Conquer Club

Weekend Pause *Rejected*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Weekend Pause *Rejected*

Postby Daesthai on Mon May 08, 2006 11:23 am

<null>
Last edited by Daesthai on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private Daesthai

Postby moz976 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:36 am

I wouldn't mind haveing that option as well.
"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
They get so excited, nothing gets in their way
My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
It's good for drifting, drifting away."
-Vedder
Private moz976

Postby Fieryo on Mon May 08, 2006 3:00 pm

i think this would go well with the option to chose how long between turns, so if people want a fast game without play on the weekend, that could be an option.
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Postby Mjolnirs on Tue May 09, 2006 12:03 am

The opposite of that is that this site is blocked at work and I can only play late at night, but have access all weekend. So, this ability would slow things down even worse for me.
Sergeant 1st Class Mjolnirs

Postby Hoff on Tue May 09, 2006 1:11 am

I think this could be a useful option. I probably would never use it cuz i'm always online lol. But i'm sure adding this option to the other suggestions of time limits would be nice.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby fluffybunnykins on Tue May 09, 2006 6:11 am

it's a great idea, but when would the w/e start & in which timezone?
that's why we need a lobby ( http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1287 ) for each game, to display the myriad options ;o)
can we get a discount on membership for only playing off-peak? :wink:
Phil
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby freakshow on Sat May 13, 2006 6:05 am

I know this is an older post so it's getting bumped. I agree with Fiero and then some, I think that having an option to set round time would be really usefull when you want to play fast games. But there also has to be some kind of vacation option, I've dead beated on many games because I was out of town for 3 - 5 days. I couldn't get on CC. If there was just something that was like Look I'm going to be off for a week. Then if they other guys were cool with it the game would go into stasis for set time, while a game is in stasis no one could take any turns and it would no longer count as an active game. Then after the set time limit the game would return to active and be playable by all. To avoid the hassle of non-premium members having there accounts maxed out when the game wanted to go active, you could make this like the private games. It would have to have a premium member in it, then when the game went active it could become a non-premium members x+1 game (where x is the limit, which admittedly I don't know). You'd also have to cap the number of stasis games non-premium members could have, keep it down to like 3.
"CAN YOU DIG IT?"
-thegrimsleeper
Private freakshow

Postby eye84free on Sat May 13, 2006 3:21 pm

yes if we could pick the timelimit on the game. well should i say the person starting the game..in 3 diff. time frames...such as..12 hours-24 hours-and 36 hours-but no more than 36 hours. the game would take forever people wouldnt bother anymore 36 hours is realy to long but i do understand the playing games at work i do it all the time. but to pick the option of ur time limit would be nice to. also it would weed out some of the people that become deadbeats because of that issue and the people that play wont get wraped up in along game theyll just stay away from the 36 hour game time frame.
Major eye84free

*bump*

Postby ubermonkey on Mon May 29, 2006 10:30 am

The games we play are password-protected. Since we all know each other (and we all live in the US), the time zone thing will not be an issue.

Not that I'm opposed to the game lobby idea. I just don't think it is necessary for a 'pause during weekends' option.
Private 1st Class ubermonkey

Postby areyouincahoots on Mon May 29, 2006 11:26 am

I guess it would be an interesting idea for the people that need it...Lack, I trust you to use your best judgement to find a way to implement this...or not...lol
"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." -Doc Holliday
Private 1st Class areyouincahoots

Re: *bump*

Postby vtmarik on Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 am

ubermonkey wrote:The games we play are password-protected. Since we all know each other (and we all live in the US), the time zone thing will not be an issue.

Not that I'm opposed to the game lobby idea. I just don't think it is necessary for a 'pause during weekends' option.

It'll just bog things down.

The real question is why can't you play it at home if you can at the office...

Did you check your TCP/IP settings? Enable cookies?
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon May 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Maybe they don't have the internet at home?

Maybe they've got wives/girlfriends that don't want to be with a gaming nerd?

