EDIT: I figured some of y'all might like to see my PSD files. Enjoy!
67 Territories, 7 regions, 5 sub-regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus, Jump Gates Start with 3 Neutral Armies.
ORIGINAL POST --------
I noticed that there weren't many space maps so I thought I'd try my hand.
The map is of our solar system and all the objects depicted are real. Well, except for the jump gates.
Paths and Layout
Space is full of unhindered space so It makes sense to have just about everything reasonably nearby accessible to everything else. Since the obvious result would be that planetary regions would be both hard to defend and kinda boring. So I made it so that the equatorial regions of planets are suitable for entering or returning from space. NASA and other space agencies launch vessels as close to the equator as is practical for some orbital reasons that I don't totally understand; so it seams somewhat sensible. In any case the regions are somewhat “over connected” but the sub regions (planet surfaces) are fairly easy to conquer and defend. Once conquered a major region can typically be held by posting a large force at the jump gate (more on them), So I’ll add some XML to combat turtling.
Jump Gates are the standard teleporting dohoocky you've seen in countless science fiction. They are depicted on the map with slight outer glow (matching the region they are in) and are labeled JG-<region_code>. The jump gates would all be connected.
In this science fiction jump gates are newish technology and aren’t reliable. Depending on how many gates you hold they will either eat armies or clone them. This means that holding a jump gate could be costly or beneficial. This further means that taking a jump gate might you weaker and your enemy stronger. This should be enough to prevent jumpgates from being overly important as choke points.
I have a mess of stuff left to do.
* All the moons and planetoids are the same, they need to made different.
* I don’t like the look of the asteroid belt. I’d like to shape it to look more elliptical
* I’d like to expand the asteroid belt to contain all major asteroid families (I think there are 6 or so)
* My region bonuses will need to be tweaked.
* There is a problem with the rings of my Saturn graphic.
* My planets are translucent, I should have faded them instead.
* The paths and circles should be the same consistent level of grey/white and need to cleanly attach to each other.
* The Trojan and Greek camps may not look enough like elements of the Jupiter Region (but then again maybe they shouldn’t be)
* I might want to move Jupiter Saturn and the outer giants so that they are more in order and provide a non-gate path; allowing non-gate travel from mercury all the way to 136372. Though the sciency way would be to connect the hubs of each region. Essentially making most of them undependable. Though an alternative would be to connect the moons of the regions under the assumption that refueling at a moon is necessary for such long distance travel.
Well, Let me know what y’all think.