Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Peru

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Peru V 4.5

Postby wisemanpsemc on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Looks good.

I agree with the sentiments about s. desert.

Also the coloring of the regions for Lima and Central Highlands makes them seem like they are their own region. I had to look at the region chart a couple times to realize that they are part N. Highlands. It is almost like the mountains and the color difference give the feeling of a new region.
Major wisemanpsemc

Postby ender516 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:05 pm

wisemanpsemc wrote:Looks good.

Also the coloring of the regions for Lima and Central Highlands makes them seem like they are their own region. I had to look at the region chart a couple times to realize that they are part N. Highlands. It is almost like the mountains and the color difference give the feeling of a new region.

Then there is a problem, because -- correct me if I am wrong -- there was some discussion about this not long ago and it was made clear that Lima and Central Highlands are not part of any bonus region. If you look closely at the unexploded minimap, the portion representing these territories is omitted.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby wisemanpsemc on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:07 pm

ender516 wrote:
wisemanpsemc wrote:Looks good.

Then there is a problem, because -- correct me if I am wrong -- there was some discussion about this not long ago and it was made clear that Lima and Central Highlands are not part of any bonus region. If you look closely at the unexploded minimap, the portion representing these territories is omitted.

If that is the case then I think the unexploded minimap should somehow show these even if they are not part of a region bonus. I looked at it for awhile trying to figure out how they fit into the minimap and it looks like the answer is they don't, not sure I like them being omitted. Just my 2 cents.
Major wisemanpsemc

Re: PERU

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Rih0 wrote:
2nd: the ports are strategical points. They can assault each other.

Did this change at some point? Currently they don't appear to. I do love the minimap, its great although as noted the names need to be clearer.

In general though I tend to discuss gameplay rather than graphics so let me get to that

I guess my first question is the bonus. It says +1 for any for territories inside Peru plus Lima. As I read this, in a four player game such as the one displayed in the maps, each player begins with 6 territories right? All of them inside Peru? So in a 4 or fewer player game taking Lima itself is a +1 as long as you hold your deployment. Not saying that's good or bad, just making sure i'm clear.

As far as the bonuses go, they're going to be somewhat hard to hold with all the access. Should make it an interesting free flowing game. No real bottlenecks as most of the regions are accessable from multiple points. Looks like a fun one to play.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Rih0 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Barterer2002:
About the ports, look at page 9 or page 8.
the rest is ok.

Wisemanpsemc:
Look at the bottom of the image. that will explain everything about bonuses and neutrals. (Non neutral regions are of course, open for deployment)
About s. desert and the minimap, that's another reason for moving it to the grafics workshop.
Private Rih0

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I feel like you shouldn't get quite as hefty a bonus for the surrounding countries, since it is about Peru, but maybe that's just me. I mean, the outer countries are already strategic ways to break an opponent's bonus, especially since they start as neutrals (which I love, btw). I'm not saying drop the bonus altogether, but just make it a bit smaller.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Rih0 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 pm

I undertsand your point, but as you said, the will start as neutrals.If I keep a low bonus, players won't be interested in conquering 5 neurals (15 troops) for the bonus. they will prefer killing another player, since it's a small map.
Private Rih0

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:19 pm

I like a lot of this map, but i'm not a fan of of how the key and region bonuses mini map are laid out ... you have a lot of open blue water that seems like wasted space when all the text is crammed in that left side.

Great job thus far cant wait to play on this one =)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby ender516 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:21 pm

I think dolomite13 has a point about the legend. If the Passables and Impassables were moved into a box with the Keywords, filling more of the ocean at the bottom of the map, then the rest of the bonus information could perhaps be expanded. An increase in size of the minimap and of the related text might make it all clearer.

EDIT: Of course, these are really graphical concerns which may be a bit premature here in the Gameplay Workshop.

Postby Rih0 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm

so... what's the veredict?
Private Rih0

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Onward and upwards...

Just keep in mind the advice given by the surveryors ;)
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Rih0 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

thanks.
Private Rih0

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Bravo! =D>
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Rih0 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Ok, now I need of any idea for grafics you can give for this map.
Private Rih0

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Land texture, maybe? Also, more vibrant colors for the bonus areas would be nice.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:55 pm

- The sea could use some texture.
- what's that weird thick bevel you have on the edges of the land area? Seems out of place to me.
- the land borders (between land & sea) seem a bit smudgy at some places.
- I'd lose the glow on the ports.

Also, at this point I'd recommend starting to work primarily on the large map. When you have the large map in good shape, you can resize it to the small.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RjBeals on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:29 pm

too much outer glow on the fuzzy docks.
Private RjBeals

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 am

Also the dotted lines that connect the docks could stand to have a smoother curve.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby haoala on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 am

i like how this is coming along...

do ensure that the legend for the river routes is clear. i was looking for lakes/blue squares in the map on thinking that those were the passables :D

Perhaps you could make the dots brighter, or the sea darker, or edit the legend altogether
Gain the upper hand
Lieutenant haoala

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:18 pm

I much prefer your first draft, (graphically). So I went ahead and used it for the base of my illustrated suggestions.

1.) the colors IMO, should be more of a light, sunshine feel. After all this is the Equator region.

2.) The bevels look better reduced to just a hint on the edges.

3.) Move the legend to the top. (or right side).

4.) The Nasca Lines, and geogliphs, are Peru's most famous tourist attractions. So maybe you could include the whale geogliph, in the title or something.

Good luck on this one, RihO. :D
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Rih0 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:21 pm

thanks pork, Im already working on an update
Private Rih0

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:13 pm

I agree with pork in the sense that the image he posted has a clearer layout. But I disagree about making the colours light and faded, they don't really relay a south american jungle feeling. Your current colour scheme does that better. Check out the existing Brazil map, that's a great example of a map that really looks like south america. Something like that is what you should aspire for.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Well, Wikipedia (which is NEVER wrong ;) ) tells me that Peru has the costa, a dry plain in the west, the selva, a jungle in the east, and the sierra, the highlands in between. So I see the west as bright and sunny, the east as dark and humid, and the centre could be either or both. Playing with the colours does run the risk of making the regions and zones more difficult to distinguish. Right now, they are not bad.

Re: Peru V 4.6

Postby Rih0 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:09 pm

thanks for the help. here it is:

V 4.6:

And as natty asked, the big map: (just a rough start)
Click image to enlarge.

I got some questions:

1) are the mounts ok?
2) any concerns about the river?
3) do you have any better idea for the sea?
4) Land colors will be kept, mabe I can use a darker green on rainforest, BUt, what about the land itself? it's fine like that?
Private Rih0

Re: Peru V 4.6

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:19 pm

You really need to loose the bevel on the border of the map.
If you are going to go with a clip of "real" water, I would suggest that you Go to google earth and pull a snap shot of Peru at an angle that matches your water clip. I like it, and think that it would work out pretty nice. You could then do some color overlays to get the different bonus regions. As it is now, the water just does not mesh with the land.

About he topography of Peru. Yes it does have some "jungle" areas, (just like anywhere else), but it's populace cities are not in the jungle. Most of the country is arid desert. Especially on the coast, where most of these cities are located.

Peru like many countries has a variety of climate zones. You can represent these areas with appropriate colors, Greens for the jungle areas, and tans and pinks for the desert areas. But the water is a "light" color that you would find at the Equator regions throughout the world. The shade of the new water clip is just about right.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box