Dungeon of Draknor - Halls of Testing [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Dungeon of Draknor - Halls of Testing [Quenched]

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:32 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
XML:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... 0fixed.xml
Large:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9821/dodl115lhq5.jpg
Small:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7932/dodl115sel8.jpg

Image
Image
==================================================
Map Information Page

Dungeon of Draknor - The Halls of Testing Concept by Jota / Design & XML by WidowMakers
Map Creation Thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29184
Number of Territories: 37
Number of Continents: 5
Gameplay Features: One Way Borders

Accompanying Story:
    Your sword has had quite a workout today, mowing down the undead minions summoned by the evil sorcerer Draknor to guard his fortress. According to Belegruin, your closest friend and an expert spellcaster, this is the last room before you reach Draknor's lair. While little Garrick -- hired against your better judgement for his quick reflexes and nimble fingers -- checks the final door for traps, you sit back to rest and let the party's healer tend to your wounds.

    "Hold it!" shouts Garrick, "It's a trap!"

    "Then disable it and pick the lock," you answer wearily. "That's what you're here for."

    "No, it's not on the door. It's the whole room. Look at the floor!"

    All of you look down. The floor tiles are covered with strange sigils. They mean nothing to you, but Belegruin clearly recognizes them.

    "The munchkin is right," he says. "This is a teleportation circle with glyphs of warding around the edges... we're trapped here. This enchantment is too powerful for me to break."

    Just then, a deep, maniacal laughter echoes through the chamber. "You thought you might defeat me, adventurers? I am Draknor, the greatest wizard who ever lived! Now you will go where all the others who sought to infiltrate my fortress were sent: into my dungeon maze, a labyrinth of 1-way doors from which there is no escape!

    Can you prove yourself worthy by conquering the entire dungeon and making it safely to the next level alive?
Recommended Gameplay Settings:
    Any
Gameplay Feature Associations:
    1) One Way Borders-All territories are connected with one way doors.
Map Description:
    The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first level of three, for this map series. Due to the fact that every door is a one way border, the way a player defends and attacks neighboring bonus areas is much trickier than on a standard two way border map.
=========================================
Feel free to post suggestions for the Map info Page


The story portion was from the original thread started by Jota. It will stay like that for to most part (theme wise) but additions and tweaks can be made to the sentences.





===============================================================
FIRST POST

I have also been asked to revisit this map that Jota had previously been working on. The original thread can be seen here.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... ht=draknor

Most of the map is the same, I added the Main Gate territory to show the entrance for the map.

While I was in contact with Jota to discuss the development and ideas I came up with some suggestions to alter gameplay. He liked the ideas but did not want the basic gameplay (1-way borders) to be changed. I then proposed an idea to him.

What if I make a 3 level dungeon and each level get more and more XML features and gameplay aspects. He agreed to that.

Level 1- Dungeon of Draknor: Halls of Testing
Level 2- Dungeon of Draknor: Crypts and Catacombs
Level 3- Dungeon of Draknor: Secret of Draknor

So this is level 1. It is a revamp of his original idea. The other 2 levels will be started once the graphical elements are worked out in this one. I wish to keep the three maps as similar in style as possible (doors, textures, title style, etc).

So basically right now the comments I need are Bonus suggestions, colors and door direction.

This is the small map.
Image
Original Map
Image
Last edited by WidowMakers on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:04 pm

i realy don't think that this map is a good one becuase, its too confusing :?
User avatar
Private 1st Class Unit_2
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Wisse on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:48 pm

i love confusing map (as long as they aren't as confusing as AoM) continue!
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 pm

OK.. I need suggestion on this map. Bonuses and directions of the one-way doors.

Or is it done?

I still plan on adding little artifacts things through out the map. Making the floors dirty and grungy. Just like an self respecting dungeon would have.

WM
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:34 pm

WM...are there any copyright issues to be handled here? For the title, concept etc.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cena-rules on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:40 am

maybe make magic and might more contrasting
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
User avatar
Lieutenant cena-rules
 
Posts: 9789
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:27 am
Location: Chat
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby spinwizard on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:39 am

I remember making 1 like this
User avatar
Private 1st Class spinwizard
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 am
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby spinwizard on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 am

User avatar
Private 1st Class spinwizard
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 am
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Iliad on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:21 am

I like this map the only problem is seeing which borders in a continent can be attacked or not
User avatar
Private 1st Class Iliad
 
Posts: 10439
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 am
Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 am

Iliad wrote:I like this map the only problem is seeing which borders in a continent can be attacked or not
I guess I don't know what you mean. The top right corner of the new map has the instruction for attacking. The green arrows are the attack routes.

