriate for this project that is OK.
It is just another way to do the same thing and I just wanted to share it with everyone.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... trokes.psd
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby oaktown on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:20 am

Widow, you're brilliant. I don't know that I'll be using this for roads, but it does open up the possibility of making attack routes that are dashes instead of dots. And if I have any dirt roads, I'm golden.

Ooh, this could be the answer the the railroad tracks that I was goingot have to hand-draw in the India map. ############# :D
Captain oaktown

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:29 am

oaktown wrote:Widow, you're brilliant. I don't know that I'll be using this for roads, but it does open up the possibility of making attack routes that are dashes instead of dots. And if I have any dirt roads, I'm golden.

Ooh, this could be the answer the the railroad tracks that I was goingot have to hand-draw in the India map. ############# :D
All of these things are still much easier in Illustrator. You can still do it in photoshop with the method above but it takes 3 lines to make a RR track. In Illustrator you can make it with 1 line and apply different effects and strokes. That is how I made the Rail USA tracks.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby drake_259 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:51 pm

well that explains route 66, it always seems to pop up in movies but i didn't relise it was such a big route

anyway as for the map, it looks and sound pretty cool, i will wanna play this defo
Tournament Sign Ups:
Carcassonne Win 3 Months Tournament Prize
Battle For Medals! Round 2
Sergeant drake_259

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby oaktown on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Added the increasing Route 66 bonuses.
Mostly I just set the file up better to make future changes, but since it had been a while I thought I ought to post something.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby GrimReaper. on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:03 pm

i like it

just a suggestion: Perhaps at every city on 66 Have skyscrapers showing from behind the High way markers

ill try to post a pic illustrating on what i mean
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:44 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled.
Oaktown, after you've got an update, feel free to put yourself back in the drafting room.

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Route 66 [vacation]

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:46 pm

MrBenn wrote:It would appear that development of this map has stalled.
Oaktown, after you've got an update, feel free to put yourself back in the drafting room.

Agreed. I'll be away for the next two weeks, so when I get back I'll decide which of my current projects I care about enough to carry on.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Re: Route 66 [vacation]

Postby oaktown on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 am

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3: no gameplay changes here, I just wanted to get an update up and get this project back on track.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas