Provide a way for players to set a maximum number of active games that they wish to play, then allow them to join as many unfilled games as they like. Once the number of active games reaches their set maximum, drop them from the wait-lists of all other games.
Everyone has a limit to the amount of time they can spend here, and the number of active games they feel comfortable playing. In the case of freemium (unpaid) players, they are limited to 4. As it exists now, the "Join A Game" feature makes it very difficult for players to get optimal use from the site. Depending on what type of game you are looking for, there may be thousands of games waiting for players, but unless you find a game with only one open slot, you will have to choose one (or a few) to join and wait for it to fill. If you join too many, then when they all eventually fill, you will be overloaded with active games. If the ones you choose to join don't fill up quickly, you will be left waiting with fewer than your desired number of games, while other games that you would have been willing to play are filled. This is an even bigger problem for freemiums, who must be very selective about which games they join if they don't want to potentially wait a very long time for their game to start.
A solution to this would be:
- Provide players with a setting for the maximum number of active games that they want to play.
- Freemium (unpaid) players would be limited to no more than 4.
- Allow players to join the wait-lists of an unlimited number of games as long as they are below their maximum number of active games.
- When joining games, players should be allowed to specify whether it is a "priority" game that should not be dropped.
- When a player reaches their set number of active and/or priority games, the system should remove them from all other non-priority wait-lists they have joined.
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
- Games will start faster.
- More activity will increase satisfaction for both paid and unpaid members, which could lead to better member retention and more paid membership.
- If a separate setting for the maximum number of guide games were added, then this could solve the problem of people dropping out of the Society of Super Guides because they don't like getting overloaded with auto-joined guide games.