Conquer Club

XML Suggestions and Modifications II

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: XML Suggestions and Modifications II

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 am

Calculate Killer Neutrals After Objectives and Bonuses

The order that things are apparently implemented now, with killer neutrals applied before objectives and bonuses at the start of a turn, is pretty useless. If you move killer neutrals down the execution list after bonuses, mapmakers gain a couple of gameplay options: killer objectives that need to be held simultaneously and one-time bonuses that have to be recaptured. I'm not saying this would open up a whole new world of experience, but it's better than the present state of affairs and I'm guessing it wouldn't take long to implement.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 pm

That's a very good idea.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby trapyoung on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Suggestion Idea: Assign Random Neutral Army Value

Currently for maps that create random drops like Classic or Alexander's Empire, for example, the number of neutral territories are affected by the number of players occupying the number of regions on the map but are assigned an army value of 3. Other maps like Age of Realms, for example, have differing neutral values but they are assigned to specific territories. Allowing XML coding that would allow the mapmaker to create the value of neutral armies that are randomly assigned would allow for whole new features to be implemented into maps. Imagine a map where three randoms will be dropped into a normal territory map but the values of the random armies are more than 3, if the value was, for example, 99 it would effectively preclude movement through that region and could act as a territory block. Certain maps could use these effects to simulate nuclear weapons being detonated or if the map was a Metro/Rail map it could simulate a random accident along the railways that would prevent users from moving on that designated path. Each drop then effectively would be altered not just by how individuals are dropped on the map, but by how the map operates itself causing the amount of strategy and thinking to see which territories and directions users should plan to head for to change. It would virtually create a moving map.

Also, if the zombie neutrals idea is ever implemented, instead of allowing a neutral deploy on a turn, it could be designated that the neutrals, for example let's assume these are nomadic warriors on a map like Peloponessian War, that could attack but because they are limited groups with limited supplies, would not receive reinforcements and allow them to attack themselves down from an original value assigned by the mapmaker.

Colonel trapyoung

Postby trapyoung on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am

No reply? It's been two weeks, I thought it was an interesting suggestion
Colonel trapyoung

Postby theBastard on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 am

very good topic. was any of ideas here used in XML?

sugestion: auto-deploy conditions

descriptions: we have territory with +1 auto-deploy each turn, but if player holds one special territory (capital, holy place) the territory with +1 auto-deploy will has +2 auto-deploy.

why it should be considered: more possibilities for auto-deploy and balance between manual-deploy and auto-deploy (because there are many options how make manual-deploy higher but no one for auto-deploy).
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am

You're right, it would be a great thing to have. Conditional Autodeploy has been at/near the top of my wish list for over a year now :-(
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby theBastard on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm

MrBenn wrote:You're right, it would be a great thing to have. Conditional Autodeploy has been at/near the top of my wish list for over a year now :-(

thanks MrBenn. where is problem? mods did not want it?

off notice, but is any chance that we will have bigger maps? (for example 840 x 800 will be playable?)

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:56 pm

theBastard wrote:
MrBenn wrote:You're right, it would be a great thing to have. Conditional Autodeploy has been at/near the top of my wish list for over a year now :-(

thanks MrBenn. where is problem? mods did not want it?

off notice, but is any chance that we will have bigger maps? (for example 840 x 800 will be playable?)

We have had I think 2, maybe 3, XML updates in the last 18 months. Lack, until recently the only programmer, hasn't had the time (relative to other priorities) to code any more than that.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby theBastard on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:52 pm

TaCktiX wrote:We have had I think 2, maybe 3, XML updates in the last 18 months. Lack, until recently the only programmer, hasn't had the time (relative to other priorities) to code any more than that.

o.k. hope he it will be done soon.

Postby theBastard on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 am

sugestion: standard bonus only for start of game

descriptions: when game is set up as auto-deploy units at the start of game players could deploy their standard +3 bonus, but during game the standard bonus will be not valid. only continents bonuses and maybe any number of unts for any nimber of territories.

why it should be considered: this could help from start to maps build on auto-deploy and could give more possibilities of strategy at the start.
I had broken my right hand (4-5 month ago) and now I have wrong adherent knucklebone of the thumb. therefore I have some problems with it and I must end my works on maps.sorry my english

Postby pimphawks70 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I personally won't play any map with a dice adjustment. Terrible idea that ruins the integrity of R*sk.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here, but I have to agree. The majority of these suggestions IMO seem to stray too far from the original concept of a certain board game. Not sure if I'm alone here, nor am I trying to belittle the suggestions, but I feel like CC should try and stick (somewhat) to its roots.
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 am

Suggestion Idea: Random Bonus

Description: A different unknown territory would give you a certain bonus each turn. (Using the Classic map, Manila might give you a +1 bonus one game, and in another game, Johannesburg might give you the +1 bonus) The xml might go as follows:
Code: Select all
<territory>
   <name>Manila</name>
   <borders>
      <border>Hong Kong</border>
      <border>Beijing</border>
      <border>Novosibirsk</border>
      <border>Tokyo</border>
   </borders>
   <coordinates>
      <smallx>198</smallx>
      <smally>189</smally>
      <largex>299</largex>
      <largey>278</largey>
   </coordinates>
   <randombonus="1">1</randombonus>
</territory>

The <randombonus="1"> is for if you want other territories to be in a different random set. (Thus, if a territory were in a different random set it might look like <randombonus="2">1</randombonus>)

Why It Should Be Considered: Would add some interesting aspects, such as having random "capitals", like 1 random capital per map or per continent, or "hidden bonuses". It would allow for a more radically different experience each time you play.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 pm

In my experience with gameplay development, mapmakers contend with two annoying arbitrary restrictions: Having to have a certain number of starting territories so that the first player doesn't get an advantage through the territory bonus; and having to put neutrals or starting positions on small continents so the first player doesn't get an advantage from dropping a bonus. The former problem I've addressed in part but I'll modify it here to be more useful, and the second has a simple solution below.

Suggestion Idea: Minimum Neutrals, v2

Description: Let a single XML tag for the map specify that at least N territories in the map start neutral. The tag can be set to apply only with specific numbers of players. For example, with 48 territories, a deployment problem only occurs in a 4-player game. If you can code it that a 4-player game gets 4 random neutral territories, then you can have a 48-territory map on any of the other player settings.

Why It Should Be Considered: Means that mapmakers no longer have to set specific territories to start as neutrals in order to get a fair number of initial territories. Gives mapmakers that much more control over gameplay.

Suggestion Idea: Nobody-Drops-a-Bonus-Zone

Description: Let the XML define sets of territories such that no player will have the entire set at the start of the game. The sets must be mutually exclusive (and probably exclusive from start positions) and must have more than one member. There is a simple algorithm for ensuring this:
  • Produce a random ordering for the K players such that each player occurs once.
  • Fill up the no-drop zones one at a time from your list.
  • If you reach the end of the K-player sequence, generate a new random sequence of players. If the first player of the current sequence is the same as the last player of the previous sequence, move that player to the end of the current sequence, to ensure that no player is positioned twice in a row.
  • If you fill up the no-drop zones completely, randomly distribute the rest of the current player sequence before proceeding with regular territory distribution.
  • If you reach the maximum number of player territories -- say, if the entire map was made of no-drop zones -- make the rest of the map neutral (the only caveat with this is that it's likely to leave the last couple of continents entirely neutral; this might be overcome by randomly assigning the neutrals first, and then proceeding with the rest of the distribution).
This algorithm should, for the most part, run in linear time.

Why It Should Be Considered: Means that mapmakers no longer have to set specific territories to start as neutrals in order to prevent players from dropping unbalanced bonuses. Gives mapmakers that much more control over gameplay.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Suggestion Idea: delimit negative region bonus

Description: now we have negative region bonus (autodeploy) where player lost each turn any number of army. my idea is to do that if player fulfil any condition (hold capital...) he will not lose armies here. but his "enemies" will lost armies here.