There's a lot more that can go into it than just user error. Some people call it real life. :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Haydena on Mon May 29, 2006 1:31 pm

Real life? What's that?

Am I missing something?
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon May 29, 2006 2:03 pm

thegrimsleeper wrote:Maybe they've got wives/girlfriends that don't want to be with a gaming nerd?

I have a better solution. Dump them!
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Re: *bump*

Postby Daesthai on Wed May 31, 2006 8:51 am

<null>
Last edited by Daesthai on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private Daesthai

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Okay, this idea was rejected, but I wish it were reconsidered with some modifications.

1. make "no weekends" and "weekends only" an OPTION in play. No one will get "caught" because you will know before the game starts what the criteria are.

2. Either set a "uniform" start/finish time OR let the creater designate a start/finish time. Either may cause some folks to have longer turns than others, but folks will know this in advance and can decide not to join the game if they have an issue with it.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Hmmm - bit of a necro - but I like the idea...

So do you mean...

Weekend only games - you still have 24 hours per turn - but the clock only moves at the weekend?

No Weekend games - you still have 24 hours per turn - but the clock doesn't move over the weekend?

The two problems I see with this -
1) is where does the weekend start? GMT? PST? EST?
2) what about freestyle games?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm

I actually did not realize this would appear here, since I added it to the thread in lack's "to-do" list, but I cannot say I am unhappy about it...

I can see three possibilities for timing --
1. Just set them at EST, "take it or leave it" (or whatever time zone has the most folks???)

2. Have 2 or three options, essentially one US/Canada, South America and another for Europe/Africa, etc.... maybe a third for Asia/Australia. Period. This would not satisfy everyone, but no one would HAVE to play this kind of game, either -- it would be another option for those who wish, that is all.

3. let folks individually set the times -- this last would be complicated, difficult to program, etc., so I don't think it would be practical.

Freestyle games would just run the same, with the same 24 hour limits minus either weekends or weekdays ... Time zone uniformity might be more critical, but that would be up to the players. It could turn out to work poorly for freestyle games, but again, it is just an option. Some folks will like it, some won't ... like any of the other options.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Re: Weekend Pause *Rejected*

Postby zimmah on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Daesthai wrote:Most of my friends and I are playing at work and a couple of them have limited access to the game away from work.

I'd like to suggest the option to have the time limit only run during the week and skip the weekends.

your boss won't like that, lol :lol:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Forza AZ on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 pm

I see another problem. What happens when you (accidently) start your turn a few minutes before the "weekend break". Will your turn freeze, and so you have to be online when the break ends again to finish your turn. :wink:

Or can you finish your turn, even when it lasts into the "break". This then can give strange things in Freestyle, as starting your turn just before the break will make sure you won't have to worry about someone else jumping in in the mid of your turn. So this then can become an (unwanted) tactic.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby yeti_c on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Forza AZ wrote:I see another problem. What happens when you (accidently) start your turn a few minutes before the "weekend break". Will your turn freeze, and so you have to be online when the break ends again to finish your turn. :wink:

Or can you finish your turn, even when it lasts into the "break". This then can give strange things in Freestyle, as starting your turn just before the break will make sure you won't have to worry about someone else jumping in in the mid of your turn. So this then can become an (unwanted) tactic.

Actually I think that you should be able to play "during the break" but the turn time just doesn't clock down...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:12 pm

I think you should be allowed to finish your turn, but the clock won't swith. In fact, I like Yeti's idea the best ... that you can play, the turn time would run normally, but not the 24 hour timer. That way, other players COULD play, have multiple turns, but not be forced to ... at least in freestyle option.

In freestyle, there might have to be a "total" pause, so one teammate doesn't have an advantage (though from what I remember, the advantage went to the last player, not the first .. ? ) Though I would still allow any "accidental" or just "near the time limit" turns go ahead as usual.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Return to Archived Suggestions