Conquer Club

Issue 17: 14/04/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
Hope you find all kinds of tournaments that suit your tastes in this issue.

Enjoy!
Gozar

Index

News
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with jennifermarie
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments
The Hubble Bubble Triples Trouble Tournament has been cancelled

Feudal Kings Tournament
Organiser: CryWolf/Sd031091
This is a doubles, speed, freestyle tourney

Brigade Commander Tournament - Quads
Organiser: gdeangel

The Pimps Doubles Tourney
Organiser: pimphawks70

Olympics Part 2:Altius
Organiser: amazzony

1 versus 1 Tournaments

The Need for Speed
Organiser: Tieryn

Westsidekilla's 1vs1 Tournament
Organiser: Westsidekilla6

The More The Merrier
Organiser: brendan man

Duck, Duck, Goose!
Organiser: dittoeevee8888

My House, My Rules
Organiser: mushin

Raining Fire (Waterloo 1v1)
Organiser: lanyards

Battle of the Ranks: Part 1
Organiser: Natewolfman

Broken Bracket Tournament
This is a freestyle tourney

General Tournaments

Murphy Tourney Season 2
Organiser: murphy 16
This is a freestyle tourney

Twisted Tournament

8 Man Madness
Organiser: Gilligan
To be played on all maps

The Wolfman's Regulars

Racing to Win
Organiser: madman7

Fight for the Nation
Organiser: RedRover23B

Conquer the World
Organiser: Icedragont

Map Blaster II: The Redemption
Organiser: brandoncfi
Played across all 74 maps at once

The Tri Nations
Organiser: multiplayertim

CC Royal Rumble
Organiser: tstoweschnell

Represent your map
Organiser: Tazza

The Lucky 7’s
Organiser: barterer2002

CC World Cup of Risk 2008
Organiser: sensfan

Official Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament
Organiser: Sir. Ricco
There is a premium prize for the winner

Needing Reserves

Looking for reserves
Looking for reserves for 2 tournaments - Battle of the Lakes & Wimps vs Cool Dudes

Tri-Season Doubles
Organiser: Tieryn
Mid round replacements needed

2008 MLB Season
Organiser: vykingsfan64

Reserve pool for all EIOT tournaments
Organiser: Natewolfman, Sir. Ricco, Gozar, jennifermarie, lord voldemort, amazzony, Gilligan, barterer2002

Arena League
Organiser: flexmaster33
This is a doubles event

Quickdraw 1v1 Tournament

The Amazing Race 1: CC Style
Organiser: dittoeevee8888
This is a doubles, freestyle tourney

Olympics Part 1: Citius

The CC Poker Tourney
Organiser: knighthawk

The Foundry Update Tournament
This is a 1v1 tourney to be played on China, NYC & WWII Gazala

The Elder Wand League
Organiser: lord voldemort

Freaky Freestyle
This is a doubles tourney

Literature Prize

The Six Nations
Organiser: multiplayertim

Monopoly CC Edition

MLB Premium only
Organiser: Killer619

Best of the Best Preliminaries: American Civil War 1v1

Ultimate Classic League
Organiser: barterer2002

Sir. Ricco’s reserve pool
Organiser: Sir. Ricco

Wizard of Magic
Organiser: White Moose

Double Do It
This is a 1v1 tourney

Olympics 1v1

License to Kill
Organiser: conquerAce

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread.

The World Leader's Assassin Tournament
Organisers: Gozar
Game two of day four has begun.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
Third elimination coming up.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Update 02/04/08
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
Round Two underway
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Round One underway.
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
Elimination Six.
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
All games in the qualifying round are running.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
Round One 14/16
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
Update 01/04/08
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Standings update 04/04/08

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

The Official Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament from Sir. Ricco
Look for it: When the Age of Mayhem map nears completion

Olympics Part II and III from amazzony
In the spirit of Olympics, part II will be doubles tournament and Part III 3-8 player games.

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”Conquerer of Realms!”- Alexinho
”Pokemon Diamond and Pearl”- Seeso
”Fatty’s Classic Tourney”- ronzerox
”The Foundry Update Tournament 1.0”- brandoncfi
”Mercenary Team War”- Hiddendragon
”Tossed Salad Doubles”- lokisgal
”Termination:Classic”- hotspur
”Battle of Emoticons 3”- RoOkAz[/b]
”All Star Point Grabbers”- Serbia
”Under Seige”- insomniacdude
”The Alpha or the Omega”- Silver 2 and fantanyser
”Cairns Coral Coast Masters Division 2”- Jay513
”Map Blaster I”- HATH

Interview with jennifermarie
This week we had the chance to talk with organizer and moderator jennifermarie. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with barterer2002. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with Serbia. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, jennifermarie.

A: Hi Gozar!

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I joined CC in March of 2007 because I was looking for something to do on the internet, and I came upon CC. It appeared to be a really cool site (and it was).

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: I had played in several tournaments, and I had fun in them, so I thought that I should run a few to allow others to have the same fun that I did.

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A: Some like "Knights of the Round Table" came from reading books about King Arthur and Queen Gwenivere. Others, like 41 maps, come from just random ideas I have while I am sitting in my classes thinking about CC.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: I don't remember what tourney I first played in, I believe it was an Optimus tourney though, which was run well. My first tourney run was "Knights of the Round Table" I was very excited to be running a tourney, and very nervous that it wouldn't fill. Everything went quite smoothly for that tourney, which encouraged me to run more!

Q: How many tournaments have you run and how long have they been? How many at once?

A: Knights of the Round Table, 41 maps, USA Tourney, Freedom is not free, WC 2010 AFC assistant and OFC assistant, The C-List (EIOT). I've run 7 tourneys so far, right now I have 3 going, Freedom is not free (picked up from Tentamu), 41 maps, and The C-list. Freedom is not free has been going on since Dec. 07 :shock: , 41 maps has been going on since late January, and EIOT has been going on for a few weeks. The rest of the tourney's I have run or helped with have been rather short.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you've run? Why?

A: I don't have a favorite, there are 2 that I am quite fond of one of them is Freedom is not free. I picked it up when tentamu had to leave. It has taken 441 games. The other one is 41 maps tourney, which has had 656 games, just in the first round. I like them both because they are long and a lot of fun for myself and the players.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: Probably one of Optimus Prime's tourneys, they are run so well, and are so much fun!

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A: For playing in tourneys, I tend to play in all kinds of formats, doubles, singles, points based, elimination based.
For running tourneys, I tend to stick with singles point-based tourneys, because creating crazier brackets seems difficult.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: Right now I have 20 active games, and all of them are tourney games. Because I join so many tourneys, I don't have much time to join regular games.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: The first game I won was on 3/19/07 vs snowman21 and Villi on the Ireland map. I was very excited, and couldn't wait to play more games and get more points!

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: My most dissappointing tourney loss was in Freedom is not free. I was so excited that I might actually win a tourney I had run, but it was not to be so, my points were in the bottom 6 of the round so I was eliminated :(

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: A successful tourney is one that the organizer has fun running, and that is updated frequently so that the players know what is going on. I hate leaving players in the dark about what is going on.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: The most successful ones are by Gozar, Optimus, amazzony, and many other tourney organizers whose names are currently slipping my mind.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: I attract players by running tourneys that I think are interesting for them to play in. Most of the time, they just tend to come to my tourneys, and I don't have to do much inviting.
I believe that many tourney players are playing tourneys because it fosters a great sense of community, and lifelong rivalries and partnerships are formed. I can't recall how many times I've played against some people in various tournaments, but each time is new.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: Dealing with people abadoning the tourney and trying to find lots of reserves.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: I've made the mistake of not having enough reserves when I started a tourney, which led to it biting me in the backside when about 5 or 6 players left. I also was not able to do an update for about 2 weeks because I was at home, and it took me 3 hrs to get all of the scores updated.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: I would want the community to become even stronger, and come together as a bunch of friends who like playing CC!

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: Maybe have a way of typing in what kind of games you needed, what the titles need to be, and have them auto created, or a tab included that showed all games going on in each of the tourneys that you are running at a certain time. I'm not sure if anything should be taken away.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Excel spreadsheets are your friend. Learn how to use the SUM functions, and make the computer work for you. Keep your tourneys updated, 10-15 minutes of work a day is a lot better than 3 hour stretches on the weekends. Don't get discouraged if a tourney doesn't fill up automatically, most take a week or two to fill, if not longer. Remember to have fun with your tourneys

Q:Who is your favourite organizer? (excluding yourself)

A: I was afraid you'd ask me this one....I'd have to say Op, he's made so many tourneys and has run them all so well.

Q: f you had a million dollars and placed it on a train traveling to chicago at a rate of 84 miles per mole while the other train coming from London and a rate increaseing 3X+4 per second. Find X...

A: The trains would never cross...trains can't go under the Atlantic (yet).

Q: There is no I in team but there is a Me, what does this mean to you?

A: It means that while you can't do everything you want while in a team, you must remember to not let the team consume you.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: I have some ideas, look for some in late May 08!

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:No problem, this has been the least stressful thing that I've done the whole weekend, after helping run a LAN party, and attending an Obama rally, this is a nice release.

Next Issue

Interview with barterer2002 barterer2002 will answer your questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor- Gozar
Recruiting Tournaments Editor- greenoaks
Title Design- spinwizard
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives