Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Mars

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What option do you think is better?

Total votes : 0

Postby a-person1192 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 am

however you are correct but for the most part the maps that are made now use mountains and rivers for their barriers and impassables, whereas Mars as i said before Mars other than Olympus Mons, Valles Marineris, and a bunch of craters and other valleys, has no great geographical locations. so instead i am more or less using regions of mars. if you notice the grey line follows different colouration on mars so it does follow some geographical notation, but is not entirely accurate to specific craters and valleys.
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby Snowpepsi on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Good job. Still working on your finals?
Captain Snowpepsi

Postby a-person1192 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Snowpepsi wrote:Good job. Still working on your finals?
had a three day weekend now i have to study
Cook a-person1192

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:57 pm

It's looking better, and certainly taking shape a bit.

The background you've done looks a bit blurry (DiM mentioned something about it), and it hurts my eyes. Once you've sorted the double-image look of it, perhaps it's worth toning it down or changing the transprency so that the white of the stars isn't so blinding.

Talking of transpaency, that's what you need to do with you army circle s- make them slightly transparent so that the background shows through.

Oh, and don't worry about using Photoshop 7 - I'm using Photoshop 6! What you need is the practice at making the best of the functionality available to you.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:33 pm

a-person1192 wrote:however you are correct but for the most part the maps that are made now use mountains and rivers for their barriers and impassables, whereas Mars as i said before Mars other than Olympus Mons, Valles Marineris, and a bunch of craters and other valleys, has no great geographical locations. so instead i am more or less using regions of mars. if you notice the grey line follows different colouration on mars so it does follow some geographical notation, but is not entirely accurate to specific craters and valleys.

I kinda suspected this... it would make for a more interesting map if there was something to it that made it particularly 'Martian.' Otherwise you could just take a cirlce, put these lines on it, and call it a map. As it is, I fear this won't get a lot of play.
Captain oaktown

Postby Coleman on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Aside from the current state of the image, I like the gameplay of this a lot and think it deserves it's shot. If we can get clearer about what we want out of the image after the next update this can start moving forward again.

Right now I think it's still too hard to tell which color is which. Maybe the continent color lines shouldn't die at the gray lines but trace around them.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby a-person1192 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Coleman wrote:Aside from the current state of the image, I like the gameplay of this a lot and think it deserves it's shot. If we can get clearer about what we want out of the image after the next update this can start moving forward again.

Right now I think it's still too hard to tell which color is which. Maybe the continent color lines shouldn't die at the gray lines but trace around them.
Ok i will try to look at that

oaktown wrote:I kinda suspected this... it would make for a more interesting map if there was something to it that made it particularly 'Martian.' Otherwise you could just take a cirlce, put these lines on it, and call it a map. As it is, I fear this won't get a lot of play.
Out of our 70+ maps which are frequented? my point is there are a lot of maps that most people dont play on.
Cook a-person1192

Postby a-person1192 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Lanyards has contacted me about doing the xml, he says he has knowledge so he is doing the xml for this map. :D
Cook a-person1192

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:45 am

a-person1192 wrote:however you are correct but for the most part the maps that are made now use mountains and rivers for their barriers and impassables, whereas Mars as i said before Mars other than Olympus Mons, Valles Marineris, and a bunch of craters and other valleys, has no great geographical locations. so instead i am more or less using regions of mars. if you notice the grey line follows different colouration on mars so it does follow some geographical notation, but is not entirely accurate to specific craters and valleys.

Um, Olympus Mons and Valles Marineris are pretty much the very definition of great geographical locations. They're huge, and in the case of the latter, planet-spanning.

And why not be accurate to specific craters and valleys? If there's a good gameplay or graphical reason, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I don't see why fidelity to the physical reality of the planet is something to be ignored. It would be like making a map of the US and drawing territories that don't take into account the Rockies or the Mississippi River.

a-person1192 wrote:
oaktown wrote:I kinda suspected this... it would make for a more interesting map if there was something to it that made it particularly 'Martian.' Otherwise you could just take a cirlce, put these lines on it, and call it a map. As it is, I fear this won't get a lot of play.

Out of our 70+ maps which are frequented? my point is there are a lot of maps that most people dont play on.

This is worth repeating, because I can't help but notice that instead of answering his essential question ("what makes this map properly Martian, and not just lines drawn randomly on a sphere?"), but instead basically said that as long as the map gets made, you'd be cool with this being the 68th most popular map on the site.

And I also can't help but notice that every time I post a trenchant and no doubt annoying opinion/request/whatever, you basically say that it's a change you either won't or can't make.

Here's the thing: oaktown's absolutely right. There's no rhyme or reason to the territories, and there's nothing, other than territory names and a stock background, that makes this map at all "Mars".

If this is still only the roughest of sketches, that's one thing. But that's not what you're saying. You seem relatively cool with the graphical precedent you've established. But there's a long way to go with the graphics on this map.

I get that the graphics come later, but to this point the graphics haven't even been well enough approximated to even have a discussion about territories and bonuses. If you do end up emphasizing some physical elements of the Martian surface, that will change around the territories. You could also put a few human settlements on the surface to have additional bonuses. Whatever.

And no matter what happens with the graphics on this map, there has to be some sort of justification for how the territories are drawn. Geography's your best bet.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud. I've been nosing around this thread from the beginning, and I'm supportive of the concept. But I think that you're far enough in this process that it's time to start asking the hard questions.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby a-person1192 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 pm

Please look and compare

Cook a-person1192

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:55 pm

whats with the stars? it looks like u made 1 million small white squares and put them on
Corporal bryguy

Postby a-person1192 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:22 pm

bryguy wrote:whats with the stars? it looks like u made 1 million small white squares and put them on
io am currently fixing them
Cook a-person1192

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:43 pm

A Mars map is a great idea. For a while I fiddled with it, but I really couldn't get anywhere with it... MS Paint is so limited sometimes...

I grappled with the same problems, till I put it on the shelf... Mars is all desert, with few impassible features. As an Earth & Space Science major in college I could rattle off tons of stuff I know about the surface of Mars and it's geography.

The biggest thing I'll tell you that really hampers this board is the fact that you only show one hemisphere. There are plenty of other features on the other side that can only enhance the board. I like the addition of the 2 moons, but feel they would be better off placed closer together on the map and made into a 'continent' which would connect best to Olympus Mons. Olympus sticks way out from the surface almost all the way beyond the atmosphere, and would be a logical anchor point. Points could connect to the moons from any or all of the other 3 massive Thrasis volcanos.

Trying to find natrural borders is tough on Mars since ther is no water, on ice at the poles to act a barrier. The only suggestion I can give you is that there is several areas on Mars that are Natural low points and high points. It's suggested that much of the Northern hemisphere may have been an ocean basin many eons ago. Of course data coming back now also suggests that ther may be large aquifers of water ice beneath the surface near the south pole, a natural high area. :shrugs:

Making 'higher' areas inaccessable to 'lower' areas might be the way to go, allowing for 1 way attacking in a few spots to make sure everything is fair.

Good luck kiddo, you're a better man then I to get this posted up... what else might you expect from Red Planet, home of the God of War? 8)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:24 pm

a-person1192 wrote:Please look and compare

That in no way shape or form addresses any of my concerns.

What's the point of soliciting comments if you're not even going to respond to them?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby a-person1192 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:02 pm

so if i were to say, make olypmus mons and valles marineris seprate continents with maybe an auto deployment if both held. would that make any difference in anyones opinion?

"RedBaron0"

{Trying to find natural borders is tough on Mars since there is no water, on ice at the poles to act a barrier. The only suggestion I can give you is that there is several areas on Mars that are Natural low points and high points.}

this is the reason i employed the impassable grey line.

Incandeza

{Here's the thing: oaktown's absolutely right. There's no rhyme or reason to the territories, and there's nothing, other than territory names and a stock background, that makes this map at all "Mars". }

-what do you mean by rhyme and reason for the territories? All of the territories are named after Martian craters, plains, and valleys. Doesn't that seem pretty Martian to you?

{And no matter what happens with the graphics on this map, there has to be some sort of justification for how the territories are drawn. Geography's your best bet. }

-that is the reason for the map.

I am also trying my best to accomplish all of this. Please do be specific about things, for being new to this everything everybody says that isn't specific is a jumbled mess of words to me.

sorry couldn't figure out how to quote when writing a message. Didn't click quote"
Cook a-person1192

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 pm

RedBaron0 wrote: MS Paint is so limited sometimes...

MS paint is not allowed to be used for making any maps :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Was only preliminary stuff... I couldn't get it to work and gave up. ](*,)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Was only preliminary stuff... I couldn't get it to work and gave up. ](*,)

eh, first map i ever tried to make when i was really new was one of mars

looked crappy :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby a-person1192 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:45 pm

my official "to do list"

fix stars,

make olympus mars and valles marineris separate continents with plus 1 auto deployment if both held,

highlight outlines of continents,

make army circles more transparent,

anything else i forgot?
Cook a-person1192

Postby bryguy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 am

a-person1192 wrote:my official "to do list"

fix stars,yay!!!

make olympus mars and valles marineris separate continents with plus 1 auto deployment if both held, cant be done with current xml, it would have to be +1 autodeploy on the territories on the 2

highlight outlines of continents, good for you

make army circles more transparent, good, i like transparentish things

anything else i forgot? you forgot a few

• Make a small/large version
  • Find someone to do xml
  • Get this to Final Forge/Quenched
  • Make bryguy the supreme ruler of the world
Corporal bryguy

Postby a-person1192 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:10 pm

bryguy wrote:
a-person1192 wrote:my official "to do list"

fix stars,yay!!!

make olympus mars and valles marineris separate continents with plus 1 auto deployment if both held, cant be done with current xml, it would have to be +1 autodeploy on the territories on the 2

highlight outlines of continents, good for you

make army circles more transparent, good, i like transparentish things

anything else i forgot? you forgot a few

• Make a small/large version
  • Find someone to do xml
  • Get this to Final Forge/Quenched
  • Make bryguy the supreme ruler of the world
well i have someone for the xml, posted it earlier.

Lanyards has contacted me about doing the xml, he says he has knowledge so he is doing the xml for this map.

I don't think he will have a problem finding a way to have a deployment for olympus mons and valles marineris

I don't know about supreme ruler of the world Bryguy....
Cook a-person1192

Postby a-person1192 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:46 pm

new map update
fixed most things

small

and large

time for xml?
Cook a-person1192

Postby lozzini on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:03 am

wot gray line?
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby a-person1192 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

lozzini wrote:wot gray line?
that big thing that runs throughout the map.
Cook a-person1192

Postby a-person1192 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 pm

a day has gone by with only one reply? odd
Cook a-person1192

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box