Conquer Club

Issue 22: 19/05/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
I hope you are all enjoying yourselves out there. Keep sending your submissions, and I will keep putting them in.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Index

Seeking Staff
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with mushin
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

Seeking Staff

The Tournament Newsletter is looking for a new staff member to edit the section regarding tournaments taking sign-ups or reserves. If you are an organized and dedicated person, please contact Gozar for more information.

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

CFL Season ‘08
Organiser: im2good4theboard
Triples

++++Band or Die 2
Organiser: Natewolfman

The Feudal War Doubles Tournament
Organiser: RedRover23B

WWII Extravaganza
Organiser: Kilazul
Quads

Kilzul Football League Season 1

Flame Wars vs. Rest of CC
Organiser: khazalid
Triples

The RTTT Tournament
Organiser: risk-yall100-0
This is a doubles, freestyle tourney

Road to the Final Four Tournament
Organiser: risk-yall100-0
This is a doubles, sequential tourney

The Pimps Doubles Tourney
Organiser: pimphawks70

Feudal Kings Tournament
Organiser: CryWolf/Sd031091
This is a doubles, speed, freestyle tourney

Brigade Commander Tournament - Quads
Organiser: gdeangel

Major+ 2008 Summer Doubles League
Organiser: AndrewB
This is a doubles tourney

1 versus 1 Tournaments

Waterloo League
Organiser: JesusReigns

Avenger’s Initiative Tournament
Organiser: shadowsteel9

You’re The Engineer!
Organiser: brendan man

Classical Tournament
Organiser: Tk 421

Dojo Yaburi
Organiser: SkywardShadow

1v1 Singles League Season 5
Organiser: amazzony & simor
Biggest 1v1 league in CC is opened for new players another week or so.

All maps every maps tourney
Organiser: Tk 421

The Book OFF
Organiser: blakebowling

NBA Season
Organiser: brendan man

Bring It On
Organiser: Lufsen75

General Tournaments

French Tournament
Organiser: sensfan

The Bombardment Tournament
Organiser: barterer2002

Super Quick Tournament Season 2
Organiser: kratos644

Doodle Earth Assassin King
Organiser: hatta76

No Card 4 Player Singles Faceoff
Organiser: kratos644

GameZZone: Heroes of Might and Magic
Organiser: amazzony
Hopefully a tournament series that is based on amazzony’s favourite computer games started with Heroes of Might and Magic. This tournament consists of 6 and 7 player games on Age of Realms (and other) maps
Needed: 28+

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organiser: Gozar
A unique, RPG style tournament were you choose to be a druid, mage, warrior, rogue, ranger, cleric or necromancer. Involves strategizing outside of games. Not for the faint of heart.

School’s Out For Summer 2008
Organiser: Night Strike and Arcee

Racing to Win
Organiser: madman7

Grand Prix Season 1

Battlestar Galatica
Organiser: seamusvibe

Murphy Tourney Season 2
Organiser: murphy 16
This is a freestyle tourney

Beer League
Organiser: Gburg Gunner

Build A Town – Long Winded Series - Part 1
Organiser: max is gr8

Get Your CC Degree at Conquer Club University
Organisers: brandoncfi

Jeopardy! Season 1
Organisers: dittoeevee8888

One Shot, One Kill
Organiser: Natewolfman

Needing Reserves

Reserve pool for all EIOT tournaments
Organiser: Natewolfman, Sir. Ricco, Gozar, jennifermarie, lord voldemort, amazzony, Gilligan, barterer2002

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournament
Teams tournament is a tournament that consists of doubles and triples games that has reached to finals where 2 teams are fighting for win: lustrous pebbles and loveland park gang. Finals is played to 3 wins (lustrous pebbles has a 2:1 lead at the moment)
One or two games remaining.

Monopoly: CC Edition
Organiser: amazzony and simor
Based on a well-known board game Monopoly, we’ve made a tournament that seems to work very well as CC tournament

Conqueror of Conquer Club
Taken over from hulmey, this tournament is slowly moving towards the end, to know who is the best Conqueror here, in CC.
Last round (10 games) and 1 final game left

Cuties!
Simple settings, simple maps. Only one animal will come out of it as cutest.
One game plus final five remaining.

Snowy Rock Races
Drivers from everywhere with their unique and crazy vehicles have gathered together to move from track to track and gain the title of Champion of Snowy Rock Races.

