Conquer Club

Should i make a map in paint?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should i make a map in paint?

Postby Mr_Niels on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:21 pm

i was wondering, i really want to try to make a map design ( i dont know what i have to do for the rest of the map to complete it) but i only have paint.. should i try? or maybe i can draw a map and someone could finish it..

just asking, no need to flame :)

i just love making maps.. maps in command & conquer, timesplitters, far cry,age of empires, american qonquest, ... im deffinitly a map-man! :D

thx anyways, Niels
Major Mr_Niels

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:32 pm

Paint is a bad idea.
It has very low quality.
I would reccomend reading the "Map Making Tools" thread that is stickied at the top of the forum.
That lists some free downloadable software that you can try.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Re: Should i make a map in paint?

Postby DiM on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Mr_Niels wrote:i was wondering, i really want to try to make a map design ( i dont know what i have to do for the rest of the map to complete it) but i only have paint.. should i try? or maybe i can draw a map and someone could finish it..

just asking, no need to flame :)

i just love making maps.. maps in command & conquer, timesplitters, far cry,age of empires, american qonquest, ... im deffinitly a map-man! :D

thx anyways, Niels

if you can come up with a good idea then make a sketch in paint and somebody will help with the graphics. or you could just download photoshop and learn it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Should i make a map in paint?

Postby oaktown on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:19 pm

DiM wrote: if you can come up with a good idea then make a sketch in paint and somebody will help with the graphics. or you could just download photoshop and learn it.

agreed... there are several folks out there (myself included) who would be more than happy to finish up the graphics on a map if it means not having to spend two months ironing out the gameplay issues.

However, the trouble is that it's hard to be taken seriously if you don't look like you have the skills/software to complete a project. You need a great idea and you need to convice everybody that you're working on PLAYABILITY and that gameplay will come later.
Captain oaktown

Postby Mr_Niels on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 am

thx guys. i dont know how to give the map things so it has gameplay.. i can only design :) but ill try using fotoshop and ill read the sticky.
Major Mr_Niels

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:17 am

Technically Paint can be good enough - but really it'll make your job harder as you don't have some of the really sophisticated tools that other packages have...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Return to Foundry Discussions