Why It Should Be Considered: it could be used to represent civil revolts against foreign forces, it could represent guerilla war. it is about loyality to (capital) owner.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Suggestion: Killer Neutrals V2

Description: Killer neutrals reset at the end of one's turn, rather than the beginning of his next. For example, on Lunar War, if the Missile Bases had V2 killer neutrals, I attack and conquer all 17 neutrals on the base to take it over, then go on attack as per usual, but when I finish my turn (click "End Reinforcement"), the base resets back to 17 neutrals.

Why it should be considered: Makes it so that Player B can just go thru the one troop Player A left on the Missile Base (in this scenario), but instead has to go thru all 17 neutrals, just as Player A did. Seems more fair IMO.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Team starting positions (XML suggestion)

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Concise description:Program XML to deploy specifically deploy teams
    Specifics/Details:
    XML should be able to specify starting position for team mates, so that maps can be set up with teams set up even and fairly. (i.e. make position a, b, c and d for team a)

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
      I would like to make a map (Yes, I know I've tried before and not finished, but I'm going geometric this time. should be much easier ;) ) ANYWAY, there are hundreds of people on here who have gotten really good at playing dubs on specific maps, but there's really no dubs specific map yet. This would make it much easier to come up with maps designed to accommodate teams, but still able to be played in standard/terminator/assassins.
Captain Mr_Adams

Re: Team starting positions (XML suggestion)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:Concise description:Program XML to deploy specifically deploy teams
    Specifics/Details:
    XML should be able to specify starting position for team mates, so that maps can be set up with teams set up even and fairly. (i.e. make position a, b, c and d for team a)

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
      I would like to make a map (Yes, I know I've tried before and not finished, but I'm going geometric this time. should be much easier ;) ) ANYWAY, there are hundreds of people on here who have gotten really good at playing dubs on specific maps, but there's really no dubs specific map yet. This would make it much easier to come up with maps designed to accommodate teams, but still able to be played in standard/terminator/assassins.

Maps oriented around the very idea of team gameplay sounds...interesting. That and this idea would rise at about the same time, if it were to be so. I think that'd be neat.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Please post your XML suggestions here: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103961

If a mod could merge this topic over there, that'd be fantastic ;)

Cheers,
Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

AH SHIZ! An XML thread. I don't do this stuff often =P
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby blakebowling on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Please post your XML suggestions here: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103961

If a mod could merge this topic over there, that'd be fantastic ;)

Cheers,
Sully

I can't merge it into that thread, since I don't have privs there. But I will ship it out to the foundry, someone there should find it.
Private blakebowling

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Suggestion Idea: Welcome messages

Description: A tag that allows addition of a welcome message/text to the XML. This text would be shown in the game log on the first turn, either only once or once for each player...

Why It Should Be Considered: This text could be utilized by mapmakers to create mood and to accentuate the theme of the map, or it could be used to highlight important features of the map that new players (to the map) are likely to not notice... I'm sure it could have other uses as well.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

MrBenn wrote: Game Start Message
Just a simple xml tag to define a message posted to chat or the game log at the start of every game on that map.

Mostly for storytelling or "setting the mood"

Would need standards set - under x number of characters, yes/no to "map created by", "Beware the prison of Alcatraz for you shall never escape it" is a gameplay tip but in character so to speak where "Alcatraz has no outward borders" is just an explanation - which, if either is acceptable, etc etc etc.

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<map>
   <title>Classic</title>
   <smallwidth>600</smallwidth>
   <smallheight>325</smallheight>
   <largewidth>800</largewidth>
   <largeheight>433</largeheight>
   <filetype>jpg</filetype>

<startmessage>”"Beware the prison of Alcatraz for you shall never escape it."</startmessage>

</map>

:P
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Psht, reading the whole thread is for geeks.

Postby Riskismy on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 pm

natty_dread wrote:Psht, reading the whole thread is for geeks.

I guess that makes me half-way geek. ;)

The earliest suggestions are more than 2 years old. Are there any time frame for their implementation?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 am

Time in the Foundry is a stretchy concept.

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions