Westeros - A Song of Ice and Fire [abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Westeros - A Song of Ice and Fire [abandoned]

Postby Spockers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 am

Latest Version:
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/RWP/RWP-3.jpg

Previous Versions:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/WallyCombover/RWPcc.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/RWP/RWP-7.jpg

Territories: 42

This is a joint project between myself and Keyogi.

It is taken from the George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Copyright has been taken care of.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 am

Comments on the colours of the text would be good too. In paticular the gold and orange so close to each other. Each colour represents the houses of Westeros, so can't really be changed, but they can be tweaked to try and produce better results if needed.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Xyl on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:42 am

That looks awesome. =D> Maybe you could give one of orange or gold a different outline, like for the two blues? Or just lighten up the gold, the closeness of the hue wouldn't matter as much if the brightnesses were clearly different.
Major Xyl

Postby edbeard on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:45 am

I'm just wondering about how you'll be able to get from East to West. But, I'm sure they'll be water paths or something so that Moat Calin to The Twins doesn't serve as a bottleneck. Honestly I don't really need to say anything about that because you two know what you're doing, so I'll just wait and see what exactly you offer.

Is this going to be a straightforward map, or are there going to be ports or capitals? I've never heard of the series, so I'm totally in the dark.

Everything looks top notch so far guys, and 42 is a great number.

about the colours, maybe use a brighter yellow? The orange is too simlar
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby Spockers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:56 am

The unfortunate shape of the map is being taken into account, and we have in mind to make great game-play without bottlenecks.

Unfortunately this means one or two boat routes will be necessary, but this will be kept to a minimum.

I despise any sort of gimmick in a map, so it will be an old-school classic one.

Postby edbeard on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:00 am

I don't despise them, but lets just say that I prefer not to have them. Glad to hear it.

Oh I meant to ask. You have rivers, and I'm assuming they're impassable? Are there going to be other types of impassable borders?

Or, just ignore this and I'll wait until you come with the update
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby Spockers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:06 am

At this stage, nothing is being planned as 'impassable'

I think these are unnecessary if you have well planned territories.

Postby Xyl on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:45 am

It seems like The Eyrie, at least, should have some impassable borders. It would feel strange to see armies marching through it to get somewhere else.
Major Xyl

Awesome

Postby Keredrex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm

I am Reading the Book Now Actually... Looks good so far ... as for the Font ... What if you had a slightly different Font Per House .... It would solve some of the color issues .... also Lighten The Map, make it a little brighter...
OR you could put a Faint color to the army circles Or border lines (When you have them) to define the Houses....

you should put a DIRE WOLF image Small In the Corner
Lieutenant Keredrex

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Coleman on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:57 pm

Color Coding the key would really improve matters.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Jarita on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:45 pm

I think the map looks great - Ive read what has so far been written in this series and loved it so I thought this was a fantastic idea for a map.

The colours seem ok to me. I agree with colour coding the key though too.

I like with the idea of a dire wolf somewhere on the map.

I'm really looking forward to playing this map!!
Private Jarita

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 pm

i have no idea what are the books about so the theme does not interest me.
the graphics look really good so i don't have any comments in this chapter.

as for the gameplay i have one concern that's already been expressed: the bottleneck.

i'd like to see some terit borders to form a better idea about the gameplay.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Teya on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:23 pm

DiM wrote:i have no idea what are the books about so the theme does not interest me.

at least this has a theme and isnt just some made up crap. :roll:

I havent read the books, and I dont plan to. However it is the map Im interested in. Not the theme.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:23 pm

looks good just need to add attack routes
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Teya wrote:
DiM wrote:i have no idea what are the books about so the theme does not interest me.

at least this has a theme and isnt just some made up crap. :roll:

huh?? :shock:

did i miss any recent made-up themeless crap?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas