Following on from the data issues, and 1 day rollback, of last week, I wanted to report on steps that have been taken to improve CC's backup and recovery systems.
Since at least 6 weeks ago, when I first arrived on the Admin scene, the following system was in place:
- Daily backups of entire database, stored for 5 days.
Over the past few days we have put this system in place:
- Daily backups of entire database, stored for 4 days
- 3 Hourly backups of critical data tables, stored for 24 hours
- Daily transfer of copy of database to another server
- Mirror database put in place for dual purpose of beta testing (pre-launch) and live redundancy.
This is not all we will do, however some of the other plans will take longer to implement as they involve structural changes that need to be handled with care. We have also researched a variety of other types of options (mirroring, replication, etc) and may incorporate such things in the future. It should be noted that many options that exist that might improve one aspect of our overall experience, turn out to have a negative effect on some other aspect... so it becomes a trade-off in these situations. However, we are determined to continue to enhance CCs core infrastructure over time.
Admin to the Community