WM
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

map

Postby WL_southerner on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 am

nice concept map if i have any ideas i come back and post them
friends :- come and go _ i have loads of them
mates :- go and come back_only have a few
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
User avatar
Corporal WL_southerner
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: friends :- come and go _ i have loads of them

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:59 am

cairnswk wrote:WM...are there any copyright issues to be handled here? For the title, concept etc.
1) I will contact Jota and look into the name of the map. We can always make up another if there are any issues.
There does not seem to be anything on wikipedia and there are several other websites and unrelated pages that use the name.

2) As far as the concept goes, Jota gave the project to me to complete (ask Andy). I only needed to keep the basic layout and attacking concept. I could redo the graphics and make minor gameplay changes as the community desired (switching 1-way doors or adding/subtracting them).
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby yamahafazer on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK.. I need suggestion on this map. Bonuses and directions of the one-way doors.


Maybe if you just instead of having 3 arrows for the directions just make the border the same with just a kink in it in the direction that movement is allowed so that the map doesn't look so crowded.

I think that you also might need to make the colures of "magic" and "might" a little more distinguishable.
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Re: Dungeon of Draknor - Reborn

Postby mibi on Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:13 pm

WidowMakers wrote:I have also been asked to revisit this map that Jota had previously been working on. The original thread can be seen here.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... ht=draknor

Most of the map is the same, I added the Main Gate territory to show the entrance for the map.

While I was in contact with Jota to discuss the development and ideas I came up with some suggestions to alter gameplay. He liked the ideas but did not want the basic gameplay (1-way borders) to be changed. I then proposed an idea to him.

What if I make a 3 level dungeon and each level get more and more XML features and gameplay aspects. He agreed to that.

Level 1- Dungeon of Draknor: Halls of Testing
Level 2- Dungeon of Draknor: Crypts and Catacombs
Level 3- Dungeon of Draknor: Secret of Draknor

So this is level 1. It is a revamp of his original idea. The other 2 levels will be started once the graphical elements are worked out in this one. I wish to keep the three maps as similar in style as possible (doors, textures, title style, etc).

So basically right now the comments I need are Bonus suggestions, colors and door direction.

This is the small map.
Image
Original Map
Image


I love the initial idea of this map with all the one way borders and confusing trapped-in-a-dungeon aspect but there is a serious issue with the graphics as far as im concerned.

First off, the title treatment is really great, it fits the mood and style perfectly. Unfortunately the rest of the map looks like some neon electrical diagram. The map part in no ways conveys a dungeon, and taking the dungeon feel out of this map is wrong.

My main issues are two. First, the colors are rediculous and totally unnessasry. Please find a more creative way to convey a separation of territory, try patterns, texture, lighting, but don't overlay the skittles rainbow.

second the 'magic portals' are just dumb. why are they there instead of regular connected one way borders. Since when is a dungeon a serious of seperate chambers connected with bright green magical arrows. This also ruins the style and dungeon aspect. As yamahafazer said above, a regular connecting hallway with a kink or subtle arrow is the proper way to bring this map from the grasp of the rainbow faeries.

I was actually considering revisting this map myself but im glad you took it on.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Dungeon of Draknor - Reborn

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:22 am

mibi wrote:I love the initial idea of this map with all the one way borders and confusing trapped-in-a-dungeon aspect but there is a serious issue with the graphics as far as im concerned.

First off, the title treatment is really great, it fits the mood and style perfectly. Unfortunately the rest of the map looks like some neon electrical diagram. The map part in no ways conveys a dungeon, and taking the dungeon feel out of this map is wrong.

My main issues are two. First, the colors are rediculous and totally unnessasry. Please find a more creative way to convey a separation of territory, try patterns, texture, lighting, but don't overlay the skittles rainbow.

second the 'magic portals' are just dumb. why are they there instead of regular connected one way borders. Since when is a dungeon a serious of seperate chambers connected with bright green magical arrows. This also ruins the style and dungeon aspect. As yamahafazer said above, a regular connecting hallway with a kink or subtle arrow is the proper way to bring this map from the grasp of the rainbow faeries.

I was actually considering revisting this map myself but im glad you took it on.


OK
-I will eliminate the colors (rainbow) but will probably use some browns and grays to help distinguish areas.
-The floors have different texture now, I will try to make that stand out more.

-Change the doors. I guess I kept it the same idea as Jota's because others felt it was OK then. Apparently not now. I will look into several designs and post the m for everyone to evaluate.

Thanks for the advice everyone. These are the things I wanted to get worked out before the other two maps got started. As mentioned above I want as many of the graphical aspect to be agreed upon and standardize for first map so the other 2 levels will look similar an dfeel a part of the whole.

WM
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Next

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jcstriker and 1 guest

Login