Termination: Portugal
2nd Terminator tournament by amazzony where groups are made according to rank which gives higher ranks a good chance to play fair games.
Three division games and five final games remain.

Termination: Doodle Earth
3rd Termination tournament by amazzony where people who like Doodle Earth map can try their skills in 3-player games.
~2/3 complete

Literature Prize
Every player has a chance to represent a book and be part of writing it.

Amazzony’s Assassinations
One of the few assassin tournaments gives people several chances to kill their target and advance to next round.
About halfway through.

Freaky Freestyle
Organiser: amazzony and simor
This doubles tournament gives a chance to those doubles teams who prefer freestyle team games.

Escape From Hell!
Organiser: keiths31
Round one is almost over. Five out of six games completed.

Canadian Football League 2008
Organiser: keiths31
Currently in Week 3 of 19 weeks. Waiting for a few games to wrap up.

Battle Europe II
Organiser: Gozar
Now halfway through the third round. Still waiting on one round two game.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
Third elimination coming up.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
Round three underway
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Round One underway.
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
Elimination Twelve
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
All games in the qualifying round are running. Threee of eight finalists has been determined.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
Musical Chair is a little tournament for those who enjoy easy maps and single player games. One final game left.
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
Update 10/04/08
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Standings update 30/04/08

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Olympics Part III from amazzony
In the spirit of Olympics, Part III will be 3-8 player games.
Look for it: July/August 2008

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”The Escalating Europe Tournament”- BarbieB
”For Greater Glory”- littlebrother2k7
”The World Leader’s Assassin Tournament”- Gozar
”The Scroll”- banana_hammocks
”Kill or Be Killed Tournament”- john9blue
”++++Band or Die”- aspalm, bigroo4601, hambone, zagi
”Smallville: Future Heroes”- warlord06
”Point Grabbers VII”- corix
”CC Season Championship 2”- DimnjacarStef
”The Foundry Update Tournament 2.0”- Bones2484
”It’s a CC Tournament Charlie Brown!”- BaldAdonis
”Almost Completely Random Tournament”- Natewolfman

Interview with keiths31
This week we had the chance to talk with organizer and player, keiths31. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with Godd. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with White Moose. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, keiths31.

A: Heya, bonjour, hola, hallo, het hallo, oi, Привет, and hei,

Q:How did you find this website?

A: From Answers.com actually. I check out that website daily and one day they featured Parker Brothers or something like that. Through a series of links I ended up on the Risk entry. At the bottom of the page were links to “Computer implementations and video games” and Conquer Club was one of them.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I joined because I used to love playing the game when I was a kid. It was free to try...so why not.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A: Because Gozar created one. Gozar was one of the first people I played regularly with and when I saw he was creating a tournament I wanted to be part of it. I had shied away from tournaments when I first joined...I thought they were only for good players...

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: Because I realized I was a terrible map maker. I had been around here for a while and wanted to contribute. I thought making a map would be easy...turns out not so easy.
So I changed my thoughts to a tournament. I waited until I had an idea...then with some encouragement from my clan mates, I did it.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: Oh I dunno...about a month now.

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A: It is still going on. Canadian Football League 2008. I went with a league style tournament for my first one as they seem to be pretty popular. And being Canadian and a sports fan, I thought it was good fit.

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A: Well the Canadian Football League one I had on my mind for a while as I am a huge CFL fan (Go Roughriders!!). I had played in the NFL Doubles League when that first ran and I liked it. I thought the CFL one would be fun and easy to do.
My second one, “Escape From Hell!”, I was thinking how I could make a franchise type tournament in the style of “Point Grabbers” and “You’re Eliminated”. The Dante’s Divine Comedy theme actually came to me while watching a New Jersey Devils game.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: I am still running my first tournament. It is a season tournament so it is going to be a few months before it is over. But it has been very rewarding so far. It was a nice feeling seeing it fill up in a day.
The first one I played in was fun. I played new players, new settings,,,new maps... and I did pretty well. But it ended like all other tournaments afterwards...with me losing. *sigh*

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: I don’t have any one favourite. Everyone is great in it’s own way.
Gozar’s first tournament ,Battle North America, where I made it to the semi finals is my best showing to date. I love playing the sport themed season ones though. Serbia’s OHL Season, OP’s AHL Season, Spidey’s NHL Season...all great tournaments.
I like Point Grabbers and You’re Eliminated!. They are also well run and fun to play in because they are fast and every game matters.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A: Well the two I have going right now are totally different...and my next one is going to be very different as well. In regards to ones I play...as I mentioned I love the sport leagues. I also like doubles tournaments as I have a great bunch of players I play with...Gozar, Timminz, Serbia, Strider, Bald Adonis.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: I play in mostly tournaments and Clan related games. I am not sure when or why I gravitated towards tournaments so much...could be because my Clan is full of TO’s...
I am one of few people I know that doesn't have a computer in the office at work...so I don't play during the day. I usually check my games first thing in the morning, then again on and off at night.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: Man that was so long ago...I am sure I was happy. It was my fifth game I think.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: I have yet to win a tournament...so they all are disappointing :(

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: Organization. I have played in many that were very disorganized. I learned from some great TO’s...OP, Amazzony, Night Strike, Gozar, Godd, Serbia, Spidey...
When I made my first one I tried to make it as thorough as possible. Having fun is also important. And probably the most important thing...is not having it abandoned.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: OP’s “Point Grabbers” and Godd’s “You’re Eliminated” are headline franchised tournaments. They fill up within minutes it seems. Gozar’s “Battle...” series are also very well run. I only can wish that one of mine becomes a well run and popular like those ones.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: A tournament that anyone can win is very appealing. Fun themes are also important. A great example of a fun theme is Godd’s “Rescue of Optimus Prime” tournament.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: No. I have had good luck so far. The players that have joined my tournaments have been very patient with me when I have made mistakes in creating games. :D

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: The pay is awesome! If I had known it paid this well I would have started running tournaments long ago.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: Making tournaments that are too big for them to handle or see all the way through. Small, well run tournaments are just as fun and exciting as large ones. The mistake I make the most is making the settings wrong when creating games... :lol:

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: Other than making games with the wrong settings...I haven’t made any mistakes that I am aware of. I am sure I will in time... :lol:

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A: I try to update my CFL tournament weekly as games end...but sometimes games go longer than a week. “Escape From Hell!” I update when a game is finished. I like keeping the thread active.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: I don’t know. It is pretty solid the way it is now. This is truly a very user friendly site. I think some people focus too much on points instead of fun. And I like the dice are fine the way they are ;)

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: I like the rules and guidelines put in for creating tournaments. I think it will prevent a lot of abandoned tournaments. I would like to see a tab though for players who are in tournaments to keep track of what tournaments they are in. That may be helpful...I know I could use one :oops:

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Think your idea thoroughly and make sure you can commit to the whole tournament. It shouldn’t be a hassle to run a tournament...it should be fun!

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A:
1. I am too anxious. :twisted:
2. I have to remake games because I create them with the wrong settings. #-o
3. I have yet to win one. :oops:
4. They are addicting to run. \:D/
5. Trying to come up with unique ideas. :?:

Q: Why did you pick the name keiths31?

A: Well my name is not Keith and I am not 31 years old. Alexander Keith’s happens to be the greatest beer ever made. 31 is from my hockey playing days and that was in honour of Pelle Lindbergh. I wore it from the time I was 9, through Junior, and into my beer league days. It has been my screen name since the internet was invented...

Q:I know you are a sports fan. Any teams or sports stand out?

A: I am a diehard Ottawa Senators fan. This year was not a very good year...but at least we did better than the Leafs :lol: I played hockey, in goal, for over almost 30 years. My son and daughter play hockey as well. I also love the CFL. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are my favourite team. I watch the NFL but don’t follow any team in particular. I am involved in beer league slow-pitch in my city and actually run 5 tournaments a year here.

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red naturally...

Q: I hear that you may be the oldest player here (well top 10% anyway). How are you able to compete with the younger players

A: Have you seen my score? Who says I am able to compete with them?

Q:How old are you?

A: Older than you...but not as old as Godd. Is there anything older than Godd?

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: Yeah I have one I am just tweaking right now. It is going to be quite a bit larger than my first two. It is going to be a bit different. Look out for it in the next couple of weeks.
I also hope to have a second installment of “Escape From Hell!” if the first one goes well.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: My time?...I thought I was getting paid for this?

Next Issue

Interview with Godd Godd will answer your questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor- Gozar
Title Design- spinwizard
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives