Conquer Club

Foundry News - Monday, October 22, 2007 - First Post

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Wisse on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:45 am

maybe my princes of twilight map can be added, maybe not, i am not currently working on it but i will after the china map (can be found in map ideas, though no idea where)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:02 am

My idea won! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know which I like better, but I'm glad everyone agreed with it. 8)
Major Night Strike

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:29 am

edbeard wrote:I wouldn't say weekly is necessary. I know that once every two weeks seems like forever in forum time. But, more things are going on so they would be more information filled.

I think other things like Cartographer Corner could be cool. They can pick a topic and talk about map making. Or, maybe just answer questions with a different cartographer each time. Setting up a Gmail account would probably be a good idea.

Maybe something like more general How To's on map making. Things to expect when going through the process, typical mistakes map makers map etc..

Those are less newsy but maybe will generate more interest to go along with the more news related postings.
I love these ideas. Maybe with the interview could come a bio section. A more in depth look at the people of the foundry. It is of course your choice who to pick Coleman. Maybe getting to know everyone a little more might help easy tensions and give everyone a better feel of how a particular person reacts and responds to topics based off of the interview questions. Plus with an interview the Foundry outlook (Map size, rules, etc) can be flushed out and a better cross-sectional opinion of the total map work flow can be generated.

But overall I love the idea, the update on maps was good too. I enjoyed how you explained each one well and I had forgotten a few until I read this.

Great Job.

Hey I just had an idea. It might be a long shot but what if a major player from each forum got together and every 2 weeks or so they made a newsletter. What Coleman is doing here would be the foundry portion newsletter. The email would be a CC styled sheet with a brief overview of each section and then links to each particular sections page. If it was an automatic (with option to remove) email, everyone would get the current info on each topic. Just an idea
Major WidowMakers

Postby unriggable on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:33 am

WidowMakers wrote:Hey I just had an idea. It might be a long shot but what if a major player from each forum got together and every 2 weeks or so they made a newsletter. What Coleman is doing here would be the foundry portion newsletter. The email would be a CC styled sheet with a brief overview of each section and then links to each particular sections page. If it was an automatic (with option to remove) email, everyone would get the current info on each topic. Just an idea

I have one for the Clubhouse.

'Conquerclub's unofficial Mouse War rages for the second week today. Moderators commented on how the war is an unnecessary waste of posts and has simply devolved into a series of 'hit-and-run' spamming. Many posters not involved in the self-proclaimed 'vigilante hunt' (by both sides) said to the Foundry Newsletter that they found it difficult to find a topic not already hijacked.
The war began roughly a month ago when a clan by the name 'Pikachu Clan' (named after the yellow mouse from the game series 'Pokemon') opened it's doors to the posters of the Clubhouse. Instantly their ranks were filled by volunteers, most of whom are within 12-15 years of age. However many who were not in this clan simply refused to join upon invitation, and moreover spammed the thread, claiming it had a hypocritical title.
The Mouse War escalated when a second group of posters created a Ling Ling clan, named after the mouse from the TV series 'Drawn Together. The thread which hosted the Ling Ling clan was bombarded by nonstop spam efforts from the Pikachu clan. Many other threads which were started by Ling Ling members were subject to equal punishment.

Unriggable reports.'
Cook unriggable

Postby yeti_c on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:38 am

And they wonder why people don't go in that waste of space forum?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:28 am

Coleman...congrats on your idea for the Foundry News. I had a good cackle about some descriptions. I wish you every success on this venture and will support you 100% of the way, and hope it doesn't get hijacked in the process. :wink: :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:40 am

Briliant, its great CC news topic.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 am

unriggable wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:Hey I just had an idea. It might be a long shot but what if a major player from each forum got together and every 2 weeks or so they made a newsletter. What Coleman is doing here would be the foundry portion newsletter. The email would be a CC styled sheet with a brief overview of each section and then links to each particular sections page. If it was an automatic (with option to remove) email, everyone would get the current info on each topic. Just an idea

I have one for the Clubhouse.

'Conquerclub's unofficial Mouse War rages for the second week today. Moderators commented on how the war is an unnecessary waste of posts and has simply devolved into a series of 'hit-and-run' spamming. Many posters not involved in the self-proclaimed 'vigilante hunt' (by both sides) said to the Foundry Newsletter that they found it difficult to find a topic not already hijacked.
The war began roughly a month ago when a clan by the name 'Pikachu Clan' (named after the yellow mouse from the game series 'Pokemon') opened it's doors to the posters of the Clubhouse. Instantly their ranks were filled by volunteers, most of whom are within 12-15 years of age. However many who were not in this clan simply refused to join upon invitation, and moreover spammed the thread, claiming it had a hypocritical title.
The Mouse War escalated when a second group of posters created a Ling Ling clan, named after the mouse from the TV series 'Drawn Together. The thread which hosted the Ling Ling clan was bombarded by nonstop spam efforts from the Pikachu clan. Many other threads which were started by Ling Ling members were subject to equal punishment.

Unriggable reports.'

Damn those yellow rodents! :evil:
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks for the support and ideas. cairnswk sent me some information that made an update easy so I did it. The blogs will have to wait as I have a suspicion that my work network has blogs banned and will kill me if I try to touch xanga.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Wisse on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 am

Greater China - Clicky
Start Date: January 14, 2007
Creator: Wisse

Map of China, possibly not set in the present. Otherwise it is mostly true to native names. This map is currently finished if the current possible XML error turns out to be a fluke.

coleman this xml error is a fluke (<country> must be <territory>)

so i only have to do the tiny version of the map
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 am

A fun read, Coleman! I like the idea, especially if you can keep it up. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Good news on the Solar System: I have received an email response from maxdetjens, and the map will be returning soon. Here is the text:

"Sorry about the delay. I had the opprotunity to start a new business.
Now that thats pretty well in hand I am working on the next update to
the map. Look for updates on Sunday as well as new comments on the thread.

-Thanks!"

*Investigative work courtesy of Night Strike.
Major Night Strike

Postby unriggable on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:35 pm

Night Strike wrote:Good news on the Solar System: I have received an email response from maxdetjens, and the map will be returning soon. Here is the text:

"Sorry about the delay. I had the opprotunity to start a new business.
Now that thats pretty well in hand I am working on the next update to
the map. Look for updates on Sunday as well as new comments on the thread.

-Thanks!"

*Investigative work courtesy of Night Strike.

Night Strike has the news when it comes to vacationing mapmakers. I think this should be stickied and the first post should just be edited instead of having numerous 'articles' (if you will) here and there throughout the site.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Like I could just make a new reply with the old paper and then change the first page to the new one every week and change the title to reflect the latest 'issue' if that makes any sense? I know it isn't exactly what you were thinking but it is an adaptation of it I think would work.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:43 pm

I personally think it would be the best to make Coleman a mod in the Anouncements section, and have a Foundry News thread, have it locked, and just post every new article.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Gozar on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Coleman wrote:Like I could just make a new reply with the old paper and then change the first page to the new one every week and change the title to reflect the latest 'issue' if that makes any sense? I know it isn't exactly what you were thinking but it is an adaptation of it I think would work.

I think that is the best way to go about it. Keep the freshest edition as the first post.
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby hulmey on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Great start Coleman....and love the narative and very true but unbiased bits :D....

It would be great if you could receive it as a email every 2 weeks and would also keep people interested in CC...

If you decide also to go with a newsletter (email) type production we could also include cairns movers and shakers (im his wittle helper on that 1). Any help you need just pm me!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:57 am

greater china has no xml problems anymore :), currently bussy with the tiny map
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby oaktown on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:22 am

September 15, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Press Release: "Oaktown Announces Founding of New Third Party re. Foundry Politics"

Play the Game, Damnit!

Our platform is this:
• The mods represent a friendly dictatorship. They want what is best for the community and they have their eye on what the system can best provide at this time.
• The rebels represent the idealists. They want what is best for the community and have their eye on a utopian future for our society.
• Mapmakers should be respected. The creation of a map is an arduous creative endeavor by the mapmaker, and creativity and vision should be recognized.
• Mapmakers should be supported. The creation of a map is also a collaborative effort by the community, and maps should be inspected and opinions offered.
• Playing the Conquer Club game is more fun than leaving posts about it.

Membership requirements:
Anytime you see that one of these threads about rules or how much the Foundry sucks is at the top of the forum, find a map that is in progress and leave a comment to BUMP it up to the top.

The era of the PGD has arrived. Join me and we will walk hand-in-hand into a new golden age!
Captain oaktown

Postby hulmey on Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:31 pm

So oaktown would you be like a Shop Steward?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Coleman on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 am

Sorry to say I'm not sure what oaktown was trying to do, but it all sounds good. I suppose.

I'm going to do a new update Thursday. The next news post will have a new section called "Movement" where it just briefly lists maps that have changed status in the past week. Also, people who sent me information on more maps being listed in the Map Foundry list will be added then.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Coleman wrote:Sorry to say I'm not sure what oaktown was trying to do, but it all sounds good. I suppose.

I'm going to do a new update Thursday. The next news post will have a new section called "Movement" where it just briefly lists maps that have changed status in the past week. Also, people who sent me information on more maps being listed in the Map Foundry list will be added then.

Coleman...there is already something like this posted in General Discussion which hulmey and i were doing....don't know if that can be of any use.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27288
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:50 pm

hulmey wrote:So oaktown would you be like a Shop Steward?

Are you kidding? I spend too much time at this site as it is! I just want to make good maps and help other people make good maps, though sometimes I may be prone to going off on tangents. :oops:
Captain oaktown

Postby Coleman on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:01 pm

I used the wrong words I think... I mean if a map is moved from Map Ideas to Map Foundry, or from Map Foundry to Final Forge I'll have a section for it.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm

So do you have the power to sticky this now, or does lack after to approve all stickies??
Major Night Strike

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions