Conquer Club

Copyed maps(Andy read)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby bryguy on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 am

why didnt he email you??
Corporal bryguy

Postby gimil on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 am

Im but amused lol
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 am

gimil wrote:Im but amused lol

those were my thoughts exactly :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 am

Now that's interesting...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby RjBeals on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 am

That is the email above. I didn't get much from it, besides the fact he used to be here in these forums promoting his own "hobby" webpage. And I guess he used to ask map makers for permission, but since his ban, he just starting taking the maps.

We don't spend the money to officially copyright these maps, so there's nothing I can really do. From what he says, he used my map as a reference to create his (although I don't buy that). The textures & drop shadows and everything are so close... I would think he used the clone tool to take out names & whatever else.

But there's really not much i can do. Without copyright, anything I post on the internet can be used by anyone else as they wish.
Private RjBeals

Postby yeti_c on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 am

RjBeals wrote:That is the email above. I didn't get much from it, besides the fact he used to be here in these forums promoting his own "hobby" webpage. And I guess he used to ask map makers for permission, but since his ban, he just starting taking the maps.

We don't spend the money to officially copyright these maps, so there's nothing I can really do. From what he says, he used my map as a reference to create his (although I don't buy that). The textures & drop shadows and everything are so close... I would think he used the clone tool to take out names & whatever else.

But there's really not much i can do. Without copyright, anything I post on the internet can be used by anyone else as they wish.

Not strictly true actually - I'm pretty sure that once you have created something you automatically own the copyright for it...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Regarding Mr. GrandStrategy, he indeed was Forum Banned a while ago due to his obsessive posting in our Off Topics area promoting his website. He basically had a couple of threads, where he pitched ideas, look for feedback, borrowed game play ideas, etc. Quite frankly speaking, he was a pain. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Mr. GrandStrategy is his username?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Nope, just how I'll refer to him. I'm sure you can find his username if look hard enough, but I don't want to necessarily (publicly) encourage harassment of the poor fellow.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Well here is what I found after a quick search
http://www.piercelaw.edu/tfield/copyvis.htm

Copyright arises automatically once an original effort has been started and some aspect of it has been fixed in a tangible medium (including those for use with computers). One need not even have notice on published copies. Registration is required only if legal action is warranted. However, giving notice and promptly registering works provide important remedial advantages in the U.S.

Copyright does not give an owner the right to sell or distribute a work. For example, consider one person's drawing of another's painting. Even if copyrightable (and it may not be), the drawing would infringe copyright in the original painting.

As discussed earlier, copyright gives its owner the exclusive right, for example, to reproduce protected subject matter (such things as ideas and facts being excluded). Sometimes a question arises as to whether a second, similar work was copied or independently created. If the person creating a second work had access to the original work and the works are virtually identical, copying is likely to be presumed even if the chance of access is remote.

http://www.the-artists.org/exh/art-copyright.cfm
When does copyright apply to a work of art?
As soon as an artist creates a work of art, it is protected by copyright. Artists (or their agents) then have the right to determine how and when a work can be reproduced. Although copyright laws vary from country to country, generally the duration of copyright is 70-75 years after the death of the artist. After this time, the work is no longer under copyright and can be reproduced without additional clearance or fees. Any artwork created by a living artist or an artist deceased fewer than 70 years may be subject to copyright. As such, the artist or their representative must be contacted for copyright clearance and they are entitled to royalties.

SO based on this stuff RJbeals, your map has been stolen (as far as I see it). The new artist had copies of your works and plainly said he use them to make his own. And they basically look the same. I am not sure if you have any desire to pursue legal action but I think yo umight have a case.

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Nope, just how I'll refer to him. I'm sure you can find his username if look hard enough, but I don't want to necessarily (publicly) encourage harassment of the poor fellow.

--Andy
What do you mean poor fellow? Don't you mean thief? I think it is horrible how a person can think they just clone out the names and army circles of a map and think they did not steal it.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby gimil on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:06 pm

RJ get recognition and royalties :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:18 pm

Thank you WM. I've asked him to remove the map, or redesign it. I'll let you know what his response is.
Private RjBeals

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:00 pm

RjBeals wrote:Thank you WM. I've asked him to remove the map, or redesign it. I'll let you know what his response is.

You see...I told you... :roll:
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby RjBeals on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Bryan Brunton wrote:
Rob,

Which portion of the outline of Italy are you claiming copyright on?

I have clearly stated to you that I copied no graphic content from your map. My map was produced entirely by myself. I looked at your map and made a new map that is different in many ways. This is outside of copyright law.

Let's go over this again: nothing was copied from your image to mine. Not a single pixel of data.

You created a map of Italy, using certain colors and dimensions. You are saying that it is now illegal for anyone to make a map of Italy using similar colors and similar dimensions? That is ridiculous.

You have acknowledged yourself that there are differences in my map of Italy and your map of Italy. Those differences are plainly obvious. So my map in no way falls under an attempt to identically reproduce your map.

Here's Bryan's response. Andy - you're correct, he is a pain. He obviously feels his map is unique, and will not be taking it down. I'm not thinking I'm not going to pursue this legally, as I don't have the time or money. But it sure does suck. Where is this kids decency and morals?
Private RjBeals

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:25 pm

legally youcan't do anything even if it's a blatant copy. the thing is he didn't actually make it identical.

for example if i copy monalisa but add a wart on her nose my work is ok because it's not identical. at least that's what i understand from what WM posted
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Then how come when RK tried to copy maps from Lux, we had to stop?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Lone.prophet on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:34 pm

why cant someone hack his comp to death?
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Then how come when RK tried to copy maps from Lux, we had to stop?

really?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Qwert on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Aim visit these site,and i must say that CC,have hes clone site.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby hulmey on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:03 pm

OMG, you guys are just talking shit!! Conquer Club knocked of Risk Hasbro!! Did Conquer Club get sued?

So just imagine RJ sueing Grand stragey LMFAO!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:08 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Then how come when RK tried to copy maps from Lux, we had to stop?

really?

Im pretty sure. I remember when he tried to make like a Mesopotamia City States Map, and someone from Lux came over and told him he did not allow for its completion.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:51 pm

DiM wrote:for example if i copy monalisa but add a wart on her nose my work is ok because it's not identical.

Actually it's because the original painter has been dead for over 70 years...it's either 40 or 70 years after the original author dies that copyright for that piece is no longer valid.
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
DiM wrote:for example if i copy monalisa but add a wart on her nose my work is ok because it's not identical.

Actually it's because the original painter has been dead for over 70 years...it's either 40 or 70 years after the original author dies that copyright for that piece is no longer valid.

:x

then replace monalisa with the linux pingu :lol:
Major DiM

Postby edbeard on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:01 pm

I don't think RK HAD to stop with the map. But, it would be in bad taste not to do so. They'd feel the same way we feel right now. Also, I doubt Andy and Lack would allow the map to be developed when they found out it was copied from Lux.
Lieutenant edbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions